What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member

Whining friends:  “There are no fun roads around here…”

Me:  “Oh really?” 

19D6E692-D4F9-4C9F-B5A6-D76487847C72.thumb.jpeg.b051f6d19cba16ddaf50fdcf59e27143.jpeg

For the record, all of the loops were on the pavement.  It just looks like a dual sport ride on the GPS trace.  Honest!  😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Whining friends:  “There are no fun roads around here…”

Me:  “Oh really?” 

19D6E692-D4F9-4C9F-B5A6-D76487847C72.thumb.jpeg.b051f6d19cba16ddaf50fdcf59e27143.jpeg

For the record, all of the loops were on the pavement.  It just looks like a dual sport ride on the GPS trace.  Honest!  😇

You trying to take the virgin out of the new set of knee pucks Santa left in your stocking? 🙂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Call them.  I can't find it now but I bought it from them in 2017 along with several others.  It was based on the 16 XSR clutch then...

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/5715067a87a8661278a051b1/clutch

@Instinct28 - Here's the link I used to buy from them....  Also, currently on sale for $242.67US.

https://www.partshark.com/product/53311/xsr900-slipper-clutch-for-fz-09

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

You trying to take the virgin out of the new set of knee pucks Santa left in your stocking? 🙂

At least I do it honestly, and not in the garage with a belt sander… 😀

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 4

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

@Instinct28 - Here's the link I used to buy from them....  Also, currently on sale for $242.67US.

https://www.partshark.com/product/53311/xsr900-slipper-clutch-for-fz-09

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free

Little bit of Dire Straights there 2&3.  That will be in my ear now to send me off to slumber land. 🙂

I shoulda learned to play the guitar

I shoulda leaned to play them drums

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Little bit of Dire Straights there 2&3.  That will be in my ear now to send me off to slumber land. 🙂

I shoulda learned to play the guitar

I shoulda leaned to play them drums

Can you believe Mark Knopfler is 72 and his lil bro Dave 69?!

People say I don't look my age at all and look great.

I respond "Looks can be very deceiving.".

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 12/31/2021 at 7:22 PM, Warchild said:

These really do look quite nice. The grip tread certainly looks aggressive. Are you finding you have to adjust your shift position (and/or shift-assist linkage), since this footpeg arrangement has your boot sitting both outboard and lowered from stock? I am guessing that contributes to the outermost portion of the shift rubber being worn first.

As stated, I've hopefully complimented the new pegs with a new type of foot shift lever peg rubber cover I'd never seen before.

Alas I won't be able to test the efficacy of these components until I'm back in the saddle next spring.

20220104_195328.jpg

20220104_195248.jpg

20220104_195204.jpg

Screenshot_20220104-200242_Radar X.jpg

20220104_194936.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Got my new GPS setup. Good bye Nuvi and hello DriveSmart. The new unit did not like the old PSU, so I had to replace it with the TA20 PSU that came with it. The board was just small enough to still fit inside the project box that I have tucked behind the LH side fairing. The new PSU just happens to work with both the DriveSmart and the old Nuvi.

garmin_psu_box.thumb.jpg.f6109bc13f8d8efc7fe723b77e80edd8.jpg

RAM doesn't make a cradle for the DriveSmart... so decided to fuse the Akron adapter with the snap-in attachment for a pretty solid setup. The 3-way BT business with the phone and Cardo (calls only) still needs some setup/learning. Not a super important feature for me really, but having fun playing for now.

garminDS_mount.thumb.jpg.38e3f5991a81992bbde5389200341c1b.jpg

garminDS_mount2.thumb.jpg.163bbc3edac363a108949e2d2f3bd9d9.jpg

• Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Very sanitary but doesn't the corrugated wire loom sheath blow around at speed?

I had been using an ancient Nuvi 765T, which has traffic, BT, a MP3 player & Jpeg viewer, etc but even the replacement battery I managed to install died, the screen was tiny and the maps wouldn't update.  So when the XT was introduced at only $399, I had to jump on one.  Not anywhere near as inexpensive as a Drivesmart (which model did you get?), though for motorcycles and features, you have to admit the XT is currently the bomb!

20210425_154043.jpg

20210425_154638.jpg

20210425_161447.jpg

20210425_154433.jpg

20210425_154557.jpg

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

doesn't the corrugated wire loom sheath blow around at speed?

Not at all. Had this setup on the bike for years with zero issues.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

@2and3cylinders - What's this bit here if I may ask?  Some kind of vibration stabiliser?  If so how and where have you got it connected?

image.thumb.png.74df760eb29fd7b860e26787cc756b50.png

If you recall I reinforced the wind screen upper cross tubes with epoxy putty, and lower with a length of all-thread and aluminum Z brackets that react (brace) against an alternate screen adjustment mechanism using a bicycle QD axle (visible in my photos and covered in another thread).  This significantly stiffened the entire fairing / instrument support assembly.  However, the heads-up display  mount assembly I fabricated for a radar detector and GPS (and/or cell phone as it's wide enough for 3 devices if their heights are staggered) has light gauge brackets that are sandwiched between the two uoper shield mounting holes, and in conjunction with the long RAM double ended ball socket arm means road shock sometimes gets them occilating, vibrating quite a bit.

So yes, that is a vibration damping strut I created out of a thin, resilient vinyl tube filled with compressed closed-cell polyethylene joint filler used as a backer for caulk (elastomeric sealant) joints; often referred to as backer rod.  The backer rod stops about 37 mm from one end of the tube, and 20 mm from the other end.  I squirted a bit of 3M side body molding adhesive in the short end and then  flattened and bent it, then bonded a length of the hook side of peel n stick Velcro around covering both flattened sides.  The other end of the tube is cut on both sides inline with the flattened end, with a hole punched at the end of each cut to keep the "slit" from attenuating (extending).  This end is formed by  positioning it between the OD of the 1" rubber covered RAM ball and ID of the bracket arm ball socket, and held in place when the bracket arm clamp is tightened.  The damping tube's lower end Velcro tab is held in position by a corresponding tab of the loop side of Velcro located on top of the instrument housing between the turn signal indicator lights.

Overall, vibration is very well damped other than when traveling above around 80+ mph (128 kph) on a very bumpy road or over displaced transverse expansion / contraction joints located at regular intervals.

I know my above description is long winded and likely difficult to understand, so when I remove my wind screen preparatory to my scheduled winter maintenance, I'll take a few close up photos for anyone who's interested's edification.  😎

BTW, It's around 3 degrees F (-16 C) here today, cool even by our standards!

• Thanks 1