2023 Honda Transalp

knyte

• Supporting Member

Looks like it's dropping soon...should be interesting to see how well it fits into the segment.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, knyte said:

Looks like it's dropping soon...should be interesting to see how well it fits into the segment.

Its a nice looking bike, much cleaner lines than the new Suzuki VStrom 800, It will be interesting to see the comparison between the Trans Alp, V Strom and Tenere. 

My only complaints are, non-adjustable suspension? and no cruise control?  Why?  IMO if a bike has ride by wire, equip it with cruise control, its a no brainer.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I see it as a budget ADV bike.  The mechanical engineering seems sound, but the bike itself is slim on luxury features.  5 riding modes, TFT screen.  TC and ABS can be disabled by programming a 6th user-configured mode.  "...comes with smartphone connectivity for navigation, music, calls, and messages," but they're not clear what that means.

Given the lack of electronic gadgets keeping the cost down, it should fit in somewhere around a T7 maybe?  We'll see what the US-spec version brings.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

21 hours ago, betoney said:

Its a nice looking bike, much cleaner lines than the new Suzuki VStrom 800, It will be interesting to see the comparison between the Trans Alp, V Strom and Tenere. 

My only complaints are, non-adjustable suspension? and no cruise control?  Why?  IMO if a bike has ride by wire, equip it with cruise control, its a no brainer.

I've always been a Strom fan "owned 3" and think that new 800 will be a homerun for Suzuki......but WTF no cruise control or factory heated grips either!!! Hate these new bikes with 21 inch tube front tires as well, that's just asinine. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Yamaha has me spoiled with that triple.  Not sure I can go back to a V or a parallel twin.

I'm always interested in new bikes, how they're engineered, and what they offer.  The Transalp has some cool features, but it's not a bike for me, personally.  The 18" rear and 21" front suggest off road-capable, but it's clear it's a slab-oriented bike that can *manage* off road, whereas the T7 (for example) is the other way around - it's dirt-oriented that can manage slab.

1 hour ago, micah2074 said:

Honestly, I’m not excited at all about anything with a parallel twin. 

Buddy of mine races a new Aprilia parallel twin, it seriously hauls ass and has power everywhere.......he loves and now races with it more than his V4 Aprilia. Yamaha's PTWIN is one helluva engine as well, and Honda/Suzuki/Aprilia/KTM have also adopted that platform. 

• Premium Member

They’ve adopted the platform because it’s cheaper to produce. Not because of performance advantages.
As far as parallel twins go, I’ve ridden (not owned) the r7, 07, Africa twin, and a super10 and a triumph bonneville. They didn’t do it for me.  

Let’s go Brandon

Yeah I hear you on what you've ridden, but that Aprilia RS660 is sure an impressive machine from what the consensus says. The Super10 is agricultural at best, but have another buddy with a KTM Adventure 790 that is no slouch in the performance department.......but choices in bikes/engines is a good problem to have eh? :) 

• Thumbsup 4

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I still love my RD400 & VTR1000F

Hey, people used to think a single was more than enough.  Go thumpers!

They are if you use a trailer or stay only on state or country roads.