Anyone fitted any alternative hand guards

Hello - interested in the KTM hand guards but, I can't figure out what type I need or where to get them? Looking for a current model number and/or link to a site. Been riding without the original guards for a while but, it's getting colder and wanted something to guard against the wind. Liked the idea I could use the original hardware to secure on both ends with the stock set up. I live in Nevada. Thanks for the help.

IMG_5107.jpg

• Premium Member
KTM part no. is on the first page of this thread in this post by @doctore777 http://fj-09.org/post/20440

part no. 6030217910030 - UK riders can get them from Fowlers http://www.fowlers.co.uk/offroad/handguards-closed-black-6169
sticking the part no. into google gets multiple options in USA e.g. http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemparts/p/ktm/6030217910030/handguard-closed-black

I think I have posted this 2 or 3 times in the thread!
  • Thumbsup 1
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. Not sure how you came up with that Ronnie's site but, that's all I was looking for..
Googled "KTM 6030217910030" - the UK website was first as I am in the UK and a choice of US ones were below. All on the first page. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure how you came up with that Ronnie's site but, that's all I was looking for..
Googled "KTM 6030217910030" - the UK website was first as I am in the UK and a choice of US ones were below. All on the first page. 
Once again I appreciate it.  None of that comes up if you search - "KTM part #6030217910030" only the KTM store and ebay.  Thanks again. 

Just make sure you know what you're going to get charged for shipping before ordering... I checked the vendor mentioned earlier in the thread that lists them for $59 and they wanted $35 for shipping! I ended up finding a set on Amazon...

The Gold Scotchbrite pads will have the same effect on gloss plastic as steel wool. (And they can be used for all sorts of stuff later too.) But the steel wool is fun with batteries.. :)

Use the gold pads to blend clear coat paint as you can buff out the scratches pretty quick, but not burn back the edge of the clear you just laid down into the blend area on the paint. (And yes, it's not a lifetime fix, but most folks own their cars for how many years?)

Sorry about the hyjack. :) But I totally agree not to paint the KTooM' knuckle busters, just take the gloss down/off and enjoy being able to do that any time you want again. (OR just leave them glossy.. and ride the faster red bikes...)

Speaking of that, anyone painted the front fender red yet? My FZ09 had a red fender, and I liked it. The tank was red, with a black stripe, but that would not work so well on the RED FJ09. But the red fender would be nice.

Might do something fun with the KTooM guards, fender, metallic red and masking tape. :)

• 1 month later...
Picking up from my last post on here...I replaced the KTM hand guard end caps with R&G bar ends (specific to these guards) in hope to reduce vibration... and they did the job. The bar ends are much heavier (they are not steel, just more alloy) and come with a longer (heavier) M8 bolt. I have a lot of foam on the grips, so much vibration is dissipated there, YMMV. These guards offer a lot of protection BTW. I recall from the past spring, the OEM guards offered next to none. This is then my setup for spring and autumn. Some pics... 

i had similar setup on my last bike (Versys 650) worked well, heavier weights outside the KTM guards, cold protection is decent in winter, keep the rain at bay for a while longer too, OEM guards are off my Tracer, KTM ones will go on soon....luckily (unlike yourself i presume) we can ride through most  of our winter unless its a bad one 

• 4 weeks later...
I fitted these last weekend http://www.barkbusters.net/products/spare-parts-other-products/4922-LED-002 & http://www.barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/yamaha/mt09-tracer-2014-on/storm/two-point-mount offered great protection in the rain leaving Silverstone Moto GP this weekend ;)
Can you comment on the performance of these in winter? I am considering the storm or the blizzard.  The storm seems to provide more options.

• Premium Member
One of the first things I did to my FJ was removing the hand guards. Too wide for splitting.

Now that it's "cold" in SF (dipping below 50) I'm thinking it might be nice to have something.

So I just ordered some KTM hand guards via Amazon. Amazon cost a few dollars more, but I din't have to get out my credit card. :-)

Will mount them and report back once I get them.

here's a second for the barkbuster blizzards. I hate riding with handguards in the summer. Dont know why, just dont like it. These are easy on, easy off, minimal restriction inside and keep your hands toasty especially with grip warmers.

Perfect for people like me who dont like handguards :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold