Gas OT

Bob K

On 3/26/2023 at 7:34 PM, Bob K said:

Has anyone tried using 87 OT in there Tracer 900 ?

I always look for gas that contains 0% ethanol, specially if I filling the tank before storing the bike for the winter. That being said I have used lower octane on long rides and not noticed any difference. 

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Here premium is a buck more!

So less than $5 more per fill up, it’s like $.75 here so $3. 

I’ve never understood the penny pinching that happens with things like oil and fuel, and especially with fuel the lengths people will go to save $2 or $3 on a fill up, but that’s me……..

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

But I do agree with you mostly

Me too. It's a topic that has been over-done to death and is probably engine-specific. But we do know that E10 et al are lower in energy density. Less HP per litre.

As an anecdote on my old V-Strom I used to go cheap and fill with E10 all the time, but when I switched to 91, which is about 10% more expensive here, my range increased by probably 20% The difference was very noticeable.

The manual said both fuels were fine and the bike ran just as well on both so I have no clue as to whether there were any internal consequences (build-up, etc) but simple arithmetic led me to conclude that buying the cheaper fuel compatible with my engine was more expensive.

As a consequence I did the same thing with my car and got much the same results, so now I avoid E10 whenever I can.

Edited by ZigMerid
Add note about car
  • Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, miweber929 said:

So less than $5 more per fill up, it’s like $.75 here so $3. 

I’ve never understood the penny pinching that happens with things like oil and fuel, and especially with fuel the lengths people will go to save $2 or $3 on a fill up, but that’s me……..

Maybe if you put 5000km a year it makes not much difference but if you ride 50 000 it counts.

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, Rick123 said:

Maybe if you put 5000km a year it makes not much difference but if you ride 50 000 it counts.

… and I guarantee the bill you might be facing to de-carbon your engine or R&R the cylinder head to remove and clean valves and seats will negate any cost savings.

-S

• Thumbsup 3

5 hours ago, Rick123 said:

If you're putting on 50,000km (so like 31,000 miles) a year on a bike you are most likely also either not driving a car or have other means with which to travel a lot more than the average person so probably don't have a huge money issue. 

Rough math on your 50,000km/yr: Averaging 45 mpg means $3,450 in fuel at $5 a gallon, $2,760 in fuel at $4/gal, $690 different. If you get only 2 miles more per gallon on premium, subtract $200 off that, if it's only $.50 difference between regular and premium subtract another $345 off. Reduce your speed by 4 mph and you can get better mpg, makes it even less. And yet some of those same people bitching about the fuel costs have no issue spending $1,000 on an exhaust, $400 on an ECU flash all in the name of performance but think that higher octane fuel isn't worth it.

My point is the amount of work people do to save $200 a year, $5 on a fill up or even under $20 on an oil change by going aftermarket and cheap oil vs. OEM stuff is crazy to me. To sit for a half hour or more at Costco or Sam's Club to get a bit of savings on fuel means my free time isn't worth anything. Mine is. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, nhchris said:

And don’t even think about running a car tire on the rear!! ;)

Darkside me, Baby!!   😳

26d394d7a04aa60591cc6ba8a1a29816.jpg

• Haha 2

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member

I come across 87 as the only option when I ride in remote areas. Sometimes it's just "regular", or "gas" mystery fuel. On my bike (2015 FJ, flashed) the fuel economy suffers, and the bike runs just a bit rougher. Loss of 40km in range could become a memorable experience 😁. Factor that in when planning a trip into the sticks. It's 91 Octane otherwise.

churchill_falls_gassbar.thumb.jpg.16377c7447f3a25b33bc1efc1cc150e9.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, piotrek said:

I come across 87 as the only option when I ride in remote areas. Sometimes it's just "regular", or "gas" mystery fuel.

A buddy and I were on a road trip and getting gas in a remote location.  The gas station attendant saw we were on bikes and apologized for only having 87 regular (he just assumed that all motorcycles required 91 premium).  He came out with a bottle of octane booster and put a cap full in each of our gas tanks...  😄

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***