Anyone fitted any alternative hand guards

I might just try the BB pellet method, i know its a bit of a moot point but i assume the heavier the better and i have found them at 0.25g, is it just a case of filling up the inside of the bars with them, im kinda worried they will just rattle around in there, can anyone who has done this advise? Thanks

I might just try the BB pellet method, i know its a bit of a moot point but i assume the heavier the better and i have found them at 0.25g, is it just a case of filling up the inside of the bars with them, im kinda worried they will just rattle around in there, can anyone who has done this advise? Thanks

You fill the bar with a funnel. The damn things like to escape. Add a little at a time and then tap with a rubber mallet or some such device for them to settle and fill from both ends. Then go for a ride.. Come back add some more till its full. In my case it hasn't eliminated the tingles completely but it has substantially reduced them. The brake lever still vibrates but I'm considering going back to after market levers as it was a lot less with the Mad Hornets Levers

• 2 weeks later...
FYI, I just ordered a set of the KTM handguards. I went to order them from the KTMTwins site referenced earlier in the thread, and they still list them for $59.99. However, they wanted $35.00 to ship from CA to AZ!  ???

I ended up finding a set on Amazon for $74.99 with free shipping.

I understand all of your frustrations with the stock wide hand guards. But have you thought about when you drop it? From what i've seen, the excessive wide guards make sure your tank doesnt get damaged. Will the narrower hand guards also make sure of this? Most frame protectors are too narrow for the tank as well.

Installed my KTM handguards and factory heated grips today.

Here's a shot showing the width difference from stock to KTM...

DSC_2135_zpsilcs0j74.jpg

I also took the opportunity while everything was apart to fill the bars with 1.5 lbs of BBs... hopefully that will smooth things out a little.

FYI, that worked out to a little less than 1/2 of one of these:

DSC_2138_zpsi7ddwgon.jpg

I bought two, so apparently my volume estimator needs some recalibration.... ;)

• Premium Member

HI.

I have been reading this topic with interest, and did a little surfing of my own, found these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-950-Super-Enduro-R-Black-Polisport-Hand-Protectors-Hand-Guards-Pair-/331441252066

Brought the "Sharp" option fitted today look and fit great £22 inc postage..bargain.

Can't tell how they mount.  Pics please and/or descriptions.

• Premium Member
Your photos are very good and you said it's a plug and play but a photo looking down at the bars (from above) would show how and where the inboard KTM handlebar clamps connect and are located in relation to the OEM components on and adjacent the KTM guards.  I am planning to pick up a set this Saturday and want to be sure the KTM hand guards will fit with what I already have and plan to have on the bars and in the cockpit (i.e., RD, GPS, Cell, mirror extenders, baby Iguana).

So some quick pics would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member
Looks to be much narrower. So the upper fairing/tank will probably take more damage when you fall, when the handlebars move to full lock.
I have the KTM handguards and the benefit of the reduced width when filtering on my urban commute far outweighs the miniscule risk from dropping the bike. 
People should have more confidence and worry less. If you worry about dropping the bike then your anxiety will increase the probability of this happening. Of course, makers of crash bobbins, engine guards etc are happy to prey on the worried well. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

FYI, the KTM guards are still wider than the factory Yamaha hard bags.

I made a couple of slight adjustments to mine over the last couple of rides, and the aerodynamics of the KTM guards are far better than the stockers.

• Premium Member
Beautiful, thanks, just what I needed to see! And on the fastest color FJ no less...

BTW, I'm interested in your GPS mount (and what model it is, as I read the Garmin Zumo 590 will not follow routes downloaded into it). As I saw on YouTube (
) a mount with a RAM ball on the top edge of a thin metal plate that sandwiches between the 4 screen bracket screws; is that what you have, if so who makes it (Cosmo Moto Accessrories' new 3 mm thick plate version) and can you post photos of it)? 
Thanks again.