Lifting the wheels, with no Pitbull stand?

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

A picture is worth...

I have a lift, so I just loop a ratchet strap over the seat, then under the lift table and then tighten to lift front wheel up to height desired. No pics available.

I've has less expensive stands but Pit Bull is certainly the best.  I just use the center stand and if needed a jack stand  under the skid plate or exhaust.  On my old FZ6 I did all kinds of work on it with just the center stand, pulled the swingarm and the steering head bearing that way.  For my sport bikes used a rear stand and a front stand but wound up going to a Woodcraft stand for the front that went into the bottom triple clamp.

PitBull quality is fantastic and if you buy one used it can always be resold for what you paid for it.

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, piotrek said:

Why would it need to be Pit-Bull? I understand that they are pro quality big-brand tools, but... 🤔.

I have had cheap(er) front and rear paddock stands for years and they worked just fine for occasional home use. I have managed to find ways to not use them at all on the FJ. YMMV.

because rocket science lol

I ended up grabbing the pair off of CL for $100, and the front stand is like 1-2" too short for the Tracer and is not adjustable so it's currently sitting on wood to shim it to a height that I can remove the front wheel. Upon shimming it to remove the front wheel, I learned that it also is not big enough in the base so I had to remove my front fender to allow the wheel to come out.

Is it the end of the world? No, but Pitbull is designed the right way and I know it would last me forever ;)

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:47 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I still use my F & R PB paddock stands, as the center stand is a bit low with the PB front.

But both alternate methods work WITHOUT the skid plate installed. 

I found out just the other day that my combo PB front stand (and my cheaper similar ft stand) will not work with radial caliper forks!!!  I'm going to call PB on this one!

I've always before added the steering head pin yolk and lifted from there even with the PITA need to 1st remove my dual pancake horns and oem weather plug.

I'll have to ponder some alternative methods.  I have a gantry I made eons ago to lift and suspend the front or rear without the CS or paddock stand; the rear is hung from the rear subframe and front from frame spars near the head. Works great for swing arm, shock and steering head bearing maintainence.

What do you mean your PB combo won't work? That's the model I was looking at buying

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, ItsTracerTime said:

...the front stand is like 1-2" too short for the Tracer and is not adjustable so it's currently sitting on wood to shim it to a height that I can remove the front wheel. Upon shimming it to remove the front wheel, I learned that it also is not big enough in the base so I had to remove my front fender to allow the wheel to come out.

My front stand was also short for the task, but a 2x6 board on either side of the wheel did the job. No rocket science there... but agree, something adjustable like the PB would certainly be a nice-to-have. Still... the stand mostly just gets in a way IMO, so it's collecting dust ATM.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 9:37 AM, Brock said:

There's always the old trick of doing one wheel at a time

🙂

MADNESS!!!  😉

wheel.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 3

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

So, I put a shackle into a stud above where I work on the bike and use some ratchet straps the handlebars, and use the center stand.  I've done a few wheel swaps this way and a full suspension swap easily.  Its stable enough if you aren't a mad man around the bike :)   And clearly you need to be aware of balance, so it doesn't rock backwards.   But it works for me :)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 100933.jpg

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

So, I put a shackle into a stud above where I work on the bike and use some ratchet straps the handlebars, and use the center stand.

I see that you have the crash bars on there... could do this >>>

1931065502_Screenshot2023-02-09213800.png.886453fa182c43a2de8274bb45564356.png

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif