If you could trade the Tracer for another bike

larolco

On 10/27/2023 at 7:37 AM, Mrtwisty said:

Preach. Single sided swingers are excellent. Make chains easier if you have to have one.

??? I've owned two SSA bikes (848 and a Multi) and didn't find anything about chain maintenance easier on them. 

• Thumbsup 2

Verdict is in: Bike is a "total loss". 

I can buy it back for salvage if I want but I'm not sure I want. 

Problem is I'm in no shape to be wrenching right now. Otherwise, I think it could be a viable option.

To get it ridable and inspection worthy, it needs left-side engine case cover and plug, left-side front end plastics, turn signal, all kinds of headlight assembly plastics, headlight assembly mounting bracket, windshield, handguards, right-side foot pegs, pannier mount, exhaust guard, plus inspection. And it still wouldn't be pretty and would have a salvage title. 

I started looking here at prices for various bits and pieces: https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/yam/5df7a41287a8661054377fc4/flasher-light

Those are USD prices and I'm in Canada, so for sure I'd be paying at least 1.5 times higher in Canadian dollars. It'll add up quick. Plus, I have no idea what the delivery time is on those parts. Just a lot of question marks that would be a gamble on a bike that wouldn't have much resale value.

I guess I could buy it back and part it out, but that is a major hassle as well and probably wouldn't turn much of a profit when all was said and done. 

If I wasn't screwed with whiplash I might have more interest in taking on a the project but I already have one headache on the go and don't need another. I'm leaning towards just taking the cash and going shopping.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Sad 1

Take the money and run. Look for a bike over the winter that you could possibly purchase for a lower price before the riding season starts.

Rebuilding a crashed bike or car can be a challenge and takes more time and money than anticipated.  Save yourself the grief.

My 2 cents.

• Thumbsup 2

I didn't notice this before, but the appraiser provided an incredibly detailed breakdown of parts estimated to be required to put it back the way it was pre-collision and the cost of those parts: over $14000 in parts alone! 

Now, if I were to be rebuilding the bike, I would not be replacing a lot of that stuff that was just cosmetically damaged. But still. Yikes. 

The headlight assembly alone runs $1300.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, larolco said:

I didn't notice this before, but the appraiser provided an incredibly detailed breakdown of parts estimated to be required to put it back the way it was pre-collision and the cost of those parts: over $14000 in parts alone! 

Now, if I were to be rebuilding the bike, I would not be replacing a lot of that stuff that was just cosmetically damaged. But still. Yikes. 

The headlight assembly alone runs $1300.  

I'll sell you mine and deliver it in the spring.  The bike has just under 22,000 kms on it now.  It would have another 4,500 by the time it got to you.  😏

ride.thumb.jpg.bca57bd5e2b19918a4421f492c702a66.jpg

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

7 hours ago, Heavy said:

I'll sell you mine and deliver it in the spring.  The bike has just under 22,000 kms on it now.  It would have another 4,500 by the time it got to you.  😏

ride.thumb.jpg.bca57bd5e2b19918a4421f492c702a66.jpg

That's a trek and a half. I've done it as far as Regina and back for an Iron Butt, but never ridden further east than that. One day, I'd like to ride all the way out to the Maritimes. 

Unfortunately, I'll be needing a bike long before springtime comes. Out here on the wet coast I commute year-round by bike. There's usually only a handful of winter days that aren't rideable. I'm hoping I'll be back in riding shape before too long. 

How's the TransAlp for power delivery? If I didn't already have a DRZ, I might be looking at the TransAlp, Tenere, V-Strom 800, etc. But I think I'm in the market for something more street/touring biased. 

6 hours ago, larolco said:

How's the TransAlp for power delivery? If I didn't already have a DRZ, I might be looking at the TransAlp, Tenere, V-Strom 800, etc. But I think I'm in the market for something more street/touring biased. 

Transalp is pretty sweet.  Check out reviews.  Very competent road bike, with some gravel/dirt capabilities.  I plan to use it to tour.  Very comfortable and better wind management than my Tracer.  I have family around the west ... Kelowna, Lethbridge, Vancouver and Victoria.  Plan to couch surf ... um ... visit, most of them next summer.

I got out for, what I think was, my last ride of the season.  Even with handguards, heated grips and lots of layers, I got home with a chill after more than an hour at 4ºC.

TANov423.thumb.jpg.df80983de62b8dac34af58a2c464a05d.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, ItsTracerTime said:

Either a new Tracer with cruise control and all of the tech, or an Africa Twin probably? I'd consider a Tuareg as well because they're designed to be worked on easily in the middle of nowhere

The new Tracer is going to be more than the budget will handle, but another 900GT is a possibility. There are a few kicking around in my market. The Tuareg and AT aren't really what I'm going for. Whatever I buy won't see anything rougher than gravel except through lack of planning. (One of the reasons I loved my old V-Strom was you could just head out and go wherever you wanted.) I've ridden an AT before but not the Tuareg. I liked the AT and, if I was a one-bike guy, it would be on the list, but I don't plan to sell the DRZ. I've got it set up to suit my needs and quite like it. It handles all my off-pavement riding nicely and I don't need anything for those purposes. 

I traded in my old beater Tacoma this summer on a new Tacoma. Probably I'll end up with another Tracer to replace the buggered Tracer. 

I did, however, come across this bike, which has me drooling:

2022 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce lusso Motorcycles - Motos Illimitées

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, larolco said:

The new Tracer is going to be more than the budget will handle, but another 900GT is a possibility. There are a few kicking around in my market. The Tuareg and AT aren't really what I'm going for. Whatever I buy won't see anything rougher than gravel except through lack of planning. (One of the reasons I loved my old V-Strom was you could just head out and go wherever you wanted.) I've ridden an AT before but not the Tuareg. I liked the AT and, if I was a one-bike guy, it would be on the list, but I don't plan to sell the DRZ. I've got it set up to suit my needs and quite like it. It handles all my off-pavement riding nicely and I don't need anything for those purposes. 

I traded in my old beater Tacoma this summer on a new Tacoma. Probably I'll end up with another Tracer to replace the buggered Tracer. 

I did, however, come across this bike, which has me drooling:

2022 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce lusso Motorcycles - Motos Illimitées

Oh yeah the MV triples are incredibly gorgeous. If there's a dealer around and you want the Italian bike life, I don't think you could go wrong

12 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

An interesting review. One of the reasons I went with a Tracer 900 originally was because I figured it would be a good commuter first, and a fun bike on weekends/trips second. It is certainly both those things. The only thing it lacks, in my opinion, is a more rigid chassis/suspension that would handle a passenger and luggage for weekend getaways. 

I haven't ridden the T9 but he ranks it higher than the MV as a daily rider. 

The MV isn't a serious contender for me (way too much dinero for my practical budget), but it sure does grab my attention. For the same reason, I don't think the T9 is in the cards either.

I think if I was going to move up to that class, the BMW S1000XR is where I would put my money. That bike is a hoot. There's a used one available near me right now but it's a high-miler. 

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, larolco said:

The MV isn't a serious contender for me (way too much dinero for my practical budget),

So, sparse dealer network isn't a factor?