2023 Honda Transalp

knyte

• Supporting Member
On 10/18/2023 at 3:51 PM, Heavy said:

like a lighter version of my old 1000 V-Strom

Interesting comparison.  I also liked the DL1000, but OMG heavyyy.  Very very comfortable bike, though.  I could have ridden it for days on end.

I'm also curious how you find the handling.  That's one thing about the DL1000 I didn't like - or, had trouble adjusting to - the larger front wheel.

Congrats!  Looking forward to hearing more adventures!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

14 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Congrats and really like the color, how's it handle with that big 21 inch front wheel? You also going to get a bash plate and some panniers/racks?

I haven't really given the handling a real test.  Certainly seemed to change directions easily and tracked well once set into a curve. I hope to get more miles in the next while.   I'll get a better feel for it.

I think the available bash plates are overkill.  I'd prefer something smaller to just give the sump some gravel/rock/stone/debris protection.  Not planning on doing any log hopping or rock bashing.

I've got a few different throw-over luggage options.  Don't think I'll bother with racks and hard cases.

• Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:22 PM, Heavy said:

I haven't really given the handling a real test.  Certainly seemed to change directions easily and tracked well once set into a curve. I hope to get more miles in the next while.   I'll get a better feel for it.

I think the available bash plates are overkill.  I'd prefer something smaller to just give the sump some gravel/rock/stone/debris protection.  Not planning on doing any log hopping or rock bashing.

I've got a few different throw-over luggage options.  Don't think I'll bother with racks and hard cases.

Yeah I agree that many sump guards and even crash bars are pretty intrusive and large, but I would highly recommend removable luggage racks for mounting any soft bags, also are so amazing for lashing down anything else on the bike securely. 

5 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Yeah I agree that many sump guards and even crash bars are pretty intrusive and large, but I would highly recommend removable luggage racks for mounting any soft bags, also are so amazing for lashing down anything else on the bike securely. 

I did a test-fit of my SW Motech semi-soft bag.  Sits on the bike really well.  I think it's going to work great.  Bonus is that, once I load the bag, I'll be able to slide it forward to work as a backrest.  😉SW2.thumb.jpg.190bdb65b5a7bab6fa194136efb0e973.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 8:37 PM, knyte said:

Interesting comparison.  I also liked the DL1000, but OMG heavyyy.  Very very comfortable bike, though.  I could have ridden it for days on end.

I'm also curious how you find the handling.  That's one thing about the DL1000 I didn't like - or, had trouble adjusting to - the larger front wheel.

Congrats!  Looking forward to hearing more adventures!

The Stroms "except for latest versions" all had 19" wheels and handled almost as good as a 17" front IMHO. The Multistrada, GS, Super Ten, KTM Adventure and Tiger 1200 and a few of the Tiger 900 also run a 19" and all handle very sportsbike like. :)

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 10/21/2023 at 3:21 PM, Heavy said:

ISW2.thumb.jpg.190bdb65b5a7bab6fa194136efb0e973.jpg

That is a nice looking bike. I am going to give it a serious look at the next opportunity. It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket looks like in a couple of years... i.e. suspension, cruise etc.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

10 minutes ago, piotrek said:

That is nice bike looking. I am going to give it a serious look at the next opportunity. It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket looks like in a couple of years... i.e. suspension, cruise etc.

There are shocks and cartridges available already.

There is a company working on a cruise control option.  Sounds like they are getting close.

https://veridiancruise.ca/products/pre-order-honda-xl750-23-transalp

• Thumbsup 3

16 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I just read up on the transalp

It's got a high seat and weighs 459 wet how much less is that then a tracer Not much And tall I don't get it

Seat height is the same as my 2020 Tracer 900 GT.  Also, Honda has a factory low seat (-20mm available).  Maybe read a little more.  Not telling you to like the bike but don't shoot down what you don't know.

Tracer

GTinfo.jpg.9a1a62eb02ce6340b252cf56ee7d196a.jpg

Transalp

TAseat.jpg.137b3b051433a2faaf5fa82026dcb2a1.jpg

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/xl750-transalp/2023/

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/tracer-900gt/2018/

Edited by Heavy
  • Thumbsup 1

Got out for about 250 kms today.  Mostly quiet, twisty, secondary roads.  Cold and clear day with almost zero traffic.  Really miss having cruise control but, beyond that, I feel the Transalp is a far better fit for me.  More comfortable riding position, for me.  Much better wind management, for me.  Much narrower down low so easier to manage when stopped or paddling around, for me.  Far easier to get your toe on the sidestand tab to put it down, for me.  The gas gauge shows the level dropping by individual segments more representative of the actual fuel level.  First tank of fuel got me over 65 mpg (Imperial).  Wonder if that will get better as it breaks in or worse as it breaks in ... and I start using more of the tach.  😉

I put over 10,000 kilometres on my Tracer last year.  I really liked the bike but, overall, I think the TA and I are going to be much better friends.  👍

taroad.thumb.jpg.c23b5a7ddf5fa5f7259e4b32376c3447.jpg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2