What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

Are you getting a BMW?

I dunno. The original plan was to get an R1250RT, and I submitted a custom build order in September. But here we are on February's eve and I haven't even been told a build date yet.

Plus, I've been hanging out in an RT group on Bookface for a couple months and it seems like every other post is about warranty repairs and reliability issues. Not real confidence inspiring.

I'll visit the Ducati dealer tomorrow or Wednesday to look at a Multistrada V4S. Unless I absolutely hate it for some reason that's what I'll get. The V4S groups only talk about aftermarket exhausts and carbon fiber bits and tires, despite some people already racking up serious miles on them. It appears to be a solid, reliable platform that works well right out of the box.

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Sorry to hear and hope you are staying with us regardless of your next steed!

What are you doing with everything you removed?  A forum garage sale!

I'm sure there's things I'd be interested in; unfortunately.

I'm leaving a few things on the FJ: MCCruise; OEM heated grips; SW Motech crash bars and skid plate; Hepco-Becker saddlebags; Öhlins shock. The MCCruise is of course nearly impossible to remove. The Öhlins shock hurts a little since it's only a year old and would probably have good resale value, but the OEM shock is so worn and shitty I can't in good conscience put it back on the bike.

Some farkles I plan to keep and reuse elsewhere. But there are a few items I will probably put up for sale:

Mr. Ed's custom saddle

Adventuretech aux light bracket

Madstad windshield and hardware

V-Stream windshields (med and large) and hardware

Barkbuster Storm handguards

Tentative: Aux fuel system (rack, tank, modified passenger seat)

• Supporting Member

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, keithu said:

Not worth it IMO. For all I know that shock is even worse than my original one. I bought a used shock once from a respected seller and it was garbage.

I suppose there is always a chance that it could happen but I have only had the opposite experience. 

I have bought many used parts from cycle salvage resellers on ebay, including complete forks, shocks, wheels etc and have never received anything other than quality usable parts.

The only reason I mention it is because I did the exact same thing on my previous FZ1, before getting rid of it I stripped off the suspension parts and bought replacement forks, seat and rear shock to return it to stock.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I don't want to seem like a vulture but may be interested in the Barkbusters and Madstad (if it's 22" minimum), like I need to try another screen...  Maybe also the saddle.

And I agree with B about putting on a used shock.

I just saw recently the MSRP on the Multi S and was shocked that it was more than an RT.  If only I had the discretionary funds.  However, my poor also fastest red 06 Mazda 3S, with only 150,000 miles, needs replacement because it is so rusted out and banged up the front passenger door doesn't close without being slammed and it makes painful noises over every rut.  Oh well, at least my FJ has a few miles left on it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I don't want to seem like a vulture but may be interested in the Barkbusters and Madstad (if it's 22" minimum), like I need to try another screen...  Maybe also the saddle.

I'll let you know. Nothing goes up for sale until I have a new bike in the garage.

I just saw recently the MSRP on the Multi S and was shocked that it was more than an RT. 

Yeah, it's expensive. My cage is a Toyota Tundra with 18k miles and it's paid for. At the current rate of 4k miles per year, I could probably go the rest of my life without a car payment. 🤔

BTW I had a newer Mazda 3 as a rental last week on a business trip. I've driven virtually all the compact sedans as rentals and the Mazda is the best driver's car right now. Really nice. If we had to replace my wife's Elantra GT for some reason I'd probably urge her to get the Mazda 3 hatchback.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

I'll let you know. Nothing goes up for sale until I have a new bike in the garage.

Let us know! 

Mazda 3 is the best driver's car right now.

The 3 came out in 04 and we got one for my oldest.  I was so impressed I sold my 01 Subaru Forester (which also was a great year for it before it got so big) and bought my 3S.  Zoom Zoom!!

If I can I'll get the CX-5 AWD Turbo, again the best sporty compact SUV for the money.  However they may be doing a major redesign that'll ruin it.  I hate CVT and DCT in a cage, so the over priced but almost as sporty Toyota Rav 4 could be an option.

• Premium Member

Getting way off topic here... 🙄

I drive 30+ rental cars per year, and I've also driven most of the compact/mid-size SUVs including the CX-5. Not one of them handles as nicely as, say, a Toyota Corolla. And many of them are not terribly space efficient. Driver and cargo space is usually no better in a crossover or SUV, and sometimes worse. They usually have better back seats than a similar-sized car, which is important if you need to haul passengers. And if you have old knees and/or a back, ingress and egress are easier. But if you prioritize driving dynamics and fuel economy, I'd recommend almost any sedan or hatchback. 

Whatever you do, don't get a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. The handling on that thing is hilariously bad. It feels exactly like driving one of these:

SRI004FRONT.thumb.png.62b0e1e7fd0619ddbb36d80180ade57e.png

• Haha 2

The Multistrada V4S is stupidly expensive, but for very good reason.  It's an AMAZING bike.  Flatly better than the Tracer in basically every way.  That's not a disparagement of the Tracer mind you, just that when you're paying roughly twice as much, you really ought to expect a miraculous machine... And it is.  I know two guys with them, and neither has ever had anything bad to say about it (aside from the fact that (just like the Tracer) while you can put ADV tires on them, they are definitely sport touring machines, not adventure machines.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Nice!

How loud comparatively?

@2and3cylindersCertainly louder, but not obnoxiously so (it would be if I ever took the baffle out), all stamped up, so road legal here in the UK. The main difference is in the timbre, a lot more 'bass' a lot more 'throaty'.

It is wonderful, I can now hear my exhaust and the Tracer sounds less like a sewing machine now, really pleased with it. Just what I was after, louder but not so loud that you'd get fed up with it on a days riding. 

Here is a 'before' clip so that you can compare...

Edited by bowlin01
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Last night my wife said, "I was looking at the FJ in the garage... Do you think I could ride it?" She had her own bike 25 years ago, but quit riding when she got pregnant with our youngest.

So... It looks like you vultures who want some of my parts may have to keep circling for a while.😎

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, keithu said:

Last night my wife said, "I was looking at the FJ in the garage... Do you think I could ride it?" She had her own bike 25 years ago, but quit riding when she got pregnant with our youngest.

So... It looks like you vultures who want some of my parts may have to keep circling for a while.😎

Wow, that's great yet also scary for a couple of reasons.

1 I'd worry about her riding, not having the experience, etc..

2 She's going to need a lot of gear, training, and input from you, which will cut into your riding time and budget.

If she does get back on the road and hangs with it, it could be wonderful for both of you and bring you even closer together.  Or not!  LOL

Good luck!

• Thumbsup 2