What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
I remember when I first saw this at the dealer and wondered if they had put the tire on backward.  Evidently, as tire technology evolves,  so do the theories of water displacement from the contact patch.  In the motorcycle world, it is all about cornering stability whether wet or dry and this is what Dunlop has come up with in the RoadSmart II tire.   
Food for thought

http://sgbikerboy.com/2016/12/26/why-do-motorcycle-front-and-rear-tires-have-opposite-tread-patterns/

https://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/what_sets_dunlop_apart/technologies/overview.jsp?id=60547

I can say that my roadsmart 3’s with 13000 miles on them did phenomenal in the freakin monsoon I got caught in between Dallas and Abilene last Saturday. They plowed through some deep water and stayed planted.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
The original chain was toast after 20K miles, so I threw on the D.I.D. chain and sprockets I bought here. The bike shifts like butter now. Bled the brakes and deglazed the rotors while I was at it. Still loving this bike after 3 years!
20180421_173920.jpg

Now that the weather is warmer I removed the handguards and then installed Puig bar ends. The bar ends are made for the FZ09 but fit perfectly on the FJ-09. The bar ends come with 5 different color rings. I chose gold to match my forks

IMG_20180425_194521.jpg

20180421_105801.jpg

This is the new Shad pinlock tank bag. Just got it the other day. It's 10L not too big, not too small.

20180421_105810_HDR.jpg

This is a chinese rear cover I thought looked cool. Not sure how well it works yet. Found it on Aliexpress.

20180421_105820_HDR.jpg

Ktech rear shock. Ordered it about 1 inch shorter to drop the bike down a bit. Great improvement.

Nice. I’m really wanting one of those Shad bags. Got a Givi recently and it’s been very underwhelming. How is the clearance with the tank trim?

• Supporting Member
The original chain was toast after 20K miles, so I threw on the D.I.D. chain and sprockets I bought here. The bike shifts like butter now. Bled the brakes and deglazed the rotors while I was at it. Still loving this bike after 3 years!20180421_173920.jpg

I ordered from Sprocket Center as well, I just got the DID VX chain and the RS7 sprocket.  I originally had 15/45 gearing but switched to 16/47 (almost same gear ratio).  Great company and great product.
OEM chain was toast at 18k maybe because of smaller front sprocket? (tighter turn radius?)

Sprocket.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
The original chain was toast after 20K miles, so I threw on the D.I.D. chain and sprockets I bought here. The bike shifts like butter now. Bled the brakes and deglazed the rotors while I was at it. Still loving this bike after 3 years! 20180421_173920.jpg

I ordered from Sprocket Center as well, I just got the DID VX chain and the RS7 sprocket.  I originally had 15/45 gearing but switched to 16/47 (almost same gear ratio).  Great company and great product. OEM chain was toast at 18k maybe because of smaller front sprocket? (tighter turn radius?)

Sprocket.jpg

That setup looks good! Kinda wish I'd gone with the black sprocket, but the steel one is growing on me.

I took your suggestion and ordered those axle blocks too after the cheap Chinese adjusters failed on me. The ones you have really look the business, can't wait to get them on the bike this weekend. Thanks for the lead on those. Love all the good intel on this forum.
BTW, was your rear sprocket hard to remove? The nuts on mine were nearly impossible to break loose.

• Supporting Member
That setup looks good! Kinda wish I'd gone with the black sprocket, but the steel one is growing on me.

I took your suggestion and ordered those axle blocks too after the cheap Chinese adjusters failed on me. The ones you have really look the business, can't wait to get them on the bike this weekend. Thanks for the lead on those. Love all the good intel on this forum.
BTW, was your rear sprocket hard to remove? The nuts on mine were nearly impossible to break loose.
My sprocket replacement was a piece of cake, the nuts came off like normal. 
I got those axle blocks on Ebay about a year ago and cant find them online anymore.  A buddy with an FJ wants a set but we are coming up empty, where did you order yours from?

That is kinda weird. My stock tread also goes in that direction. Never really questioned it but I see what you mean. The idea is that the tread is supposed to channel water away from the center of the tire. However, it seems that with this orientation it is actually doing the opposite.
Weird indeed. I just looked at the stock tire I pulled off the bike a few days ago (never changing tires by hand again, btw) and the direction arrow on the tire does point "against" the tread. Somehow this never looked odd to me when it was on the bike.  The one time I did ride it in heavy rain it was no fun at all though...

took the Red Bike out... made a fool of a silly Ford Slowtang driver ?... spent a good hr debating on suspension upgrades for my heavy 180# suited up frame...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
spent a good hr debating on suspension upgrades for my heavy 180# suited up frame...
Did you come up with any final decisions?

spent a good hr debating on suspension upgrades for my heavy 180# suited up frame...

narrowed my choices down...
-Cogent Dynamics carts and basic rear
-pattonme carts and the zx6r (?) rear
-stoltec carts and basic rear 

I plan to do the cart/spring swap myself...

just need it for 50/50 street/track- Im more of a set it and forget it kinda guy...

• Supporting Member
narrowed my choices down...
-Cogent Dynamics carts and basic rear

just need it for 50/50 street/track- Im more of a set it and forget it kinda guy...
For a very fair price you can get Matts cartridges which work VERY well and Norwest basic revalve and spring for the shock. 

narrowed my choices down... -Cogent Dynamics carts and basic rear

For a very fair price you can get Matts cartridges which work VERY well and Norwest basic revalve and spring for the shock. 
im curious about pattonmes zx6r oem shocks he has Norwest tinkering with...  
I have pattonme cart retro fit on my FZ-07 from back in early 2015... it was one of the only legit retro fits around at the time...

yall think the FJ-09 has icky suspension, just ride a FZ-07 which makes the FJ-09 suspension feel like a cheap bare bare bones aftermarket grade suspension...night and day difference...

im on the fence on how much to spend... anyone from the snowed in places wanna send me your aftermarket suspension to keep the suspension oil warm ?

took the Red Bike out... made a fool of a silly Ford Slowtang driver ?... spent a good hr debating on suspension upgrades for my heavy 180# suited up frame...
Haaaaaaaaa!  I do so love making Rustang drivers look bad!   
I think it's the stealth effect of a fat, gray-bearded old fart on what looks like a touring bike.

Haven't had the chance to do that to a Ca-moo-ro yet, perhaps they just know better.

Haaaaaaaaa!  I do so love making Rustang drivers look bad!   
I think it's the stealth effect of a fat, gray-bearded old fart on what looks like a touring bike.

Haven't had the chance to do that to a Ca-moo-ro yet, perhaps they just know better.

Camaro drivers know better ? they are educated ones in racing and most I know are street cars that run 7s-8s in the 1/4 , round here its Ford Country ?... only the good ones have a chevy motor ?...

yes I agree about the looks of a sports touring bike with a old grey haired... even more fun when you got side bags and launch control...