If you could trade the Tracer for another bike

larolco

On 10/21/2023 at 12:18 PM, Heavy said:

I have a few pairs of boots but the A-Stars Belize look to be a good step up.

Gaerne mid-cut dirt ... nice rigid soles so great for standing on the pegs but not comfortable.

A-Stars Ridge ... comfy and easy to walk around in but not a lot of protection

A-Stars SMX ... higher cut and better protection but getting old and certainly not waterproof

The Belize is the same as the Corozal, just shorter. I also have a pair of supposedly waterproof Gaerne's, but I can't keep the water out of them. They are definitely a sturdier sole but not as much ankle protection as the Alpinestars IMO. 

• Thumbsup 1

I have thick (fat?) calves and I don't know if I could get the upper of the Corozal secured. The Belize offers all the foot/ankle protection. 

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

On 10/18/2023 at 11:40 PM, larolco said:

Let's say some jackass decided to change lanes into you and send you ass over teakettle and essentially destroy your Tracer beyond reasonable hope of repair. What would you replace your bike with? 

I've done two years on the Tracer and it's a great bike for what it is, but I'm ready for something else. 

I'm thinking Suzuki: https://www.suzuki.ca/product/2023-gsx-s1000gt/

I have a DRZ for dirt fun and am looking for a street-oriented touring bike that carries a passenger and luggage well  (unlike the Tracer). The GSX seems to tick the boxes. Or maybe a used BMW S1000XR?  I lust for that bike. What else?

My Tracer is F-ed, Likely a write-off. Not happy but ready to move on. 

Ok new answer…this bike😄!

IMG_1370.thumb.jpeg.a44acee12843c15097e48bd25a52e524.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would like to get a 1000cc love the GSX-S 1000 GT and the Ninja 1000 SX, but for me the perfect bike is the S 1000 XR, altough in my opinion it's too much bike for me.

I want to keep the Tracer many years but sometimes I think she feels alone, maybe she needs a little sister, a Z 900 SE for example...

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, Smokamoto said:

That bike better come to the US because I yesterday I put down a deposit with the hope it comes here. Dealer said it’s not confirmed but Yamaha US is slated to announce three new models in November, and this one is at the top of the list. Not the R9 I was pining for but close enough.  

Edited by miweber929
  • Thumbsup 2

10 hours ago, Smokamoto said:

Not the bike for my replacement purposes, but I sure would like one! I hear it's only slated for Europe at the moment. 

• Thumbsup 1

Back to BMW for me. Maybe an S1000XR, most likely another GSA. 1250 I think. The boost in mid  range over the 1200 was noticeable. The thing putting me off the XR is the same thing that nearly stopped me buying the Tracer. Bloody chains. I phucking hate chains.

59 minutes ago, Mrtwisty said:

Back to BMW for me. Maybe an S1000XR, most likely another GSA. 1250 I think. The boost in mid  range over the 1200 was noticeable. The thing putting me off the XR is the same thing that nearly stopped me buying the Tracer. Bloody chains. I phucking hate chains.

Chain’s never worried me, but giving up single sided swingarms was a hard decision. 

13 hours ago, Mrtwisty said:

With the M Endurance chain all the usual chain problems are gone. I have a friend that is putting pretty serious mileage on his S1K and he says it’s legit… no lube, no adjustment… just ride it.

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/bmw-m-endurance-chain#:~:text=With the M Endurance chain,%2C enclosed by X-rings.

1 minute ago, The Pilot said:

With the M Endurance chain all the usual chain problems are gone. I have a friend that is putting pretty serious mileage on his S1K and he says it’s legit… no lube, no adjustment… just ride it.

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/bmw-m-endurance-chain#:~:text=With the M Endurance chain,%2C enclosed by X-rings.

So, all we have learmed anout chain quality, o-ring, adjustment, etc has been for naught? Nah.

I've been running a Tutoro oiler on mine. The OEM chain has about 40 000 kms on it. Still going fine. I'm not stingy with the oil because I ride in the rain a lot. I'd have no problem going with another chain bike.

On 10/23/2023 at 12:55 AM, someguy said:

If I was forced to pick a Euro brand I'd choose Triumph, if only for the fact that after-sales seems less of a hassle where I am than the other continentals. (Deep down, a Hinckley Triumph is really a Kawasaki wearing a bowler hat.)

And because they make triples!!!

🙂

Edited by rlambke19

On 10/23/2023 at 4:19 PM, RomKnight said:

Ride365 is on point. It seems that you'll need only plastics and minor stuff because the frame looks good, engine looks good... I'd repair it and probably keep it though I'm biased as I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my T9GT+:)
Worse case scenario trade it for something else, after repaired.
The new Kwacks look good (to me) and comfy which is probably the only 4 cylinder I'd buy at this point.

Depending on where the impact occurred, you may never know if the frame is slightly twisted or tweaked...which wouldn't be visible to the naked eye. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 10/27/2023 at 7:13 PM, TomTracer said:

So, all we have learmed anout chain quality, o-ring, adjustment, etc has been for naught? Nah.

indeed, I'm pretty sure we've already had this discussion on this forum (or maybe the FZ09 forum). It's marketing BS is what it is, BMW even had to walk back their claims of a "no maintenance chain" to "low maintenance".

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/bmws-maintenance-free-m-endurance-chain-put-to-the-test

So you still have to adjust to keep slack in spec. Whether it's worth the 100%+ up-charge on a standard DID chain will be up to the rider, but if I'm down there doing the slack I may as well do the clean and lube too.

On 10/27/2023 at 7:10 PM, The Pilot said:

Do you know for a fact your friend checks his bike and keeps it to manual spec? Or just says it's legit because he doesn't know any better: "bike runs so everything is good" mentality.