What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Trial-pack: "Of what?" I thought.. "Did a trial-pack..."

Consuming some highly addictive substance no doubt.
:D

Que?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Trial-pack: "Of what?" I thought.. "Did a trial-pack..."

Consuming some highly addictive substance no doubt.
:D

Que?
Sorry, poor attempt at humour. I misread trial-pack as in "trial packet" of something like chocolate, or cheese, or something vaguely analogous to the lure of touring.

Que?
Sorry, poor attempt at humour. I misread trial-pack as in "trial packet" of something like chocolate, or cheese, or something vaguely analogous to the lure of touring.
This winter-time heat is getting to you, Robert!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

TRIAL-PACK...
Did a trial-pack in readiness for my upcoming trip north from August 10th.   Made some small revisions to the route, accommodations, and timing to give me an extra day in paradise.   Route now looks a touch over 5000km/ 3100mi.   Panniers and top-box with contents weighed-in at 21.3kg, and still plenty of room left, not that I'll be filling them 'just because'.  8-)
I obviously pack too much. How do you guys do it???   

The trick is this - lay out on your bed everything you plan to take.   Then discard half of it, and start again.   Less is more, much, much more!  (And my 21kg would be a lot less but for the fact that I'm carrying with me a foot-pump weighing about 2kg, given one of the primitive and extremely remote roads I'll be travelling, far from any call for help)! 

Best for August 2nd, kimmie - ooooh, only one more sleep!

• Premium Member
I obviously pack too much. How do you guys do it???   

The trick is this - lay out on your bed everything you plan to take.   Then discard half of it, and start again.   Less is more, much, much more!  (And my 21kg would be a lot less but for the fact that I'm carrying with me a foot-pump weighing about 2kg, given one of the primitive and extremely remote roads I'll be travelling, far from any call for help)! 

Best for August 2nd, kimmie - ooooh, only one more sleep!
Ride safe and have a blast WS! 

Broke the news to "Red" shes getting Cruise Control installed this weekend since its being delivered Thursday from MCCruise, in which "Red" rewarded me with a phenomenal stop-light launch against this silly 2017 Mustang driver ?...

on the other hand not gonna try my luck against a local daily driver sleeper Mustang, (7.90s in 1/4 mile on stock junkyard 115k mile LS motor ? and 26" rear tires)... gotta love e85 ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Super cleaned it. Put on R&G tank grips, and an EP radiator guard.
Noticed the slack in my chain was huge. I'm talking 3"+ of movement.
So I fixed that. Not hard at all. I think.
Left about a .5" of movement. Hopefully I was measuring correctly. I had the tap measure end against the bottom of the swing arm same place they showed in the service manual. Set it so the center of the chain only moved up a .5". Hopefully that's right.
Also of note, the dealer gorilla must have tightened down the axel nut. I actually saw the swing arm spread out after loosening it some. Hopefully no damage was done and the 108 ft lbs will work correctly.

Next up, oil change and Aux. socket if I can find it.

...I'm carrying with me a foot-pump weighing about 2kg...
Yikes! There are loads of tiny tyre compressors that hook onto your battery and weigh bugger all.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I know - there has been a lot of chat about this not too long ago when I put a query here about options 8-| .   But some are reputed to be useless, and/ or not available here in Oz, and/or very exxie.

And anyway I like my behemoth!

Raggedge, you might wanna ease the chain a little. The manual is wrong on this spec. At least one inch is the minimum slack. Too tight can cause problems. The manual is apparently correct on the axle torque though. It's somewhere about 100 ft/lbs! The swing arm should always spread on any bike when it's loosened.

I have read here that the Factory chain spec is tight. Which is why I went with their maximum limit. I had asked the dealer and they said something along the lines of there must be a reason for the tight spec. Now I know they can get stuff wrong ( facotory and dealer) so... I'm kinda trying to float the middle.

Any engineers who can weigh in?

I have read here that the Factory chain spec is tight. Which is why I went with their maximum limit. I had asked the dealer and they said something along the lines of there must be a reason for the tight spec. Now I know they can get stuff wrong ( facotory and dealer) so... I'm kinda trying to float the middle.  
Any engineers who can weigh in?
No engineers needed.  Every other sportbike factory specs are much looser, us track folks run it even looser, and there are no issues, only benefits.  Full rear suspension movement, etc. 
You should be at least 1 inch or 25mm.  I run 2 on all my track bikes I've ever had.

For example, the R6 runs 30-45mm (1.18" -1.77") of slack: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/612270/Yamaha-Yzf-R6.html?page=79

It's like Yamaha forgot the 1" in front when they made the FJ09 manual.

• Premium Member
Run our FJ around 1.5" slack without issues.
Same here. None whatsoever.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...