Anyone fitted any alternative hand guards

Guest highplainsrider
KTM Handguards for Adventure fit perfect, no mods needed. They are gloss black but some Krylon Flat black made them look OEM. Dramatic improvement over stock and allow for other windscreens 

I just installed the KTM handguards. Thanks to you and everyone else that found this solution and documented it on this site. They are so much better than the stock handguards and are priced well under other aftermarket alternatives. I can confirm that they clear the Puig touring windscreen in the high position. 
I really liked the included mounting hardware so I decided not to use my Vibranator inserts with the bar ends. I'll deal with the extra handlebar vibrations another way or get used to it. PM me if you are looking for Vibrators for the FJ.

I rode without the Vibranators and my right hand was numb in 20 minutes. The effect is way more noticeable removing them. I mixed and matched some hardware and made them work with my setup.

Guest highplainsrider
Thanks Piotrek. I ended up reinstalling the Vibranators. Not as a clean of a look, but my numb right hand doesn't care. Your solution is actually very similar to the Vibranators design. Essentially adding mass to the inside of the bar without touching the inner wall. I guess it is allowing the two masses to vibrate at different frequencies and cancelling some of the overall vibration. All I can say for sure is that it works for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
No. You have to remove the OEM hand guards. I posted some pictures here.
Yea I saw the photos and figured the stickers SHOULD come off. The 2015 FJ-09 I bought had the lights IN the stock hand guards. adf2ba373590ee750ed21ae5f93b718c.jpg 
I just wanted something like this to put on for the cold weather. I'm developing Raynaud syndrome and looking for that much more warmth. I didn't want to to this: 7d2b5964c555fb0500cd227bc2787152.jpg
Or to Hippo Hands. ??

Ok so the lighted inserts that came on my 2015 FJ-09... well one got destroyed. I have no idea where they were purchased from. I need to know the cost if I were to replace them. Anyone know the vendor/source?

Thanks
Brick

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Yea I saw the photos and figured the stickers SHOULD come off. The 2015 FJ-09 I bought had the lights IN the stock hand guards. adf2ba373590ee750ed21ae5f93b718c.jpg 
I just wanted something like this to put on for the cold weather. I'm developing Raynaud syndrome and looking for that much more warmth. I didn't want to to this: 7d2b5964c555fb0500cd227bc2787152.jpg
Or to Hippo Hands. ??
Ok so the lighted inserts that came on my 2015 FJ-09... well one got destroyed. I have no idea where they were purchased from. I need to know the cost if I were to replace them. Anyone know the vendor/source? 
Thanks
Brick
Vendor of those excellent LEDs ('knuckle-guard LEDs') is D-ZELL, Korea.   

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

As Wordsmith said - Dzell, here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172204027933
Yeah, they are excellent, but with piratical postage to Australia they are pretty expensive at AUD$152.   But I do like them!   Being high up and wide apart gives the best possible visibility, IMHO, and they are also very easy to install and wire-in.   How many sleeps until Santa comes?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...
oops just got your message sorry for the late reply, I didn't have any problems fitting the hand guards, can you clarify the link to the oil filter?? O_o  (I guess you're all sorted now tho')  Sorry, this post is aimed at 'chillpons'

As Wordsmith said - Dzell, here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172204027933
This is perfect, exactly what I've been looking for. As soon as I bought my fj I thought having turn signals in the handguards would be awesome.

Edit: Also seems there is an orange version available. I'm assuming it wouldn't be difficult to have these function solely as turn signals yes? More or less what I was looking for. In a perfect world having the white running lights and an orange flash on activation of turn signal would be sweet.

Edit 2: Ended up just going with the white ones with the turn signal module. Idk what I was thinking with the orange, can't pass up the clean white running lights.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• 4 weeks later...
I have today fitted KTM hand guards.  The latest part no. is 6030217910030 and they fit straight onto the Tracer.  I removed the OEM guards and brackets and fitted the KTM guards using the bolt and washer that came with them.  I retained the OEM black thread adapter that sits inside the handlebars.

The latest version of the KTM guards really match the Tracer well.  They are 2-tone in colour with a sort of glossier black centre section and a more matt black outer.  I paid £48 plus £10 delivery to Sweden from HTM Offroad in the UK.

Now all that remains is a test ride to see if they affect wind flow and whether there is any noticeable increase in bar vibes.

I've added some images below.

The first hopefully shows the different black tones on the hand guards.  The outer bit which includes where it bolts onto the end of the grip is matt black, as is the inner portion that connects to the handlebars.  The middle part is gloss black and the plastic here is also more flexible.  The matt black matches very nicely with the black tank shroud and other black plastics on the Tracer.

IMG_0754.jpg

The next image shows how it is attached to the bar end.  As I said I kept the black thread adapter that is fitted in the end of the bars and used the washer and bolt that came with the KTM guards.

IMG_0757.jpg

Next a picture of how the guards fit to the bars by the headstock.  The left hand fitting sits just under the metal trunking for the clutch cable.  I put a bit of electrical tape around the trunking to prevent it rubbing on the hand guard fitting bolt.

IMG_0760.jpg

Finally a shot looking at the bike head-on.  I think the guards suit the Tracer really well, they are quite angular and that suits the design features on the bike.

IMG_0756.jpg

CS

I have today fitted KTM hand guards.  The latest part no. is 6030217910030 and they fit straight onto the Tracer.  I removed the OEM guards and brackets and fitted the KTM guards using the bolt and washer that came with them.  I retained the OEM black thread adapter that sits inside the handlebars. 
The latest version of the KTM guards really match the Tracer well.  They are 2-tone in colour with a sort of glossier black centre section and a more matt black outer.  I paid £48 plus £10 delivery to Sweden from HTM Offroad in the UK.

Now all that remains is a test ride to see if they affect wind flow and whether there is any noticeable increase in bar vibes.

CS
My last BMW R1200 R LC Roadster came without handguards, and while I don't really need them in this benign climate I kind-of missed them, for my previous GS had 'guards.   So I bought a pair of cheap (AUD$14) universal trail-bike 'guards from E Bay, tweaked them just a bit to fit, sprayed 'em matte black - et violin, almost OE. 
Pix show the complete $14 kit as delivered, and the finished job on the Roadster.P1030466.jpgP1030480.jpg

CS

Have you a pic of the new guards?