• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Anyone fitted any alternative hand guards

Wessie
I got the humour and knew you would see it coming right back at you!
Johan
I do that journey from time to time when I go to Excel, but being a tightwad I thought I would make my own light set up! this is based on experience of my last bike which was an old sprint RS which I loved but had terrible lights (the commute down 7 mile lane was horrible) So what I actually want is various lights such as the hand guard indicators, indicators with DRL for visibility and then some decent cree lights that are low down for illuminating the road. I want these on a switch but also linked to the high beam so that if I flash the highs people know about it.

but on the subject of the handguards I have just bought some Acerbis Dual road black guards. I have then bought the LED kit. I was just going to buy the cheap £30 guards but I liked the fact that you can take the spoiler off the Acerbis. I was also going to buy an amber LED strip to insert but thought I would rather but the proper insert as its shaped and then put some lighting gel in front to make it amber.
Oncer I get around to fitting them (along with all the other bits that are sitting in the garage I will post some pics)

Wessie I got the humour and knew you would see it coming right back at you!
Johan
I do that journey from time to time when I go to Excel, but being a tightwad I thought I would make my own light set up! this is based on experience of my last bike which was an old sprint RS which I loved but had terrible lights (the commute down 7 mile lane was horrible) So what I actually want is various lights such as the hand guard indicators, indicators with DRL for visibility and then some decent cree lights that are low down for illuminating the road. I want these on a switch but also linked to the high beam so that if I flash the highs people know about it.

but on the subject of the handguards I have just bought some Acerbis Dual road black guards. I have then bought the LED kit. I was just going to buy the cheap £30 guards but I liked the fact that you can take the spoiler off the Acerbis. I was also going to buy an amber LED strip to insert but thought I would rather but the proper insert as its shaped and then put some lighting gel in front to make it amber.
Oncer I get around to fitting them (along with all the other bits that are sitting in the garage I will post some pics)
This sounds quite intriguing.  Looking forward to the pics.  Currently, I'm seriously contemplating the KTM hand guards that doctore777 recommended.

Does anyone know if any of the DRLs have PWM like some bicycle lights ?
(Pulse Width Modulation)
Not that I think it's a good thing.
Skene Designs makes the best accessory lighting I've seen as fas as being noticed. The do have PWM (flicker) specifically designed to catch attention especially when moving across the field of view. Amber front lighting below: 
PB-ON.jpg

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Premium Member
Does anyone know if any of the DRLs have PWM like some bicycle lights ?
(Pulse Width Modulation)
no idea about other countries, but in the UK, the use of flashing lights on motor vehicles is tightly regulated - flashing headlamps, blues and rear reds for emergency vehicles only, flashing orange for warnings such as wide loads, breakdown trucks or road maintenance vehicles and flashing green for medical practitioners. Private vehicles should only have flashing orange lamps for indicators and hazard warning when stationary.  
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Does anyone know if any of the DRLs have PWM like some bicycle lights ? (Pulse Width Modulation)
no idea about other countries, but in the UK, the use of flashing lights on motor vehicles is tightly regulated - flashing headlamps, blues and rear reds for emergency vehicles only, flashing orange for warnings such as wide loads, breakdown trucks or road maintenance vehicles and flashing green for medical practitioners. Private vehicles should only have flashing orange lamps for indicators and hazard warning when stationary.  
They don't "flash" like a turn signal or emergency vehicle, or strobe light. The frequency is much higher. When viewed straight on, you can't se the flicker. When viewed from an angle you can notice something. Has to do with the way the rods and cones are wired into our brains. Some people can't see the flicker at all. 

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

They don't "flash" like a turn signal or emergency vehicle, or strobe light. The frequency is much higher. When viewed straight on, you can't se the flicker. When viewed from an angle you can notice something. Has to do with the way the rods and cones are wired into our brains. Some people can't see the flicker at all. 

Wessie is right. The law doesn't care how fast your lights flash (or flicker/pulsate/strobe etc.) just that they are not a constant/continuous output.

It's not rods and cones, they simply flash on and off faster than the human eye can register so you see a flickering as your brain fills in the between stages. It's noticeable from any angle, especially when you start getting reflections and such coming into play too.

That said you may get away with them but be aware that it is illegal and will quite possibly result in a trip to court if an eagle eyed traffic bod spots them.

Edit to add I can only speak with certainty regarding uk law but imagine most territories have something similar.

"about the
https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/madhead-hand-guards-with-indicators-univ-black/10019605"

i installed these madguards on my tracer and i like the overall look of the bike.
For the leds, i soldered the wires into the existing blinker wires left and right and used thermoplastic cable shoes to make the soldering waterproof. you have an extra set of front blinkers and also emergency blinkers work fine.

they are far more elegant imho, the length of the steer got reduced compared to the stock versions which i appreciate when filtering between lanes ico traffic jams.

you have some wind protection which is sufficient for me (my previous bike had none and i drove winter with it at temp >= 0 degrees celcius. --> so this will be an improvement for me anyway but not sure whether that would suffice for other riders.)

the guards attachments that attach around the steer did not fit in my case (to small diameter) so i had to do some extra work but i believe that you can order from 2 different support steer diameter sizes.

I'm working with the folks at Barkbusters (Rideworx Pty Ltd) to get an application developed for the FJ-09. Hopefully they will put something together for us that will better clear the touring windshields, as well as offer better wind protection and impact resistance.

So at last my Acerbis have arrived.They look nice and sturdy and seem well made.The LED inserts screw in and the actual LEDs can snap out allowing me to put some orange lighting gel between the LED and the inserts to turn them into indicators.There were a selection of bar weights so it all looked good. But why life is never simple!The tracer has inserts already inserted into the bars. so I took these off.  But then the actual inside of the bars are threaded and the insert wouldn't fit!So I ended up putting the original insert back in and then just using an allen bolt to tight the guards on. they seem sturdy enough but there is no fixing at the other end. If needs be I will use one of the original brackets to fix it at that end to make it rigid.
The guard is opaque grey plastic, but can be painted so I am thinking of getting some lava red spray paint and painting them to match the rest of the bike.The lights seem quite bright even though they were running off a 9v smoke alarm battery!!. The clearance by the screen is about 5-6 inches so when the bike is on the road I will interested to see what (if any) difference it makes to the wind noise. hopefully it will also allow me to make up a sportier wider screen.The bike also seems much narrower.
so far - without a road test I am very happy
pics below
http://i.imgur.com/Y1Sc7Uo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iZ4qQ2p.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cAIJt3k.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DzOnKvl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DM8STZ5.jpg