• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Hey Lawrence- maybe your penchant for gold pinstripe is influenced by the gold pinstripe on your favourite tipple (in those cases in the background) ? Minchinbury Crisp Classic Brut..

x_x
Hey, Robert - sadly not, though it's not a bad drop.   They are Mrs Wordsmith's property, destined for a charity fashion show she's been organising for some time now, raising funds for The Smith Family.   Alas, I'm not invited!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

[i style=font-weight:bold]PUT SOME REFLECTIVE TAPE ON THE HANDGUARDS...[/i]

Today I gave the bike its first clean in balmy 26°C (79°F) temperatures under a cloudless blue sky. If this is winter (and it is) give me more…

Having some dayglow orange reflective strips I also cut two shapes out and fitted them to the handguards on each side, all in the interest of being seen.       If my hi-viz front ‘conspicuity’ LEDs don’t do the job, these will assist, especially in close-quarter combat traffic, aided by their being mounted high-up and wide-apart.

The material is pretty thick and stiff so it hides completely the bolt-holes there – not that a dimple or two would matter.   But being an ultra-fussy Bloke I'm not quite satisfied with the fit around a couple of the the edges, so when I'm back from my upcoming trip north I'll re-do these stick-ons.   I've kept the cardboard template I made, so it's just a matter of rather more careful alignment when applying - though that's easier said than done as the adhesive does want to 'grab'.

P1030906.jpg

P1030907.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

...what Kimmie said.
Just because I happened to have a roll of the 3mm gold-coloured pin-stripe tape I decided to apply some to one pannier lid.   Took about two minutes.   It looks OK, but no better than that, so I think it will come off...(in fact it's already off!)  

P1030904.jpg

Glad you finally saw sense and took the pinstripe off........... Mrs Wordsmith & I obviously have similar taste in these things 

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Hey guys.. if you like the minimilist screen (or none) as compared to the stock, you should check out the review I did on the eBay shorty screen. 
https://fj-09.org/thread/5157/ebay-shorty-screen-review
I agree @duhs10. I ordered and fitted one after your review and it's staying on all summer. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

@wordsmith  
first impression of the new seat sitting on it in the garage is leaps and bounds better than OEM... where the seat gets skinny just past the bucket seat on the new seat, it holds my thighs up more, when the stock one put all the pressure in that area... I can actually flat foot the FJ-09 now... and the bonus is the new seat places me right in my preferred seating area and its level surface from front to back is nice, allows me to get intimate with the gas tank when hitting the curvy roads...
That's a good first impression to have - but I'm still not clear if that is the Seat Concepts 'standard' replacement seat or their newer 'Touring' kit, which I currently have installed.   I can't quite flat-foot it at rest unless I straighten right up on the seat and move right forward.   Thanks for the response...
20170726_071629_2.jpg
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I did the same thing this weekend, and was amused to confirm the same results over the course of 100 miles or so.   I ran it up to somewhere near 110, and it actually felt more stable than it does with the stock screen.   It's amazing that Yamaha managed to engineer a windscreen that consistently performs worse than nothing at all.  
Well y'all inspired me to finally pull mine off. Doesn't hurt as our heat index lately has stayed in the triple digits, I could use some more air anyway.
Aaaaaand it's AWESOME. OMG why did I wait two whole years to try this?!?  
Airflow is amazingly good, wind hits me mid-torso and clean, undisturbed air over the helmet with no noisy buffeting at all. THIS is glorious for summer riding. Back to my naked bike roots!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

New shoes. 
Metzeler Roadtec 01

Oooo this is the tire I'm leaning to when the stockers wear out. Let us know how they do!
Obviously it will be a while before I can report long term results, but so far I'm liking them. 
I'm pretty sure they have a rounder profile than the Dunlop D222s (even accounting for my D222s being worn).  Bike feels a little quicker to lean over then it ever has as a result, but I'm willing to admit that could be totally in my head.  However, after that picture was taken, I took the bike on a sporty route that I'm very comfortable with - comfortable enough that I touch down the feeler pegs a couple times - and there's way more "chicken strip" left on the Metzelers as compared to what I had on the Dunlops.  I don't think I'm going to be able to behead the elephant, the wear line only just touches it.

@wordsmith Good job on those panniers.  I haven't gotten around to trying to redo mine yet.

• Premium Member

I installed the Givi Radiator guard and the Denali Soundbomb mini horn. I also ordered the Metzler Roadtech 01 rear tire but I haven't installed it yet. The stock tire still has a small amount of life left on it with 5,200 miles so far and Revzilla had a great discount on tires so I ordered in advance.

Well y'all inspired me to finally pull mine off. Doesn't hurt as our heat index lately has stayed in the triple digits, I could use some more air anyway.
Aaaaaand it's AWESOME. OMG why did I wait two whole years to try this?!?  
Airflow is amazingly good, wind hits me mid-torso and clean, undisturbed air over the helmet with no noisy buffeting at all. THIS is glorious for summer riding. Back to my naked bike roots!
Followed suit and pulled the windscreen..100000% better and yes its nice quiet airflow that even I noticed with my hearing loss... airflow like my FZ-07 ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Followed suit and pulled the windscreen..100000% better and yes its nice quiet airflow that even I noticed with my hearing loss... airflow like my FZ-07 ?
Now you did it. Am FJ and an FZ. I'm officially jealous  :'(  

PAINTED TOP-BOX SIDE PANELS TO MATCH PANNIER LIDS…

That’s all! Paint appears a bit darker than on the panniers due no doubt to my spraying the paint directly onto the black top-box plastic (after appropriate ESPing to ensure good adhesion). The panniers had white primer undercoat applied first, which lightened the Charcoal Metallic Gloss appreciably, even after several coats, of which it required many to get an acceptable match to the fuel tank.

The newly-painted section is almost the same colour as the dimpled black plastic surface of the top-box itself, and in truth it’s almost invisible as it is on the pannier lids themselves, but its high gloss finish does give a bit of contrast – more in some lights – and chimes quite well with the panniers.

I’m happy with the result though, not least because the top-box and panniers will rarely be on the bike together. And if they are, I’ll only ride after dark so as not to offend the purists here…!   (Second pic only added because it's there - nicely cleaned bike!)

P1030917.jpg
P1030914.jpg

TRIAL-PACK...

Did a trial-pack in readiness for my upcoming trip north from August 10th.   Made some small revisions to the route, accommodations, and timing to give me an extra day in paradise.   Route now looks a touch over 5000km/ 3100mi.   Panniers and top-box with contents weighed-in at 21.3kg, and still plenty of room left, not that I'll be filling them 'just because'.  8-)

TRIAL-PACK...
Did a trial-pack in readiness for my upcoming trip north from August 10th.   Made some small revisions to the route, accommodations, and timing to give me an extra day in paradise.   Route now looks a touch over 5000km/ 3100mi.   Panniers and top-box with contents weighed-in at 21.3kg, and still plenty of room left, not that I'll be filling them 'just because'.  8-)
I obviously pack too much. How do you guys do it???  All my stuff weighs in around 25kg plus my 65lt duffel with the tent, sleeping bag etc on the back seat.

Have trial packed and re-packed ready to leave on my adventure on August 2nd.
I have room in the top box for my heated gear (when not required) and extra water.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)