Anyone fitted any alternative hand guards

I bought the new hippo hands model, back country and tried it. It is similar to the blizzard hand guards. Didn't workout for me on the stock handguards. After stretching it over the guards, there is very that is able to cover the grips and the opening was a tad small for me with gloves on. So I am returning it. Saw somebody post pics of the blizzard guards on our bike, so ordered those and now waiting. 

• Premium Member
Do the blizzards fit over the stock hand guards?
No. You have to remove the OEM hand guards. I posted some pictures here.

Yea I saw the photos and figured the stickers SHOULD come off. The 2015 FJ-09 I bought had the lights IN the stock hand guards. adf2ba373590ee750ed21ae5f93b718c.jpg

I just wanted something like this to put on for the cold weather. I'm developing Raynaud syndrome and looking for that much more warmth. I didn't want to to this: 7d2b5964c555fb0500cd227bc2787152.jpg
Or to Hippo Hands. ??

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Tucano Urbano R319 bar muffs fit over the KTM handguards - this is my set-up for winter commuting

5000725.jpg  

5000724.jpg

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
KTM also with R&G bar ends (which are not heavy enough IMO) and bars filled with BBs. Very acceptable damping vibration now and the OEM heated grips keep me toasty down to 40F at 70 mph in my next to warmest Cortech Hydro GT gloves (the warmest are Warm N' Safe electric not needed on FJ-09).

• Premium Member
So I've installed the KTM guards.

(See pics.)

It took me a bit of wrangling to slide the zip-ties on the cable bundles as far inboard as possible, so that I could get the inboard ends of the guards clamped around the bars, outside of the zip-ties.

Questions:

Q1. Does it seem like a bad idea to have the wrapped bundles of wires/cables resting against the screws/nuts of the clamps? Will vibration, time, etc. eventually wear through the wrapping? Should I add extra wrapping, or cover up the screws with electrical tape so that they aren't sharp, or something like that?

Q2. Any preference for having the screwhead face the rider vs having the screwhead facing away from the driver? What are the pros and cons? Or does it not really matter?

Q3. @rodan, I see from your picture that you slid the zipties inboard of the clamps, whereas @wessie I see that you slid the zipties outboard. Was this arbitrary, or is there some reason I might prefer one or the other?

(Or maybe I'm overthinking this?)

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

Thanks
Alej

I think you're over thinking it a bit... ;)

I wouldn't want the harness rubbing against exposed threads on the bolts, but other than that just arrange it however it goes together the easiest, and still provides easy access to the bolts, and nothing is stretched when turning the bars lock to lock. I don't recall any issues that required a particular orientation for anything, but I've slept since I put them on... LOL

• 4 months later...
I fitted these last weekend http://www.barkbusters.net/products/spare-parts-other-products/4922-LED-002 & http://www.barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/yamaha/mt09-tracer-2014-on/storm/two-point-mount offered great protection in the rain leaving Silverstone Moto GP this weekend ;)
I left you a message regarding installation. I don't see any room on the right side below the oil filter to install the aluminium clamp. Any help to install these 2 point mount hand guards is greatly  appreciated. I bought the one made for FJ 09 from revzilla the same one in your link.

I will be installing the Givi hand guards today along with the windshield.  Ordered them from Italy as I could not find the windscreen in the USA.  Here is a shot of the screen and hand guards.  The guards replace the airfoil like protrusion and just bolt on.

https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessories/motorcycle-parts/givi-plexiglass-extension-eh-2122-smoked-for-original-hand-protectors.html

It took all of 15 minutes to install the new windscreen and hand guards.  Are the windscreen screws made of plastic or Al?  I managed to only mangle them a little bit, but come on, use real fasteners.

It took all of 15 minutes to install the new windscreen and hand guards.  Are the windscreen screws made of plastic or Al?  I managed to only mangle them a little bit, but come on, use real fasteners.
Plastic or aluminum screws are on purpose; just in case you decide to exit the seat at a high velocity directly over the gauge cluster, the windscreen will sheer off easily...
Keep Asheville weird!