What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Today, I changed the fuel in my gas tank. The old gas was a few weeks old, so I decided it was time for a change. First, I had to run the old gas out with a few hundred mile ride in the mountains near my home. On the return trip, I switched to A mode to stay in front of the pending rain clouds :)
Great thinking - cannot afford to waste that stale gas!
Great excuse for A Mode.  Thursday my excuse was "I took the GIVI luggage off, maybe I should check out the increase performance in A-mode.".

And yes, the luggage is removable with a key turn.  :P

Went to mc shop to get the ticking noise looked at and was told cct needs replacing, but got given worse news in that my Chain and sprocket needs to be replaced after only 10k, this is due to having it too tight (Yamaha spec) I lossened it at 7k but I was to late. So I hope everyone reading this makes sure to loosen up chain. I tested it in shop and at 30cm on stand it was super tight when I sat on it so they had to loosen even more. This was at a non Yamaha shop as local dealer told me the ticking noise was normal and due to temp which I didn't believe. Frustining day to be had. Rant over.

Took the ole bike out to watch the NHRA Northern Nationals at the local drag strip known as US 131 Dragway...It was great to see the Legendary Larry Dixon back behind wheel again... Track record was almost broken today by the same guy, Dom Lagana who set it in 2013 at 330.17mph in the 1/4mile...tonight he went 328ish and he even let off the gas early in qualifications run... 

My original plan was to go ride out to Detroit today and go see the drag racing @ Roadkill Nights- since a few friends are participating in the racing, he qualified #1 and took 3rd place!!.. apparently a record for the event was broken tonight, a mind boggling 5.7sec pass on a 1/8 mile strip public road- all cars in the event are street legal w/ tags and plate and must run DOT approved tires... 

The bike was happy to breathe in all the nitro fumes all day- now it's missing that extra oomph ? since I got home 

Also came to the conclusion the stock front sprocket rubber dount noise damping thingmajimmy causes more vibrations than a normal sprocket since I have a 1T smaller aftermarket sprocket on it...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
Cleaned her up, changed the oil, and lubed the chain, getting ready for a 500 mile ride with a friend tomorrow morning, and looking forward to the time in the saddle......

• Premium Member
I rode 1100 miles in 15.5 hours.
Let's see: Carry the one, and... a hair under 71 mph average. Would you care to elaborate? :)
And we all know the FJ-09 can't go 1100 miles without a gas stop, so figure 190 miles per tank, and 15 minutes for the stop and fill-up, that means 6 stops for gas for a total of 1.5 hours, so now you have 1100 miles / 14 hours (actual riding) = 78.6 mph. 
Impressive indeed........

And we all know the FJ-09 can't go 1100 miles without a gas stop, so figure 190 miles per tank, and 15 minutes for the stop and fill-up, that means 6 stops for gas for a total of 1.5 hours, so now you have 1100 miles / 14 hours (actual riding) = 78.6 mph. 
David, i find your maths impressive. i started to work it out but gave up, to complicated for me, i'm not that bright.

micah, if David's maths is correct, that is indeed impressive, do tell us the full story. 

• Premium Member
Mounted a new rear tire, then torture tested it.  Also, removed the center stand.
Took a "wrong turn" on a gravel road that I thought was about 1 to 2 miles and looked well maintained. 1 hour and 15 minutes later I came out the other end and I was impressed with the FJ-09. It turned to gravel, mud and rocks. At times, the growth from either side of the 'road' was brushing my handlebars. 20-30mph on hard pack dirt and light gravel was easily controlled and predictable. I found a sign that showed it was a seasonal pass that closes for the winter, so it should really have been work for dual sport.

What really impressed me was the level of grip the Metzler Roadtech 01 that I mounted to the rear. It was more grip than that Michelin Anakee 80/20 dual sport tires I had mounted on my old KLR650. It could be because it's brand new and was mounted Saturday, so the tread grooves are still quite deep. It was more confidence inspiring on the road than the stock rear tire in all conditions. Turn in felt especially nice, but it might be due to the old tire being squared off. I still have the stock Dunlop on the front.

• Premium Member
David, i find your maths impressive. i started to work it out but gave up, to complicated for me, i'm not that bright. 
micah, if David's maths is correct, that is indeed impressive, do tell us the full story. 

All interstate. Left a few hours before sunrise on Sunday morning and unbelievably no slowdowns for traffic or construction. SE TN to Sioux Falls SD. I got the saddlesore and the bun burner today. Went from Sioux Falls and now I'm in Billings. Im going to ride Lolo tomorrow and hopefully make it into Washington.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
All interstate. Left a few hours before sunrise on Sunday morning and unbelievably no slowdowns for traffic or construction. SE TN to Sioux Falls SD. I got the saddlesore and the bun burner today. Went from Sioux Falls and now I'm in Billings. Im going to ride Lolo tomorrow and hopefully make it into Washington.
Holy crap that's awesome.  Congratulations on the achievements =) 

• Premium Member
Truly awesome performance! I found my SS1600k to be a tough ride, and it taught me a thing or two about what I needed to fix on the bike for better long distance experience (I suddenly found McCruise to be good value, for example... and that highway pegs are a must for me). The FJ must fit you like a glove for you to be able to eat miles like that. Congrats!

I have the go cruise. Simple and works. I use my engine guards to rest my legs on at times. I also have my tail bag on the passenger seat and can use it for a back rest. I ate granola bars from my tank bag while moving. No meals. I drank water using my camel back. Don't get me wrong though. I've done almost 1900 in th last two days. I'm sucking hind tit right now. I might take it easy tomorrow. Don't have to be back home til the 26th.

Let’s go Brandon