If you could trade the Tracer for another bike

larolco

48 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Oh I'd repair that for sure, then take the extra money and buy a second bike. ;) 

That may or may not be a legal option on a 2020 bike in Canada.

It's hard to gauge what damage there might be in those murky photos, but I do get the impression that's perfectly repairable, especially if you're willing to live with a few scratches. Whether that's an available option legal-wise and insurance-wise, I have no idea.

This varies depending on where you are; here in Indiana, I got knocked off my 16 year old V-Strom 1000 in a roundabout by an errant Ford a few years back. After much faffing around and ambulance dodging (they had never seen an ATGATT rider before, and were expecting a mop and bucket sort of situation when an excitable bystander called in a motorcycle crash), I continued my grocery mission and rode home. The bike wasn't seriously or functionally damaged, and was just fine aside from some scratches after a new handlebar and a brake lever, and some sanding and paint on the crash bars.

The bike was "totaled" financially, but because it was more than seven years old, I had the option of keeping the bike without the need to switch to a salvage title. I could get a check for the entire value of the bike from the Ford occupant's insurance and let them haul it away for scrap, or I could get a check for the value minus the scrap value, keep it, and do whatever I wanted with it, up to and including continuing to ride it.

With a newer bike, repairs would have to be documented and/or done by a shop, and the bike would get a salvage title, greatly reducing its future value. 

The details of all this vary state-to-state in the US, and also vary according to the insurance involved. So I'd suspect there's even more variation from US practice in Canada, which, in case you didn't know, is a whole 'nuther country.

Sure would be a shame to throw that bike away, though. Unless it's bent and broken in ways we can't see.

• Thumbsup 4

Yeah, the photos aren't that revealing. Most of the damage is of the relatively minor variety. The problem is that there is a lot of it, mirrors, plastic paneling, turn signal, engine case (both sides), all footpegs and brackets (rider and passenger, rear brake lever, gear shift, tail assembly, entire headlight assembly and windshield plus bracket that attaches to the triple tree. Both handguards, swingarm, fuel tank (minor). Top case. So, that, plus labour, all adds up in a hurry. And then, there's the issue of damage that will only be revealed upon disassembly. I suspect the handlebars and subframe may be tweaked as well.

I just got off the phone with the insurance company and they didn't say a flat-out "no" to the idea of paying out the cost of repair, and said it may be a "possibility" once there is an appraisal completed. Their threshold for writing it off is 80% of its insured value. 

I did take a cash pay out when a similar thing (less damage) happened to my old V-Strom, so it used to be possible up here in BC and may still be. Just a waiting game now. I'm open to the idea as long as I don't end up with a salvage title. I don't mind riding a bike with a few nicks and scratches in it, especially as a commuter. The swingarm, for example, is probably only cosmetically damaged. 

Looks like I'll be doing physio for a while anyway. Neither ankle is fit to ride a bike right now and my left wrist is pretty sore as is the whole left side of my torso. All soft-tissue injury and who knows how long that will take to heal. 

I can tell you though, those Alpinestar Belize boots took a direct hit, blew out the buckle and stitching, but saved my ankle from worse injury. I'll buy them again.

• Thumbsup 4

Thanks to everybody for the new bike suggestions. I'm using them to see what's available in my area and make a short list. Some of them I wouldn't have initially thought of, like the Ninja, but that's definitely a possibility. The Triumphs, too. And like, Ride365 said, maybe this will turn into an additional bike, though my wife won't likely stand for three bikes in the stable. And insurance rates, being what they are in these parts, make it prohibitive. 

• Thumbsup 3

9 hours ago, larolco said:

those Alpinestar Belize boots took a direct hit, blew out the buckle and stitching, but saved my ankle from worse injury. I'll buy them again.

I've been waffling about buying a pair ... think you may have given me the required nudge.  Thanks.

• Thumbsup 2

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

I have a few pairs of boots but the A-Stars Belize look to be a good step up.

Gaerne mid-cut dirt ... nice rigid soles so great for standing on the pegs but not comfortable.

A-Stars Ridge ... comfy and easy to walk around in but not a lot of protection

A-Stars SMX ... higher cut and better protection but getting old and certainly not waterproof

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Good gear is critical.  Last week called up and made an appointment with my orthopedic doc to have a look at my knee.  He reattached to patella tendon almost 8 years ago after a 15 mph crash pulverized the bottom quarter of my kneecap.  I have no limitations but messed it up a month ago taking photos of a Porsche track day.  Too much aggressive panning plus too much walking and then I helped out out by doing more walking to get in better shape for the Barber Vintage Festival where I didn't help it either.  A good pair of riding pants with knee pads would have saved lots of pain and suffering.  

Earlier this year I replaced my 2020 Tracer 900GT with a 2021 Miata.  Many reason with the primary one being to reduce stress in my wife's life.  I'm 6 months cancer free after prostate cancer surgery plus being on a blood thinner plus having an enlarged aorta are addition major risk factors.  I mostly rode my Tracer on long 2 to 3 week trips and the shorter local rides had been dwindling.  Took the Miata on a "short" long trip to North Dakota and while different it was a fun put the top down have wind in your hair experience.  Doing the trip in early September meant I was in a heat wave.  It is so nice when it starts raining to just put the top up 🙂   It's not the same but a fun experience and after a 58liter duffle bag and the two side cases the Miata trunk is huge!  What I miss most is the exciting acceleration and the synergy of man and machine that a well ridden motorcycle yields but the tiny convertible is a different but very fun experience.  I could have bought a Corvette convertible or a Porsche Boxster but the simple easy to maintain Miata is perfect for me.

• Thumbsup 4

50 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

...I could have bought a Corvette convertible or a Porsche Boxster but the simple easy to maintain Miata is perfect for me.

Some years back I had an endurance racing teammate who's day job was as an auto test driver for Bridgestone/Firestone, at their big track in west Texas. He got to drive everything, from Ferraris/Lambos down to Geo Metros. He always said that a Miata was the most fun car to drive.

• Sad 1

I am and have always been a proponent of ATGATT, though I have been known to ride in shorts and T-shirt on short summer jaunts to the local store. I am very grateful I was wearing the full complement on this day. My Klim Badlands gloves are scuffed up, as are my Gerbings pants and jacket (both brand-spanking new this season), and the Alpinestar boots. My head never touched the ground, so I can't attest to the LS2 helmet's protective qualities. There are a couple scrapes on the visor, but I don't know what that's from, perhaps flying debris, or maybe my own flailing limbs. Now that I think about it, maybe the visor glanced the windshield on the way overboard. 

As for myself, I'm still waiting for physio. I think I'm at the point now where I can manage that. Left wrist was held captive against the handguard and is badly wrenched. I'm operating one-handed at the moment. No clutch work for a while. Right leg suffered a major contusion where the car hit. No riding boots on that leg for a while. The rest is whiplash stuff (back and neck) and that's probably the worst. 

I did a bit of a deeper dive on the bike damage today. All the front plastics are damaged, even if some only minor. I also discovered the left fork tube is gashed from the headlight assembly bracket being shoved back into it. I think the replacement of the part and associated labour is pretty big on that one, as is the cost of replacing the gouged up swingarm. Those two may put it over the edge. If it were just the rest, the bike is repairable with little labour - just bolt-on parts. The bike is still sitting in my shop. I'm waiting word on what the appraiser says about the photos I sent before they decide if they want to send the bike for in-person estimate/repairs. Sounds like that might take a while. 

In the meantime, I swallow muscle relaxants, try to keep moving around, keep work going in my absence, and type stuff like this in short bursts. So, wear your gear, folks.

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
On 10/20/2023 at 6:13 PM, larolco said:

those Alpinestar Belize boots took a direct hit, blew out the buckle and stitching, but saved my ankle from worse injury.

I feel for you, man.  Sounds like you took a bit of a beating, even though nothing's broken.

Makes me glad to have a pair.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, larolco said:

try to keep moving around

This is key!!  ...and anti-inflams like Ibuprofen.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I don't have a T9, I'm one of those weirdos that have a Niken. But if I was in your situation I would be considering either the Ninja 1000 or GSX-S1000. Like @TomTracer I seem to be getting shorter with age. I used to have a Z900 and that has a sweeet engine and very good weight distribution, but unfortunately misses out on some tour-friendly features. Ninja is the next best thing. Shame about insurance premiums for these models.

I grew up with VFR800s and Triumph Sprints as tourers, so prefer that to the modern adventure-style tourers these days. Have also done the BMW thing and concur with what @bwringer said - really good bikes, until you have to start wrenching on it or deal with the 'shop. If I was forced to pick a Euro brand I'd choose Triumph, if only for the fact that after-sales seems less of a hassle where I am than the other continentals. (Deep down, a Hinckley Triumph is really a Kawasaki wearing a bowler hat.)

Ride365 is on point. It seems that you'll need only plastics and minor stuff because the frame looks good, engine looks good... I'd repair it and probably keep it though I'm biased as I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my T9GT+:)
Worse case scenario trade it for something else, after repaired.
The new Kwacks look good (to me) and comfy which is probably the only 4 cylinder I'd buy at this point.

Don't know what the situation is in BC, but in Ontario if a bike is written off, it can no longer be registered in Ontario in any way.  There are no more "salvage" or "repair" titles for motorcycles here.  You cannot buy the bike back and fix it and ride.

The only way is to avoid an insurance claim in the first place and just drag it home and fix it..... one should also consider what it will cost you over the next 5 years if you make an insurance claim, in increased premiums.