Anyone fitted any alternative hand guards

Beautiful, thanks, just what I needed to see! And on the fastest color FJ no less... 
BTW, I'm interested in your GPS mount (and what model it is, as I read the Garmin Zumo 590 will not follow routes downloaded into it). As I saw on YouTube a mount with a RAM ball on the top edge of a thin metal plate that sandwiches between the upper 2 screen bracket screws; is that what you have (if so who makes it and can you post photos of it)?

Thanks again.
It's a Zumo 550 (getting old... will probably upgrade next year), and I made the mount myself.  

GPS mount

• Premium Member
Boy your'e speedy.

This is what I saw on YouTube (
) a mount with a RAM ball on the top edge of a thin metal plate that sandwiches between the 4 screen bracket screws, by Cosmo Moto Accessrories' (new 3 mm thick plate version)  
Also, it sounds like the KTM handguards keep clear of the OEM screen.  I have the Givi screen which is not contacted by the OEM handguards, so can I presume (not assume) the KTM units will also clear it?

At the risk of over-clarification I'd just like to get clear whether the KTM guards can be fitted with the original bar end weight in the standard position, i.e. between the hand guard and the grip?  Looking at the various pictures in this thread it looks like that would cause the inner bar mount to get too close to the brake fluid reservoir?

CS

This is what I saw on YouTube (
) a mount with a RAM ball on the top edge of a thin metal plate that sandwiches between the 4 screen bracket screws, by Cosmo Moto Accessrories' (new 3 mm thick plate version)  

I have the Cosmo mount. Easy to fit but I had to use an adjustable Ram arm to allow my phone to clear the screen and the indicator lights.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
At the risk of over-clarification I'd just like to get clear whether the KTM guards can be fitted with the original bar end weight in the standard position, i.e. between the hand guard and the grip?  Looking at the various pictures in this thread it looks like that would cause the inner bar mount to get too close to the brake fluid reservoir? 

CS
I think you are correct, putting the bar end weight between the guard and the bar would result in interference with the brake reservoir. The inner bar mount on mine is about 1/2 inch from the front of the reservoir. You might consider Vibranators if you are looking for bar ends with vibration control. Don't have them on mine, but others on the forum like them. 

Looks to be much narrower. So the upper fairing/tank will probably take more damage when you fall, when the handlebars move to full lock.
I have the KTM handguards and the benefit of the reduced width when filtering on my urban commute far outweighs the miniscule risk from dropping the bike. 
People should have more confidence and worry less. If you worry about dropping the bike then your anxiety will increase the probability of this happening. Of course, makers of crash bobbins, engine guards etc are happy to prey on the worried well. 
It was merely an observation that some people might like to know wessie.

• Premium Member

CS
I have the KTM handguards and did use the original FJ bar ends. No muss no fuss. The KTM handguards do come with their own bar ends but I found it much simpler to use the FJ bar ends. The inner bar mount attaches near the bend in the handlebar about a half inch or so away from the reservoir. I have not experienced any issues and, for me, the KTMs also provide increased wind protection for my hands. I also have the Madstad 22" windshield and have experienced no issues with the KTMs interfering with it.

• Premium Member

CS
I have the KTM handguards and did use the original FJ bar ends. No muss no fuss. The KTM handguards do come with their own bar ends but I found it much simpler to use the FJ bar ends. The inner bar mount attaches near the bend in the handlebar about a half inch or so away from the reservoir. I have not experienced any issues and, for me, the KTMs also provide increased wind protection for my hands. I also have the Madstad 22" windshield and have experienced no issues with the KTMs interfering with it.

ditto re fitting the KTM handguards - used OE bar ends.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

[div style=text-align:justify]Installed the KTM hand guards and think that they look a lot better than the standard guards.
Wind protection is better and now with the bars being narrower i can get the bike through the gate.  :)
I have noticed a little more vibration on the bars. will turn some new heavier bar ends on the lathe this weekend to see if the vibration can be reduced.

• 3 weeks later...
I found these to work better, and look better than the stock guards, They also allow the use of a much better, wider windscreens, In my case the Madstad. It is also very easy to scuff them up and paint with several coats of rattle can mat black paint to match my matt black bike.

• 1 month later...
I am considering putting aftermarket handguards on my fj09 this winter for better rain/cold protection.

Seems like the KTM adventure ones are popular. Also I see the Barkbuster storm.

Anyone compared these?

Also I want to try to include some sort of bar weights to reduce vibration. Looks like Barkbuster has an external weight that fits some of their mounts.

The ktm handguards run around 75 and the BB are like 200 with the external weight.

I have never added hand guards to a bike before so I am totally unfamiliar with the issues. txs for any advice, Bill,

• Premium Member
I am considering putting aftermarket handguards on my fj09 this winter for better rain/cold protection. 
Seems like the KTM adventure ones are popular. Also I see the Barkbuster storm.

Anyone compared these?

Also I want to try to include some sort of bar weights to reduce vibration. Looks like Barkbuster has an external weight that fits some of their mounts.

The ktm handguards run around 75 and the BB are like 200 with the external weight.

I have never added hand guards to a bike before so I am totally unfamiliar with the issues. txs for any advice, Bill,

I changed the bars out for Renthal Street Naked Fatbars, and added Vibranators in front of the KTM Adventures. No more vibration, and excellent wind/weather protection. Hand guards are light years better than the stock pieces. Did all of this the night before a 2000 mile trip and fortunately it all worked great. 

I fitted these last weekend http://www.barkbusters.net/products/spare-parts-other-products/4922-LED-002 & http://www.barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/yamaha/mt09-tracer-2014-on/storm/two-point-mount offered great protection in the rain leaving Silverstone Moto GP this weekend ;)
Did they mount cleanly with no cable or reservoir issues? 
Do I interpret correctly from the instructions that on the fj09 you don't use the kit's bar end weight?

Any other thoughts?  It is a configuration I am seriously considering.  txs