What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Could you post a picture of the factory helmet locks? Just went to the garage to look at my FJ and there is no helmet lock that I am able to see.
It's right here (pardon the commuting grime): IZxQJUu.jpg
USA models don't come with the keyed-lock, we only get the cheesy cable in the "tool" kit. Countless motorcycles for decades have come with one variation or another of the 'remove the seat, hang helmet, reinstall seat' method. 
Good idea on using the gun lock!
Keep Asheville weird!

that doesn't exist on my 2015 FJ-09, Although I wish it did.....
It's keyed to my ignition key. Factory equipment. Odd that they don't seem to be a part of the kit sold in the US. The Yamaha catalog has helmet locks for sale, but you're probably better off with the gun lock. 
Don't know why you're against taking off the seat to lock your helmet. I think it's a pretty good system and have used it often.

trcbAuu.jpg

Definitely not there on mine. That's unfortunate... I have a tail bag strapped on my FJ that sits on the rear seat. So the "remove the rear seat" helmet lock isn't a good option for me.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
On Saturday I rode out to a helpful and accommodating forum member to purchase and install a nice set of Yamaha side cases. The weather was beautiful and my brother and I spent a few hours lightening our bikes by draining them of fuel. That's my favorite thing to do to any bike!

Rodan, I'll be VERY interested in your report on the bead seat. My butt and the stock seat are not compatible, but my budget and the aftermarket seats are even less compatible!
In addition to the bead set (great idea!) you might also find my past post about the Cal Sci DIY seat mod interesting: 

caferacer Avatar

Jun 9, 2016 20:47:43 GMT -4 caferacer said:

Modified the stock rider and passenger seats with memory foam as per California Scientific's instruction guide found here:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Seats.html

First try left some visible edges under the seat cover, so I went back and smoothed the edges with scissors and added some duct tape to the seams:

http://i64.tinypic.com/b7i3wh.jpg

Looks stock, but the memory foam makes a great improvement, not by adding support, but by relieving some of the pressure!

Note: I'd recommend ordering the foam from Cal Sci, or another source you know, I initially ordered some from www. Foam Online. com, but they sent me extra soft tempur foam instead of extra firm.

Heated grips and OEM panniers installed today. Not much use for the heated grips yet, but the panniers have been great. Makes the bike much more practical and improves the look (makes the rear plate bracket sticking out so far actually make sense). Wish I'd done all this sooner.

Also the bike got a detailed wash and wax as well as cleaning and lubricating the chain. 1200 miles now! With the way I have been putting miles on I feel like the chain cleaning and lubrication is going to become annoying...

Removed the orange turn signals, installed motodynamic LED front flush turn signals and tail light with built in turn signals.
"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

The other day I raised the fork tubes 5mm in the triples (lowering the front). Did a great job of taming some of the 'flightiness' without reducing the quick steering nature of the bike. I'm hoping this will contribute to better stability at highway speeds, especially when loaded. Worked great with my VStrom many years ago...

The other day I raised the fork tubes 5mm in the triples (lowering the front). Did a great job of taming some of the 'flightiness' without reducing the quick steering nature of the bike. I'm hoping this will contribute to better stability at highway speeds, especially when loaded. Worked great with my VStrom many years ago...
Yep, 4-6mm seems to be the magic range on the FJ; could probably go up to 8mm without creating oversteer.....IF you adjust your rear shock preload for luggage/passenger or added weight in the rear. Otherwise you get too much rear sag & you're right back where you were before raising the forks. :-) 

Good idea. I may give that a try eventually