• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

The bottom re-done job looks much better Lawrence.
Well done!!

Leave the pinstripe off...IMO

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Leave the pinstripe off...IMO

Kimmie - you and Mrs Wordsmith seem to be of the same opinion - so I shall probably apply the pinstripe tape!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

So I assembled a new RAD Mini electric bicycle: 

20170724_170656_1.jpg

That seat is probably more comfortable than the one on your FJ!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I was up around Suches yesterday.
Ahh man.. that would have been cool to run into another FJ.. we met up at Suches, rode blood mountain, then across wolf pen gap, then up to Blue Ridge. We saw a FZ while we were out but no FJs. 
We were riding from about 12:30 - 3:30 or so.. did you get rained on?
We must have just missed each other. Yep I got rained on. I live in Ocoee Tn right and it absolutely poured on me for about 10 miles going around Ellijay.  

Let’s go Brandon

Couple things:

1.  Installed the Go Cruise mechanical cruise control.  Couple of people posted very good reviews on it, and after a short test drive, I concur.  5 second installation, held the setting nicely on the washboards that pass for roads around here.  Have a long-ish (100 miles one way) ride planned for the weekend, I think it'll be a handy addition.

2.  In the spirit of experimentation, took the windshield completely off the bike.  Again, a short test drive indicates a YUGE reduction in wind noise!  No buffeting either at 50+ with a couple of short bursts up to 80-ish.  I'll make a final decision after the weekend trip, but I'm thinking I'll leave it off at least until colder weather.

There are as many opinions and recommendations as there are posters here, but perhaps the money for an after-market windshield is worth it after all...

• Supporting Member
... In the spirit of experimentation, took the windshield completely off the bike.  Again, a short test drive indicates a YUGE reduction in wind noise!  No buffeting either at 50+ with a couple of short bursts up to 80-ish...
I did the same thing this weekend, and was amused to confirm the same results over the course of 100 miles or so.   I ran it up to somewhere near 110, and it actually felt more stable than it does with the stock screen.   It's amazing that Yamaha managed to engineer a windscreen that consistently performs worse than nothing at all.    

... In the spirit of experimentation, took the windshield completely off the bike.  Again, a short test drive indicates a YUGE reduction in wind noise!  No buffeting either at 50+ with a couple of short bursts up to 80-ish...
  It's amazing that Yamaha managed to engineer a windscreen that consistently performs worse than nothing at all.  
Not so amazing.   They achieved the same thing with the factory seat - it feels as if it's been left off and the rider is sitting on the tool-kit!

20170724_210322.jpg 
got this little project for the weekend on my doorstep and got my old stock exhaust bubble wrapped up for AdvRich...what a productive pit stop from work...

Norcal - is that the Touring seat, or the (earlier) Standard seat replacement kit from Seat Concepts?   Comments after trying it out would interest many here... thanks.
20170725_195417.jpg20170725_195436.jpg20170725_195702.jpg20170725_195726.jpg
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

It's amazing that Yamaha managed to engineer a windscreen that consistently performs worse than nothing at all.  
Not so amazing.   They achieved the same thing with the factory seat - it feels as if it's been left off and the rider is sitting on the tool-kit!
Hah!  Ain't that the truth? 
Fortunately (if expensively) Corbin has a solution.  First big-dollar mod I made to the bike.

Kimmie - you and Mrs Wordsmith seem to be of the same opinion - so I shall probably apply the pinstripe tape!
...what Kimmie said.
Just because I happened to have a roll of the 3mm gold-coloured pin-stripe tape I decided to apply some to one pannier lid.   Took about two minutes.   It looks OK, but no better than that, so I think it will come off...(in fact it's already off!)  

P1030904.jpg

• Premium Member
I did the same thing this weekend, and was amused to confirm the same results over the course of 100 miles or so.   I ran it up to somewhere near 110, and it actually felt more stable than it does with the stock screen.   It's amazing that Yamaha managed to engineer a windscreen that consistently performs worse than nothing at all.  
Well y'all inspired me to finally pull mine off. Doesn't hurt as our heat index lately has stayed in the triple digits, I could use some more air anyway.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Well y'all inspired me to finally pull mine off. Doesn't hurt as our heat index lately has stayed in the triple digits, I could use some more air anyway.
Hey guys.. if you like the minimilist screen (or none) as compared to the stock, you should check out the review I did on the eBay shorty screen.

https://fj-09.org/thread/5157/ebay-shorty-screen-review

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

@wordsmith

first impression of the new seat sitting on it in the garage is leaps and bounds better than OEM... where the seat gets skinny just past the bucket seat on the new seat, it holds my thighs up more, when the stock one put all the pressure in that area... I can actually flat foot the FJ-09 now... and the bonus is the new seat places me right in my preferred seating area and its level surface from front to back is nice, allows me to get intimate with the gas tank when hitting the curvy roads...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

@wordsmith  
first impression of the new seat sitting on it in the garage is leaps and bounds better than OEM... where the seat gets skinny just past the bucket seat on the new seat, it holds my thighs up more, when the stock one put all the pressure in that area... I can actually flat foot the FJ-09 now... and the bonus is the new seat places me right in my preferred seating area and its level surface from front to back is nice, allows me to get intimate with the gas tank when hitting the curvy roads...
That's a good first impression to have - but I'm still not clear if that is the Seat Concepts 'standard' replacement seat or their newer 'Touring' kit, which I currently have installed.   I can't quite flat-foot it at rest unless I straighten right up on the seat and move right forward.   Thanks for the response...