FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Big, and I think all that distortion around the hand guard bends would drive me nuts. I thought I'd like this one better.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• Premium Member
Interesting that Givi gives you a frame to increase the air gap on the reverse. That was a partial solution on a previous bike, the BMW R1150GS, where a guy called Toby invented the Tobinator extension bracket.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guys,

I purchased an Ermax large in clear and installed it for about 20 miles. It's just not for me. I think if I was taller, it would be a GREAT shield to keep wind off your body, but not your helmet. I'm 5'5" / 5'6" and it hits me right in the head on my short seat. If anyone is interested in purchasing, PM me and we can work out a deal.

Picked up the smoked Ermax Sport Screen ( 35cm ) and could not rip off the stock screen fast enough.

Im 5'10, 32 inseam, and have to say compared to the stock screen, this has to be by far the best $112.92 I've spent in some time. While there was some wind noise at 75, it was by far superior to what I have been experiencing from the stock screen.

I have the SHARK Speed-R Sauer helmet and the screen for me works best at the middle setting. There was not ( for me ) much difference in the low vs medium, so I may end up going w/ the lower setting for appearance ascetics only. 

IMO, very well built, and I really like how it works with the bike, and not against its styling. ( Kinda foo-foo I know, but hey, it does look good! )

Here it is out on the maiden voyage:

20150601_164939.jpg

From the front: 

How's the screen on highway... Would be great if u sitting on it with helmet on and provide I side photo... 

No idea! It was pouring down last night and 50mph winds today ie Scottish summertime! Once I get a better spell of weather I will take it out for a run and get some snaps.  I might shift all this to a post of its own also, saves one massive thread on all things windscreen.

I just installed the large calsci touring screen. I'm 187 cm also.  
In the highest position, there is a lot of still air and greatly reduced wind noise. If i duck down below the screen, pretty much no noise.
In the lowest position, i get a bit more flow on my helmet but it remains quiet.

Much improved over the stock in eiher position. No bufeting. and very much quieter.

Only down side may be that it is too still now and a bit warmer as a result. Yesterday was 91F (33C) here. I'm going to cut my stock sceen very low to minic no screen.

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

I just installed this beast today. Holy moley is this thing ginormous. In the high position the air just tickles the top of my helemt. Hand guards clear on all settings, and I am so effing glad to get rid of the obnoxious, stock screen, head pounding buffeting.

All my troubles have been cured, my hurts healed, my buffities calmed.

I expected the screen to be good; it is excellent. I now sit in a bubble of calm. The screen without the extension was almost tall enough for my big frame, the extension made it perfect. Visor open to 90mph, no issues.

Turns out the bike is quite noisy now that I can hear it. Deliberately didn't wear plugs, was interesting to hear all the mechanicals.

Anyway, more to come, for now share my happiness with me :)

While waiting to figure all options for a touring screen I put 1/2" spacers on the bottom 2 windshield mounts.
It lowered height a bit over an inch and increased the tilt of the stock screen.

Not a perfect solution but an improvement for this 6' 1" with 34" inseam rider.

I put 1/2 inch spacers under my screen in all four positions to allow more air up underneath it, using M5x0.8 30mm long screws.  It does seem to be somewhat better, especially when there's not too much traffic ahead.  

I had a Givi Airflow on my '12 VStrom and loved it--it wasn't the best looking screen, but it was really effective and quiet.  Hopefully Givi will offer something in that line that somewhat integrates with the bike.