If you could trade the Tracer for another bike

larolco

On 11/4/2023 at 4:04 AM, larolco said:

Problem is I'm in no shape to be wrenching right now. Otherwise, I think it could be a viable option

No, No and no.

The only reason to wrench a write-off is a love of wrenching and a total disregard for the hours you put in to bring that tracer back to life.

If you vaguely feel that wrenching a write-off might save you a coupla bucks then you will hate every minute of it, resent every purchase of parts and will likely be unsatisfied with the end result or the sale price.

There are only two good reasons to wrench on a write-off. You are a professional wrencher who knows exactly what they are getting into or... you are wrenching for the love of it.

If you don't fit into either of those categories then take the insurance money and buy another Tracer. Life is too short to do otherwise.

• Thumbsup 3

Here are my 2 cents : if your bike is salvaged and don't think about spending countless hours putting it back together, just walk out with the money and get a new bike! I think you got that already, but, just to reiterate!

Now, new bike, I would say think about what you'd like your dream bike to be and get it!

In another post I mentioned the Kawaski H2 SX/SE-whatever they put after H2 that is the sport/touring version (if you want to get crazy insane perf with some comfort).

If you'd like to keep in the same style Tiger900 is nice and smooth (did a test one the 800 before buying the FJ09), S1000XR would be a nice upgrade (engine speaking), the MV looks awesome, but if you don't have a dealership close to where you live or work, I wouldn't think about it! Have you considered the Multistrada V2? or perhaps a KTM 890 Adventure?

2 minutes ago, Xstoff said:

Here are my 2 cents : if your bike is salvaged and don't think about spending countless hours putting it back together, just walk out with the money and get a new bike! I think you got that already, but, just to reiterate!

Now, new bike, I would say think about what you'd like your dream bike to be and get it!

In another post I mentioned the Kawaski H2 SX/SE-whatever they put after H2 that is the sport/touring version (if you want to get crazy insane perf with some comfort).

If you'd like to keep in the same style Tiger900 is nice and smooth (did a test one the 800 before buying the FJ09), S1000XR would be a nice upgrade (engine speaking), the MV looks awesome, but if you don't have a dealership close to where you live or work, I wouldn't think about it! Have you considered the Multistrada V2? or perhaps a KTM 890 Adventure?

I've already decided to let the Tracer go. Just waiting to hear back from the insurance company to arrange the transfer of title. Now it's down to what replaces it. 

I plan to check out a few bikes tomorrow at a local dealership (which also happens to be an MV Agusta dealer...). I won't buy the MV ($), but I will sit on it for shits and giggles. 

I've not ridden the KTM 890, but do have regular access to a 790 Adventure. It doesn't thrill me much. 

We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm still a ways away from riding again, anyhow. 

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

No, No and no.

The only reason to wrench a write-off is a love of wrenching and a total disregard for the hours you put in to bring that tracer back to life.

If you vaguely feel that wrenching a write-off might save you a coupla bucks then you will hate every minute of it, resent every purchase of parts and will likely be unsatisfied with the end result or the sale price.

There are only two good reasons to wrench on a write-off. You are a professional wrencher who knows exactly what they are getting into or... you are wrenching for the love of it.

If you don't fit into either of those categories then take the insurance money and buy another Tracer. Life is too short to do otherwise.

I do enjoy wrenching. If I had all the time in the world, I wouldn't hesitate. At the least, it would make for an interesting track bike without much of an investment. But, that's not my situation at the moment, so not going that route. 

Another Tracer of the same vintage is a real possibility. 

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, MarchingOn said:

Today, it'd be a Triumph Tiger 1200 GT Explorer. A bit more power, a bit more ground clearance. Adaptive cruise would be a nice add for it. 

That is quite an impressive machine, and the only one IMHO that gives the mighty GS a legit run for the money. We have a massive dealer near me, and their Triumph selection is impressive. 

• Thumbsup 2

Well, after lusting over a whole bunch of bikes, the practical side of me won out and I put down a deposit on a very clean and lightly used 900GT. So, I guess I'll be hanging around this forum for a while yet. O0

Still waiting on insurance to seal the deal. This whole process has been slow as molasses. I really miss the old days when you could make a phone call and talk to a human bean. 

• Thumbsup 3

Went to the local Kawasaki demo day last week and rode a Ninja 1000SX and a ZX6R 636.  Ninja was great, lots of power and good sound.  Would probably go with the Tracer 9GT but the 1000 I4 is sweet.  Suzukis are nice but lack a center stand.  For me the Tracer 900GT I had was a good balance between screaming high RPM power of a ZX6R and the big power of a liter bike.  

EDIT:  Got my motorcycle permission temporarily reinstated for the demo but not to ride anything home 🙂

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Haha 1

I think my plan is to ride the new-to-me Tracer for a few years and then look at perhaps one of those Suzuki 4-bangers. That was the plan 2 years ago when I bought the now-dead Tracer as well. 

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Suzukis are nice but lack a center stand.  

That is true. I don't know that it would be a deal breaker for me, though.  

I don't think you can even put a center stand on that bike if you wanted to. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, larolco said:

That is true. I don't know that it would be a deal breaker for me, though.  

I don't think you can even put a center stand on that bike if you wanted to. 

Not on the GT but its available on the GX+

According to the Suzuki website, both the side bags and centerstand come standard on the new GX+  Heated grips are still an optional purchase.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, betoney said:

Not on the GT but its available on the GX+

According to the Suzuki website, both the side bags and centerstand come standard on the new GX+  Heated grips are still an optional purchase.

No CC and amazingly NO IMU, at least from what I could glom from Suzuki's own website.  So no corning ABS, TC and all the other things an IMU can help transform safety features! 

And for the same money as the latest T9+.

Crazy stupid 

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

No CC and amazingly NO IMU, at least from what I could glom from Suzuki's own website.  So no corning ABS, TC and all the other things an IMU can help transform safety features! 

And for the same money as the latest T9+.

Crazy stupid 

I don’t think that’s accurate. Specs show “Smart CC” and also discuss a Suzuki thing called SIRS and TLR control which definitely has to use an IMU to function. Here’s a link to their site, look under features:

https://suzukicycles.com/crossover/2024/gsx-s1000gx-plus

I’d take a Tracer 9 GT+ over this bit it’s full tech spec’ed out. 

Edited by miweber929
  • Thumbsup 1