What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

I said goodbye today. Never have been able to get it sorted out after my maintenance debacle over a year. Work last year was insane. My overtime increased 30% and I actually changed companies at the beginning of the year as a result. And then had a baby. So I haven’t had time, and won’t have to fix it. Fortunately, my brother in law does. He likes a project, and wanted something friendlier than the S1000R he picked up last year, so I signed it over to him. I’m glad he took it on. I’ve got 50k miles of great memories on it, and I hope he adds some of his own. 

86E052C1-D734-435B-89F1-D2EA0AD6BDFB.jpeg

• Sad 3

Finally the weather was good yesterday, 67F and no rain but it was windy.  Rode the twistiest road in the Chicago area, the ravines on Sheridan Road.  I got lucky that a LEO caught someone in a BMW Z6 for speeding most likely since the speed limit there is 15 mph, Ha Ha.

The bike felt good and I love the sound that the CP3 makes.  Now I will have to wait another two maybe three weeks to get out on it again.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, OldBikers said:

Finally the weather was good yesterday, 67F and no rain but it was windy.  Rode the twistiest road in the Chicago area, the ravines on Sheridan Road.  I got lucky that a LEO caught someone in a BMW Z6 for speeding most likely since the speed limit there is 15 mph, Ha Ha.

The bike felt good and I love the sound that the CP3 makes.  Now I will have to wait another two maybe three weeks to get out on it again.

Now your T9 is like you, a salty dog!

Not exactly today, but recently I added the KOSO heated grips which I like because they d not have any additional controller parts to mount anywhere on the bike and are very high quality. The switch to adjust the heat level is directly on the left hand grip at thumb level, with a different color to identify the heat level. I also added the ATLAS Apollo throttle lock which allows one to easily lock and unlock the throttle to hold speed temporarrly to shake out or rest one's throttle hand. This is not a cruz control, but a quick on/off throttle lock. There is a lot of info on line about both of these units, and I did a lot of research before I bought and installed them. But in fact, I came to them by way of recommendations from very experienced fellow riders, who have used them for years on multiple bikes, and who let me ride their bikes to try them out. Which I did. These are both very cool, and I think useful items.

Koso heated grips.jpeg

Atlas Apallo Throttle Lock.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, huck said:

I also added the ATLAS Apollo throttle lock which allows one to easily lock and unlock the throttle to hold speed temporarrly to shake out or rest one's throttle hand. This is not a cruz control, but a quick on/off throttle lock. There is a lot of info on line about both of these units, and I did a lot of research before I bought and installed them. But in fact, I came to them by way of recommendations from very experienced fellow riders, who have used them for years on multiple bikes, and who let me ride their bikes to try them out. Which I did. These are both very cool, and I think useful items.

Do you have enough road time with the throttle lock to list any pro’s or con’s?  I’ve been looking at those for my VFR. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 hours ago, huck said:

Not exactly today, but recently I added the KOSO heated grips which I like because they d not have any additional controller parts to mount anywhere on the bike and are very high quality. The switch to adjust the heat level is directly on the left hand grip at thumb level, with a different color to identify the heat level. I also added the ATLAS Apollo throttle lock which allows one to easily lock and unlock the throttle to hold speed temporarrly to shake out or rest one's throttle hand. This is not a cruz control, but a quick on/off throttle lock. There is a lot of info on line about both of these units, and I did a lot of research before I bought and installed them. But in fact, I came to them by way of recommendations from very experienced fellow riders, who have used them for years on multiple bikes, and who let me ride their bikes to try them out. Which I did. These are both very cool, and I think useful items.

Koso heated grips.jpeg

Atlas Apallo Throttle Lock.jpeg

I'm very interested in how the Atlas throttle locks compare to the basic lever throttle locks.  I've always found the levers work just fine (and much better than the "screw thing at the end of the bar" style) but they're also kind of bulky and get in the way when you're running grip mitts, so much so that I can't really use mine in the winter at all.

Have you used the lever sorts as well as the Atlas?  

Hell, can you just talk some about how exactly the Atlas works, how it's installed, and such?  I'm very curious about this, and am very interested in a relatively unbiased opinion (there's lots of gushing ads and such, but those are ads)

On 3/4/2022 at 8:56 AM, micah2074 said:

Gave her an early spring bath. She looks darn good for a girl with 120k miles on the clock. 

9EB9E428-4699-4091-B0C4-B3DDF32990AA.jpeg

Man, I wish I was backed up to woods like you are. 

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ09

OK, here is my response to the questions regarding the ATLAS Throttle LOCK. 

I have only used one other type of locking device, and that was the combo bar end weight/throttle lock unit that I found very clumsy, hard to engage/disengage. So I mostly just did not use it. I do not use bar mitts like Hippo Hand so I can't comment personally, but two of my friends, those that recommended this device to me do use them and told me they work just fine with such mitts. One of them uses "ATLAS Bottom" kit as he has stock heated grips with no exterior wires, and the other uses the "ATLAS Top Mount" kit as I do as he uses the Koso heated grips with a wire coming out the bottom of the throttle grip. 

As you can see from the picture it looks substantial up against the side of your hand against the throttle housing, but in use it has not caused me any problem, and does not interfere with the use of my thumb in using the Mode button. That took some practice of course, but not much, even with heavy winter heated gloves. Learning to activate and de-activate the throttle lock took longer... I went for a good long day ride and practiced until I had used it often enough that I could do so without looking. That took a bit of time, but eventually I could do it.

Because it works by friction, you can adjust it or back it off while it is engaged if needed with no problem. Eventually, I learned to disengage it while either backing it off or speeding up so that is was (More or less) seamless. I did this while wearing heavy winter heated gloves first, then much easier with normal gloves... MUCH easier with normal gloves. So, it took a while, but once I got used to it, I find it really, really useful. As I have got older, I find that my throttle hand and wrist suffers from fatigue and numbness more often than I would like, and this thing allows for me to shake it out and to recover from that condition quickly... So I give it a 100% 

I recommend it. But that is just me, and because of my wrist fatigue issue. Maybe you would prefer a Cruz Control unit? 

Like any first time installation, I recommend looking at as many install vids you can as it is small and a bit fiddly the first time you do it, but once figured out, very straight forward. It seems a bit pricy, but it is a very well engineered unit and to me at least, well worth it. Try to get the control buttons in a position that is comfortable for your use of course!

I hope this was helpful.

• Thanks 2

I rode very hard this past weekend exceeding speed of 135MPH, realistically how long can I keep this up? B4 something blows lmfao 

Edited by S7VN
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Is it when you get older you have more patience, no 

At least about a lot of things

Because you want to impart wisdom, maybe

Or is it you become more thorough and think things through better

Or all of the above