What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

Risers.jpg

While waiting on the forks to get back, I painted the stock risers and Rox anti-vibe risers to match the frame/engine covers and finished installing the Rizoma bars. I went with the gold bars because I didn't like the forks being the only gold on the bike. And I decided I like the way the bike looks without the hand guards better, so I left them off.
Resized_20170128_101929.jpg

That is the part that I am confused about.  When I do this procedure, I don't remove or even loosen the axle, therefore it would be impossible to alter the wheel/ABS sensor alignment.  All I am doing is effectively extending or compressing each fork leg by a few millimeters. Now, if I remove the wheel for any reason, I always use the procedure that Bruce described.

But... (and it's a big but) loosening the axle, pinch bolt, etc has NO effect on fork alignment on a fork of this design. There, I said it. This whole 'bouncing thing' is from the days of 'conventional' forks with twin pinch bolts on each fork bottom, (such as an FJR or Honda ST1300) not upside-down forks with the type of axle that the FJ has. Look at the axle closely; it's a shouldered bolt with an integral nut that has no option of position -it's either tight or it's not. It's so idiot proof, even I can do it. You can leave it loose, bounce the front end, but as soon as you tighten the axle, the fork tubes are going to move (or not) to their 'installed' position -there's nothing you can do to change that. The single pinch bolt on the right leg is merely a safety-pin to keep the axle from turning out "just in case".
If it makes you feel better to bounce the front end with all the bolts and the axle loose, by all means, enjoy. But your efforts will be for naught as soon as you tighten the axle.

So then how do we align the forks/bars?

Mine are still a bit off despite my efforts to align them.

• Premium Member
But... (and it's a big but) loosening the axle, pinch bolt, etc has NO effect on fork alignment on a fork of this design. There, I said it. This whole 'bouncing thing' is from the days of 'conventional' forks with twin pinch bolts on each fork bottom, (such as an FJR or Honda ST1300) not upside-down forks with the type of axle that the FJ has. Look at the axle closely; it's a shouldered bolt with an integral nut that has no option of position -it's either tight or it's not. It's so idiot proof, even I can do it. You can leave it loose, bounce the front end, but as soon as you tighten the axle, the fork tubes are going to move (or not) to their 'installed' position -there's nothing you can do to change that. The single pinch bolt on the right leg is merely a safety-pin to keep the axle from turning out "just in case".
If it makes you feel better to bounce the front end with all the bolts and the axle loose, by all means, enjoy. But your efforts will be for naught as soon as you tighten the axle.
Have you dropped the bike, or could your bars be bent from something else? Also, are your risers straight? If they aren't, your bars won't be aligned with the forks. I was shocked when I replaced my bars to find that my right riser was so loose that I could turn it by hand.

Have you dropped the bike, or could your bars be bent from something else? Also, are your risers straight? If they aren't, your bars won't be aligned with the forks. I was shocked when I replaced my bars to find that my right riser was so loose that I could turn it by hand.

Haven't dropped it. They've been slightly crooked since I brought it home from the dealer with .3 miles on it.

Not sure about the risers as I haven't messed with them. I did follow some steps that were given to try to straighten them out which involved loosening the lower axle pinch bolt and the upper fork clamps followed by a couple of bounces. Still crooked.

• Premium Member
Bike is in shop...ECU is on its way to Washington...front end will be lowered 5mm in triple fork for less woolies, rear preload will be reduced accordingly...should feel kinda different by the time I get it back! 
Existing mods include Madstad 24" windscreen, KTM handguards, Shad 36L sides and 48L top, and T-Rex slider assortment.
I will be doing something similar in a little over 2 weeks! I hope you are happy with the results.
I'll report back for sure.

@jjm In what way are the tubes misaligned?

An easy test for axle/fork bottom alignment is to install the axle into the fork bottoms without the wheel. If it's a little off in length you can adjust one of the upper tubes in the triple clamp so the fork bottoms are the same 'height'. It makes us feel better, and installs go easier, but in reality, a small differential in length is no big deal as the longer of the two fork tubes just gets a hair more preload than the other.
As piotrek pointed out, the right side fork bottom can move left/right. The no-wheel axle install test should highlight any tendency for bind.
Keep Asheville weird!

@jjm In what way are the tubes misaligned? 
An easy test for axle/fork bottom alignment is to install the axle into the fork bottoms without the wheel. If it's a little off in length you can adjust one of the upper tubes in the triple clamp so the fork bottoms are the same 'height'. It makes us feel better, and installs go easier, but in reality, a small differential in length is no big deal as the longer of the two fork tubes just gets a hair more preload than the other.
As piotrek pointed out, the right side fork bottom can move left/right. The no-wheel axle install test should highlight any tendency for bind.

The handlebars are tilted to the left (the right side being farther from the tank than the right) while the bike is tracking straight.

PIAA now makes a light kit for the FJ 09! Just ordered these LEDs - will let you know how they work once installed. http://www.piaa.com/store/p/901-Yamaha-LP530-LED-Driving-Light-Kit.aspx
They look like a pretty good quality product.... they better be for $385!!!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
PIAA now makes a light kit for the FJ 09! Just ordered these LEDs - will let you know how they work once installed. http://www.piaa.com/store/p/901-Yamaha-LP530-LED-Driving-Light-Kit.aspx
They look like a pretty good quality product.... they better be for $385!!!
PIAA is top-notch kit. Good friend of mine rocking PIAAs on his SV. I expect rave reviews.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Changing my first rear tire. I got 3671 miles on that first Dunlap D222. The first 1755 miles were put on by the previous owner.
I got a free set of Dunlap tires by way of entering a contest on the podcast, "Talking Motorcycles with Barry Boone". I got Roadsmart II's.
The original front looks great. These tires may be a 2 rears tires to 1 front tire. I'll find out.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Changing my first rear tire. I got 3671 miles on that first Dunlap D222. The first 1755 miles were put on by the previous owner. I got a free set of Dunlap tires by way of entering a contest on the podcast, "Talking Motorcycles with Barry Boone". I got Roadsmart II's.
The original front looks great. These tires may be a 2 rears tires to 1 front tire. I'll find out.
Friends don't let friends ride on Dunlops!  :D
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Changing my first rear tire. I got 3671 miles on that first Dunlap D222. The first 1755 miles were put on by the previous owner. I got a free set of Dunlap tires by way of entering a contest on the podcast, "Talking Motorcycles with Barry Boone". I got Roadsmart II's.

Friends don't let friends ride on Dunlops!  :D

I don't see you giving me any free tires. After all fee is... well FREE!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650