What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Do you pull hoses and drain coolant when you use this method?

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, nhchris said:

Do you pull hoses and drain coolant when you use this method?

No, just remove L & R upper bolts and disconnect the lower peg to grommet stay, disconnect the rad fan plug behind right side rad cowl, and the rad overflow to recovery bottle hose (and its reusable formed zip-tie) and cap the rad outlet "spigot" with a vinyl cap.

Eliminating the AIS makes access easier.

Careful removing the coil over plugs; rotate them and wiggle while pulling.Ā  Put silicone grease on the coil gaskets to ease future removal.Ā  A bit of the same on the plug insulator also eases removal & install.

Good luck!

• Thumbsup 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

No, just remove L & R upper bolts and disconnect the lower peg to grommet stay, disconnect the rad fan plug behind right side rad cowl, and the rad overflow to recovery bottle hose (and its reusable formed zip-tie) and cap the rad outlet "spigot" with a vinyl cap.

I didn't even go that far, I just removed the two upper bolts, and tilted the radiator forward. Then there was sufficient room even for my sausage-fingers. I was pleasantly surprised that the cooling system remains intact when you do this; no draining occurs after unbolting/tilting forward.

Ā 

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Ā  Put silicone grease on the coil gaskets to ease future removal.Ā 

Ā I have had mixed feelings about doing this in the past - probably just some old wives tales about that grease not doing well in a blistering hot engine bay over time. I can definitely see a little dielectric grease on the spark plug terminal, no question about that. Of the three coils, it was the #1 coil (far left as you sit on the bike) that was a real bastard to remove, so I am inclined to try the silicone grease

• Thumbsup 2

6 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Starting to enjoy a dedicated gps, not happy with the anti glare protector on it however, seems poor compared to whatever I found for my dash.

Ā 

wow, that thing is huge! Is is a dedicated motorcycle gps from Garmin?Ā 

Love the heavy duty bicycle bell btw. Must be pretty loud to be useful above the engine noise.

2 hours ago, petshark said:

wow, that thing is huge! Is is a dedicated motorcycle gps from Garmin?Ā 

Love the heavy duty bicycle bell btw. Must be pretty loud to be useful above the engine noise.

Nope just a regular old car gps, I don't ride in the rain so the premium of "motorcycle" gps is too expensive. I can buy two of these for a price of a zumo and it's much larger.

Bell is more of a joke but the kids like it.

• Thumbsup 4

On 3/9/2022 at 6:28 PM, nhchris said:

That's it. Ā I want you to negotiate my next bike purchase.

That's funny, but actually what I do for friends and family. I've got a whole bag of tricks.

Ā 

On 3/9/2022 at 6:28 PM, nhchris said:

Is there a Suzuki GSX S1000 GT somewhere in Phoenix?Ā 

There's a 2016 in Tucson - just listed on Cycle Trader

Ā 

Ā 

66EF880F-9C92-42BC-86E8-F1385F3AB9C3.jpeg

I wasn't going to hang a bunch of adv-rider-ish hardware on my 900 GT, but the factory configuration leaves the lower half of the bike without any protection at all. So some amount ofĀ Creeping AdvRider-hardware is finding its way onto the bike. It started with SW-Motech Crash bars:

Mar4DrivewayCloseup.thumb.jpg.2665af95954164fc7ff6b941eb26584f.jpg
Ā 

Next up: more SW-Motech protection... after I drill the oil plug access hole, I am going to have this plate shot with Rhino Truck Bed liner.Ā Ā šŸ‘

SW-MotechSkidPlate.thumb.jpg.73528dab489fc67cb435acf60bdb45a3.jpg

Ā 

• Thumbsup 3