What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Pulled the trigger on highway pegs... Kuryakyn Large ISO (model 8031, 1" clamp for the Givi bars).... yes, they're chrome, but decided that comfort and quality trumped style in this case (seen eBay junk spin on the bars... no thanks)... might not look too bad. There's always paint if I really don't like the look.
I bought Rivco pegs for mine.  A little pricey, but solid and black.  Pic shows them mounted on SW Motech crash bars.  I have since switched to GIVI bars. 
Crash%201.JPG

Crash%202.JPG

Installed my Sargent seat. Wow... it is wide, but my butt likes, although real test yet to come. Nice quality seat. Lost the a/c pulley bearing and the clutch coil in the car on way back from the U.S. so there was good balance to the day ??? . Wrenching on Father's Day... could be worse I guess. 

IMG_20170617_145436.jpg

Your going to have to rack up some mileage on that seat before the SS 1000 attempt 

Installed the touring version of the seat concepts seat, all was very straight forward, would have liked it if the waterproof plastic layer was big enough to cover all the foam.. Left the cover in the sun for an hour to heat it up.
After I got the correct staples and a new staple gun as mine shet itself about four staples in!
It was a 20 minute job. Hopefully take it for a ride soon. It is a little taller than the stock seat which is good too.
image.jpg

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD...

Not so much a ‘what did you do...?' - more a ‘what am I going to do...?', for my newly-fitted hi-viz front LEDs ceased working while out on a 300km ride today.

I noticed them on the outer ends of the mounting-bar vibrating like a product demonstration at a sex-toys fair, and when I arrived at my destination both were kaput.   I’d not have been surprised had olde-worlde bulbs with fragile filaments inside been fitted, but I rather thought that LED beads are vibration-resistant.

So I’ll have fun and games again disassembling the front of the bike to get at the under-screen wiring and accessory leads, and taking it from there.   If worst comes to worst, I do have some thin-walled steel tube of about 1” (25mm) diameter that I can make another mounting bar from that would definitely be vibe-free, and if the LEDs are dead I do have another pair of 'Angel Eyes' that will do nicely.

And while at it – that seat!   The day’s outing was 2 x 150km legs with about half-an-hour off the bike between.   After an hour it felt as if I was seated on a stone bench with a length of 2” x 1” laid flat and crosswise under my thighs.   Torture!

I have on order (I think!) a Seat Concepts Touring seat kit but the Oz distributor doesn’t seem at all anxious to let me spend a few hundred dollars with him – or at least that’s the impression I get from his poor communication.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD... 
Not so much a ‘what did you do...?' - more a ‘what am I going to do...?', for my newly-fitted hi-viz front LEDs ceased working while out on a 300km ride today.

I noticed them on the outer ends of the mounting-bar vibrating like a product demonstration at a sex-toys fair, and when I arrived at my destination both were kaput.   I’d not have been surprised had olde-worlde bulbs with fragile filaments inside been fitted, but I rather thought that LED beads are vibration-resistant.

So I’ll have fun and games again disassembling the front of the bike to get at the under-screen wiring and accessory leads, and taking it from there.   If worst comes to worst, I do have some thin-walled steel tube of about 1” (25mm) diameter that I can make another mounting bar from that would definitely be vibe-free, and if the LEDs are dead I do have another pair of 'Angel Eyes' that will do nicely.

And while at it – that seat!   The day’s outing was 2 x 150km legs with about half-an-hour off the bike between.   After an hour it felt as if I was seated on a stone bench with a length of 2” x 1” laid flat and crosswise under my thighs.   Torture!

I have on order (I think!) a Seat Concepts Touring seat kit but the Oz distributor doesn’t seem at all anxious to let me spend a few hundred dollars with him – or at least that’s the impression I get from his poor communication.

For round 2 try not to mount them so far apart, they are probably a bit too far away from the supporting bolts and just swinging like a pendulum. I only just ordered my seat a day before you directly from the supplier and as you know have already got it fitted. If they haven't sorted their shit out just go direct. Cut out the incompetence...

• Supporting Member
Installed the touring version of the seat concepts seat, all was very straight forward, would have liked it if the waterproof plastic layer was big enough to cover all the foam.. Left the cover in the sun for an hour to heat it up. After I got the correct staples and a new staple gun as mine shet itself about four staples in!
It was a 20 minute job. Hopefully take it for a ride soon. It is a little taller than the stock seat which is good too.
image.jpg

They offer a "Touring" version now?  I just had them upgrade my seat 2 months ago...  yours looks a bit taller. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

FIXED YESTERDAY'S FAILURE OF THE FRONT LEDs

Following yesterday’s failure I took the front LEDs set-up apart for the umpteenth time to try to identify what caused them to cease functioning – I had thought that excessive vibration may have been to blame.   It wasn’t - a quick check of the LEDs by wiring them into the battery showed they were AOK, so it must have been a wiring failure.

I took apart all the joints I’d made and re-soldered them, with new heat-shrink tubing over the joints.   I also replaced the vibration-prone flat mounting bar with a 20mm diameter steel tube, with very thin walls and very light in weight.   As we all know hollow tubes are extremely rigid so this one will definitely not vibrate!

Dressed it up a little by putting some faux carbon-fibre vinyl on it, which neatly chimes with the adjacent body panels.

While at it, I installed a handlebar-mounted switch, not that it’s necessary, I feel, but I had one so thought it may as well be used.

Some black plastic furniture tips fitted the open ends of the tube perfectly, so I hope that’s it with this job.

Only one thing now remains to be done, which is to install the DIY flashing rear brake-light LED strips, once the Modulator arrives, by slow boat from China.

LATER EDIT: June 22nd.   I have replaced the LEDs shown here with the first-fitted 'Angels Eyes' LEDs, having mastered the odd sequence in which they come on - full: half: flashing!   The switch - not originally fitted - helps me to control their operation to ensure I don't ride off down the road and annoy the pleece with illegal flashing lights!.   I'm also happier with the fitting of these onto the round mounting-bar as the clamp-style fastening holds these LEDs more securely than the single through-bolt of the others.   For the same reason they have also been easier to set-up so as to have an identical pattern of light viewed from in front of the bike.   Hopefully that's it!

Top pic below is the original LED set up: lower two pix show the Angels Eyes... 

P1030761.jpg
P1030768.jpgP1030769.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I bought Rivco pegs for mine.  A little pricey, but solid and black.  Pic shows them mounted on SW Motech crash bars.  I have since switched to GIVI bars. 
Crash%201.JPG

Kuryakyn pegs are going back... very disappointed. They weigh a tonne (wow!!) and worst of all... they spin on the bars no mater how tight. These clamps are probably best suited to something chromed, or at least not powder coated. Could I ask you Bob to post a pic of your Rivco pegs on the Givi bars... and... what model are they? I will give Rivco a try next.
I'll get a couple of pics up later today.

• Premium Member
These worked for me with my 7/8 inch engine guards: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-Black-3-Piece-Motorcycle-Frame-Clamp-Exhaust-Foot-Pegs-Lights-Speakers/152140274622?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 
I did use some aluminum tape to sung them up a bit before tightening them to the bars.
Those look exactly like the ones I have.

• Premium Member
Crash%201.JPG

Kuryakyn pegs are going back... very disappointed. They weigh a tonne (wow!!) and worst of all... they spin on the bars no mater how tight. These clamps are probably best suited to something chromed, or at least not powder coated. Could I ask you Bob to post a pic of your Rivco pegs on the Givi bars... and... what model are they? I will give Rivco a try next.
Well, Better late than never!  LOL 
The Rivco pegs and mounts are sold separately.  That way you can get the correct mounts for the diameter of your bars.  Mine are very snug and don't rotate on the bars at all.  I don't know which model they are.  I got them on eBay.  If you search eBay, you'll find them.

Right now, the pegs are mounted high on the bars, but I intend to move them to a lower location soon.

Givi%201.JPG

Givi%202.JPG

FITTED AN EXTENSION TO THE SIDE-STAND LOWERING STEM...

I’ve recently fitted new rubber-topped foot-pegs, which are both wider and longer than the OE pegs, and on the lhs this extra length makes it tricky for me to readily locate the side-stand lowering-stem without having to look down.

Looking for a fix I found a short length of 15mm diameter aluminium tube that was ideal for extending the side-stand stem, and it just fitted over the ball-end.

I filed a small recess into one end of the aluminium tube, which locks it in place at the inner end of the lowering-stem. The tube has been secured by filling it at each end with hard-setting silicone sealant, and a small black rubber grommet neatens the outer end. A cuppla quick squirts with black paint and job done!

The extension adds about 40mm or 1½” to the length of the OE stem and is worth its weight in gold!

P1030770.jpg

P1030772.jpg

P1030773.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Installed Adventuretech mirror extenders. These things were a breeze to install and look OEM, highly recommend.

Also installed the MRA touring screen, by far the best looking and functioning screen I've experienced so far. It is short but the "bubble" on it makes for really nice clean air around the helmet and no pushing on your chest.

sKvh5Tm.jpg
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

FIRST SERVICE, NEW PANNIERS, AND NEW LEVERS

The bike’s first service was completed satisfactorily today at 1040km, and the Yamaha DNA security ‘dots’ added. The service was done for me at no charge as a ‘make-up’ by the dealer because I’d been screwed around a good deal waiting for the panniers to arrive: they are a ‘free’ inclusion with the MT-09 Tracer on the Australian market. And well worth having, and now fitted. I’m still tossing-up whether or not to paint the lids…

The new aftermarket levers were also fitted – again gratis.   These levers are the only bit of near-‘bling’ on this bike, but apart from their attractive and high-quality look I really bought them as my small-ish hands benefit from the adjustable-span clutch lever. On the out-of-the-box bike only the front brake lever can be adjusted. Yes – I’m wondering why too! They are beautifully made – AUD$58 post-free – and can be had in a variety of anodized colours.
P1030767.jpg

I had a chance to try out the seat concepts touring seat last night. I rode to the local bike accessories shop for some dirt bike goggles.
Only a short ride but what a massive difference! The foam is noticeably taller. I'd put it at a level between low and high settings. When in the high setting it becomes high high!
The foam moves a fair bit more than stock and actually compresses when you move around. If you were just into sports riding I would steer away from the touring version.
Not saying you can't ride briskly on this but you loose a little of the sharpness of the stock seat.
So far I am stoked. See how it goes on a long ride soon hopefully.