What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, vlink12c said:

Bought my 2020 GT yesterday, definitely my dream bike, less than 1200 miles.

Congratulations on the new bike!  You’re going to love it.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, vlink12c said:

B9C02957-B07D-4DB4-9A24-1379D9CBB3E4.jpeg

Nice but where are you, your profile is nonexistent.  We're always interested in who you are, as well as how that influences your choices.  In this seller's market, how easy was it to find and for how much?

Welcome aboard there's a lot of information here and great people.

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yep, and it looks like it has a few nice farkles already.

Agreed. Part of the reason I liked it so much -  already had a few bits on it. Super happy with it. Coming from a Honda NC700X to this brings a healthy learning curve.

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, vlink12c said:

Agreed. Part of the reason I liked it so much -  already had a few bits on it. Super happy with it. Coming from a Honda NC700X to this brings a healthy learning curve.

Funny I was considering a used NC750 DCT for around town due to issues with my left hand and also it's frunk but used prices have shot up,so forget that noise!

7 hours ago, vlink12c said:

That's a great bike, You'd love it.

I don't mean to troll but I test rode the NC700 DCT and it was the least fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. I'm sure it's very practical but it felt really boring coming from the Kawasaki 650 platform (Er6/Ninja and Versys).

The Tracer is it's polar opposite, nothing but fun fun fun. :) And did I mention fun?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I wished it a Happy Birthday.   Six years ago I brought home this leftover 2015 model FJ, back when they were cheap and plentiful.   It was a bit rough around the edges, and the Gen 1 fit & finish sometimes reminded me that it was an $8K motorcycle, but that CP3 motor and the overall character more than made up for its flaws.   

What I didn't expect was just how deep of a bond I was going to form with this bike.  I've never owned a bike for this long without the fun starting to wear off.   It still makes me smile every time I ride it, and I've slowly molded it into exactly the hooligan-sport-tourer that I never even knew I wanted.    Granted, I've spent way more on mods and upgrades than I planned, but it's been worth every penny.   It's a keeper, as other bikes have come and gone, and I don't have any plans to get rid of it...  

Matagorda_Bay_3-6-2022.thumb.jpg.2158170c987a7f678d80ca8f24ad8e92.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, petshark said:

I don't mean to troll but I test rode the NC700 DCT and it was the least fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. I'm sure it's very practical but it felt really boring coming from the Kawasaki 650 platform (Er6/Ninja and Versys).

The Tracer is it's polar opposite, nothing but fun fun fun. :) And did I mention fun?

Quite right. I got the NC as a trainer, returning to riding after 20 years. I expected that to last a few years, but I was way ahead of the bike in 4 months. It is a grocery getter, not really a touring bike. I took it on a long trip in December, and caught Tracer GT fever somewhere between Bisbee and Tucson. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/8/2022 at 7:28 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Nice but where are you, your profile is nonexistent.  We're always interested in who you are, as well as how that influences your choices.  In this seller's market, how easy was it to find and for how much?

Welcome aboard there's a lot of information here and great people.

Okay, I’m from Phoenix and semi-retired. They had the GT on the floor for over 8 months, go figure. I watched it eventually drop $3k and started working on my acquisition plan. My wife likes her new car very much 😉. I am not above bribery. 
So it was way too easy find, like shark bait. I paid $11k plus dealer abuse. Zero regrets. Looking forward to learning all I can thru this site. 

• Thumbsup 3

That's it.  I want you to negotiate my next bike purchase.

Is there a Suzuki GSX S1000 GT somewhere in Phoenix? 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I wished it a Happy Birthday.   Six years ago I brought home this leftover 2015 model FJ, back when they were cheap and plentiful.   It was a bit rough around the edges, and the Gen 1 fit & finish sometimes reminded me that it was an $8K motorcycle, but that CP3 motor and the overall character more than made up for its flaws.   

What I didn't expect was just how deep of a bond I was going to form with this bike.  I've never owned a bike for this long without the fun starting to wear off.   It still makes me smile every time I ride it, and I've slowly molded it into exactly the hooligan-sport-tourer that I never even knew I wanted.    Granted, I've spent way more on mods and upgrades than I planned, but it's been worth every penny.   It's a keeper, as other bikes have come and gone, and I don't have any plans to get rid of it...  

Matagorda_Bay_3-6-2022.thumb.jpg.2158170c987a7f678d80ca8f24ad8e92.jpg

My also fastest red will be 6 in July.  I'm not as enamored with it as you and to make up for its shortcomings invested way more money and especially time in it than I wanted in order to mold it closer to my liking.  In the long run I could have bought a nice used S1000XR and have been farther ahead.  But I didn't want a 4 cylinder and didn't look into used bike financing.  At the time, Yamaha had a cash off incentive, an accessory discount and 2.8% financing; so I went for it.  I think without accessories, or T&L it was about $8,500.  But I've sunk about another $2,800 (likely a fair bit more) in it in parts alone; labor by me.

But it is a decent looking piece and does everything very well if not great, it's just not my fastest or prettiest red steed...

And it can be fun, unfortunately since I bought (and why I bought it for its less committed ergonomics) I haven't been in the shape I needed to be to really feel good about pushing me and it past 80% or so.  Hopefully in another year I'll be able to.

20220211_125939.jpg

20220211124510.jpg

20220211125318.jpg

20211202_184304.jpg

20211031_124810.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

On 3/7/2022 at 9:43 PM, vlink12c said:

B9C02957-B07D-4DB4-9A24-1379D9CBB3E4.jpeg

Welcome and nice bike!  Saw where you are retired and in Phoenix.  The Tracer GT is a great bike in hot weather as it does not throw heat off onto the rider. Took my 2020 GT across Kansas last summer and spent an entire afternoon riding in 106F.  Nice and toasty but the bike did great and without cooking me.  Its a great bike and semi retired you can take off and do the long trips 🙂  I bought mine in Sioux Falls SD in September of 2020.  Rode it back to Alabama and since then it has been to Topeka, KS, Vernal Utah and Red Lodge Montana.  Trip to Montana was via Michigan UP.  So lots of miles and it is a great trip bike but also fun in the mountains - loaded or unloaded.  

If you are going to take your wife you might want to upgrade the rear shock and spring.  My wife does not ride with me, not even around the block!  May have something to do with a scooter crash in Italy a few years ago.

This is a great forum and lots of good info on everything from maintenance to mods.   

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, vlink12c said:

Okay, I’m from Phoenix and semi-retired. They had the GT on the floor for over 8 months, go figure. I watched it eventually drop $3k and started working on my acquisition plan. My wife likes her new car very much 😉. I am not above bribery. 
So it was way too easy find, like shark bait. I paid $11k plus dealer abuse. Zero regrets. Looking forward to learning all I can thru this site. 

Howdy neighbor!

• Like 1