What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

24,000 Service. My bike is in pieces! 

1.  Flushed brake fluids - Done
2. Removed Tupperware and tank - Done
3. Removed and cleaned air filter - Done
4. Removed drained radiator and flushed engine coolant - Done
5. Removed and will replace Spark plugs - 1/2 Done
6. Pulled Valve cover and measured valve clearance - Done (ugly- exhausts!  See picture)

Tomorrow.
7. Pull cams, measure shims and order/source new shims based on valve clearance measurements to bring into spec
8. If I can find them locally great. If not wait for USPS or UPS........... snooze. Ride my wife's bike to work

IMG_0753.thumb.jpg.44a78cfa9cd451a7efc1ca09998eb9c2.jpg

Other items.

1. Replace Front Fork oil|
2. Replace Coolant
3. Replace oil and Filter
4. Replace Clutch cable
5. Clean/lube and adjust chain
6. Replace hastily installed auxiliary wiring with  a better routing to my accessories
7. Install new MC Cruise Control (why did I wait so long!)
8. Install Tupperware and Tank
9. Ride!

I will follow up

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, 2linby said:

There's nothing like a well taken care of bike for peace of mind and Spring is right around the corner, all you'll need is fuel.  😎

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 2/25/2022 at 7:51 PM, 2linby said:

6. Pulled Valve cover and measured valve clearance - Done (ugly- exhausts!  See picture)

Tomorrow.
7. Pull cams, measure shims and order/source new shims based on valve clearance measurements to bring into spec
8. If I can find them locally great. If not wait for USPS or UPS........... snooze. Ride my wife's bike to work

Other items.

2. Replace Coolant
4. Replace Clutch cable
6. Replace hastily installed auxiliary wiring with  a better routing to my accessories
9. Ride!

I will follow up

Very similar to my list!

This may help you.

http://www.dirtcloud.com/valveshim/

BTW Rocky Mountain ATV has 7.48 mm Pro-X valve shims* in .025 mm increments for a $1.95 each; buy .02 mm oversize because all shims (OEM, Hot Shims, etc. run that much on average under stated thickness).

RMATV had them to me in 2.5 days regular shipping ($6.00 if order is under $75)!

*Listed as for Honda but it does not matter.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/pro-x-valve-shim-p

SHIM & BUCKET VALVE LASH ADJUSTMENT LOG & WORKSHEET.jpg

2022-01-14 BA 2015 Yamaha Maintenance Log Update A.jpg

20220226_194230.jpg

20220226_195723.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Went to fit the side cases supports , and managed to chew up both the left side footrest hanger bolt heads 😕

And that was after buying a new Torque wrench and hex bits just for that job

Annoyingly both the right side bolts came loose without any problems.

After reading the above posts , I'm feeling even more useless about it.

Thankfully our friend is a helicopter mechanic locally so is popping round tomorrow to get them out for me.

Partzilla is now my Friend,  4 new bolts ordered , thankfully in stock so should be here midweek.

The Job itself seems easy to do , bolts made of cheese wasn't part of the plan !!  

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, micah2074 said:

647A648A-C092-49C0-AB6C-57E7038F043F.jpeg

Congrats!... the new gen is a beautiful bike. I have yet to ride one of these, but I am told they are very comfortable and surprisingly light once on the move.

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

11 hours ago, micah2074 said:

I adopted Gertrude (my FJ) a sister. 

Meet Francine. 

That red.  Mmm.  Nice.

These are such outstanding bikes too; absolutely the pinnacle of what they are.  Nothing else really compares at all.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I don’t know what it says but She’s the nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned. By far. 
Thanks for the comments. She’s not taken the place of the FJ, but the wife went in a few trips with me last summer any wanted something more… “comfortable”. 

• Like 2

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member

I'm bushed after 2 long days of adjusting the adjusting the valves, changing the plugs, vacuum flushing and filling the cooling system, and cleaning everything that was hidden by the radiator and body work, I'm sore as h***!

If I knew then what I know now when I was younger

Oo la la

20220228_191809.jpg

20220227_215302.jpg

20220227_154513.jpg

20220227_154200.jpg

20220227_140220.jpg

20220227_141027.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

On 2/25/2022 at 5:51 PM, 2linby said:

Tomorrow.

Other items.

2. Replace Coolant
4. Replace Clutch cable
9. Ride!

I will follow up

Bike is broke down. I was able to use the exhaust shims for all of the intake valves keeping them within spec and have new shims ordered for the exhaust valves from Pro-X 1.70mm and 1.75 to get me well within the spec range for exhaust valves. Amazingly enough I was able to find them on Amazon.

IMG_0758 2.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0754 2.JPG

Edited by 2linby
  • Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member

Can you provide link on Amazon for the Pro-X shims?  Were they $1.90 each including free Prime shipping?  I have the Hot Cam shims full kit but sometimes need to fill in when in between sizes or am out of a size.  As a stated above, I got the Pro-X last time from RMATV but had to pay $6.50 shipping.

BTW, I don't remove the cams from the chain.  I remove the chain tensioner and slider and have enough slack then to just zip tie the chain to the sprockets (and index them to each other with a micropoint correction fluid marker, as well as down at the drive cog) and move them aside and hang them out of the way.  I also only tip down and forward the radiator without disconnecting the main hoses

I index each fastener as it is removed either in a cardboard template or in a labeled film can or plastic bottle for each group, and clean them before reinstallation.

I was surprised how oily and dark colored (stained?) your cam journal caps were?  What engine oil do you use?  If you look at the photos of my cam journal caps, which were not cleaned after removal, they were comparatively very clean.  From new, I changed the oil and filter after the first 100 miles with Yamaha dino GP, then their semi syn at 4,000 and 8,000, then switched to Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 since with synthetic media filters every other change sometimes with Yamaha OEM in between, and am now at almost 52,000.  Last compression and vacuum leakdown tests were near perfect but there is no such thing as perfection.  I just try to get and keep it close enough for the girls we go out with.

• Premium Member
On 2/28/2022 at 7:24 AM, micah2074 said:

I adopted Gertrude (my FJ) a sister. 

Meet Francine. 

After you put some miles on her, would you please do a write up on your impressions, tank range, cost, etc.? I'm very interested in a Wing, but the cost has scared me off. Thanks

• Thumbsup 1