If you could trade the Tracer for another bike

larolco

Let's say some jackass decided to change lanes into you and send you ass over teakettle and essentially destroy your Tracer beyond reasonable hope of repair. What would you replace your bike with? 

I've done two years on the Tracer and it's a great bike for what it is, but I'm ready for something else. 

I'm thinking Suzuki: https://www.suzuki.ca/product/2023-gsx-s1000gt/

I have a DRZ for dirt fun and am looking for a street-oriented touring bike that carries a passenger and luggage well  (unlike the Tracer). The GSX seems to tick the boxes. Or maybe a used BMW S1000XR?  I lust for that bike. What else?

My Tracer is F-ed, Likely a write-off. Not happy but ready to move on. 

Well... I did a couple years ago..

IMG_20201204_124526.thumb.jpg.1c3e967bf10e50732b54b9c1629b3c3b.jpg

To:

3609152.thumb.jpg.562eb7dec2500fdd6c80c4a12fdc735c.jpg

Love the RT.

But that being said, the changes applied to the 9 GT+ are very interesting.  I would NOT trade the RT, the  Tracer would be a 2nd bike and I actually wish I would have kept the 900 GT but the dealership gave me a stupid trade in price that I never thought I'd even get from a private sale so it just made sense.

I thought about the Suzuki but still too much of a sport bike riding position for me.

Edited by mellow
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, larolco said:

The GSX seems to tick the boxes.

The GSX certainly has good reviews and the cost of ownership, likely, kills the BM.

• Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

A brand-new Tracer would be top of the list for me -- lots of neat improvements for 2024 -- but if that's not an option, I'd agree the Suzuki GSX/GT would be way up there.

A friend of mine owns one, and I've sat on it, but I'm not entirely sure it has much more passenger room than the skimpy perch on the Tracer. You'll need to judge that. But it's an absolutely brilliant motorcycle, and just plain gorgeous.

However, one of the more pleasant surprises I've had was discovering Yamaha's reasonable parts pricing compared to the insanity of all the other brands, so I'd have a strong tendency to stick with Mama Yama. 

As noted, a Super Tenere would be near the top of the list as well. But it is BIG and TALL. And lightly used and farkled up examples are not hard to find.

The FJR1300 is a wonderful sporty tourer, with lots of room and ridiculous power, but it's also.. A Lot. It's BIG. Vast, even. But very light on its feet for such a large bike, and worth consideration if you're tipping more toward "tour".

BMW makes fantastic bikes, but the entire ownership experience can be, shall we say, highly variable. I know several people who have been pushed away from BMW ownership by maddening over-engineering, high TCO, and bizarre dealer behavior, yet dragged back in by the machines. They seem to be polarizing; some people won't ride anything else, and pile on ridiculous mileage. Others get turned off by one of the many aggravations of ownership and move on.

And finally, I have seen a lot of people in a similar situation end up on a Triumph. The "roadie" model (alloy wheels, no "dual-sport" aspirations) of the 900cc triple Tiger is a very different experience than the Tracer... very refined, although less power than the Tracer.

Were I in your shoes, I'd look more at the "roadie model" of the Tiger 1200GT. More power, fantastic power and handling.

If you're looking at used bikes, the "rally" versions in dual-sport drag are far more common, but personally I'd much prefer the model without the off-road pretensions and compromises.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 5

I’d get a 60th Anniversary R7 and do track days only, give up the crazy streets. I just really like the looks of the white/red gold wheels!

I already passed on the first one at my dealer, then another new one, then a perfect used one with 500 miles.
That’s what I’d do to the dismay of my wife, she’d rather I didn’t ride at all - such a fun buster😒!

ED0A5027-8F3E-4FBE-900F-C1C04A08E073.thumb.jpeg.096024adf6eb96e204cb14388ddcff53.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

This is a troubling question and I'm glad you're okay

The reason I've kept my 98 VTR, which I've mentioned many times, is it's beauty to me; and I'm not a form type of guy. It's just classic for a mid 90s but only made 98~05. Stone Simple, Shade Tree mechanic type but it still gets its done.

My year 1 FJ is on the cusp of being too complicated.

Bottom line it's a difficult decision but if I could find 1 with low miles and maybe farkled out 2018 triumph Tiger Sport

https://www.moto-data.net/triumph/tiger-sport-2018#:~:text=Triumph Tiger Sport is produced in 2018. Engine,479 lbs. Triumph Tiger Sport has 5 photos.

It's a bit heavy but has decent suspension single sided swing arm cruise control And possibly available in red but I'm not sure about the dealer network around here there is really only a couple. Reliability could also be an issue And there weren't that many imported

Ignore the below link I don't know how it got in there

I would probably go with the S1000XR, to me it’s the same mission statement as the Tracer just taken to “11”.

I have ridden an early first gen XR and the only thing that put me off was it was exceptionally buzzy in the bars. I have heard the newer ones fixed the issue.

That XR engine is a riot though, there have been many times (daily) on my Tracer I wished for another 40 horsepower or so… and this thing definitely does it.

lastly the XR quickshifter and blipper is just a riot… so many good sounds violently shooting out of that bike…

yup… when my Tracer dies someday the XR will be mine.

As I age I seem to get shorter.

The Tracer 900gt is too tall now. And wide. The saddlebags suck. I like the power, cruise, etc. My 1000 mi days are likely history as is camping which I loved dearly. Now my jaunts are more spontaneous and shorter duration than b4. I may look for decent mpg, reasonable power, accessorised. While I have the time, and tools doing beyond minimum maintenece dors not appeal. 65 yrs of riding and several 100m miles may be close to ending BUT! I AIN'T DEAD YET!!

Life long back issues make cruisers no option. Sportbike more upright is what I gotta have. Don't want a Scooter but.......

Edited by TomTracer
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

My year 1 FJ is on the cusp of being too complicated.

I'm with ya all the way on this!

That said - the 2024 Transalp is looking decent, and very reasonably priced.

Dork paid under $12k USD all-in.  Panniers and farkles extra.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

If it wasn't for price and reliability issues I would have gone with the BMW 1000XR but after getting the T9GT I'm glad I went with the 21 T9GT as I really don't miss the 30 to 50 more hp.  I no longer have that need for speed at my age and physical condition.

• Thumbsup 1

I’d be heading to my local Yamaha dealer to buy another Tracer 9 GT if mine was lost. After having a large number of bikes over the years, I don’t think I’ve enjoyed any of them more than the ‘22 model owned for the last 11 months. I’ve owned a ‘16 Suzuki GSXS F 1000; after electrical problems with it and a previous V strom 1000, I’ve given up on the brand. The Kawasaki Versys 1000 or Ninja 1000 would be close seconds to the Tracer. It’s interesting that some desire more power than these three bikes deliver. It just seems that maybe manufacturers have just gone a little crazy with chasing more and more HP. There is only so much that you can use on public roads. 170 HP  BMW 1000 XR’s, Ducati V4 Multistradas, Kawasaki H2’s etc are amazing bikes, but do they really give much more than bragging rights? If that is what someone wants, more power to them; I’m glad these bikes exist, but they are more than I need, and I do enjoy power and acceleration. The Tracer fits my needs well. After 55 years of riding motorcycles, I think that we are truly in the Golden Age of motorcycling.

Edited by kingfisher
  • Thumbsup 4

On 10/19/2023 at 1:40 AM, larolco said:

Let's say some jackass decided to change lanes into you and send you ass over teakettle and essentially destroy your Tracer beyond reasonable hope of repair. What would you replace your bike with? 

I've done two years on the Tracer and it's a great bike for what it is, but I'm ready for something else. 

I'm thinking Suzuki: https://www.suzuki.ca/product/2023-gsx-s1000gt/

I have a DRZ for dirt fun and am looking for a street-oriented touring bike that carries a passenger and luggage well  (unlike the Tracer). The GSX seems to tick the boxes. Or maybe a used BMW S1000XR?  I lust for that bike. What else?

My Tracer is F-ed, Likely a write-off. Not happy but ready to move on. 

Sorry to hear about the wreck, glad you walked away.

The GSX (and also the Ninja 1000) was high on the list to replace my trusty ‘11 Triumph Sprint GT as my two up bike until my wife and I walked around a few dealerships and she saw and sat in the rear seats of both. Spoiler alert: they both sucked and she was extremely uncomfortable on both. It’s how I ended up with the Tracer. Be sure to have the SO try it out. 

Edited by miweber929
  • Thumbsup 1

One consideration in bike choice has to do with the nature of insurance where I live. Insuring a bike costs more as engine displacement increases. It's a stupid model that makes insuring a 900cc bike significantly cheaper than a 1200 cc bike. So, I don't think I'd go with anything more than an 1150, which is where the bump up occurs.

First, I have to see if the bike will be repaired or not. My guess is no, but it's not up to me. It's got damage on both sides, front and rear.  

Left Side.jpg

Right Side 1.jpg

• Sad 2