Needing just a back tire

I currently have the Dunlop d222 on my fj and I may only have 2,300 miles on my bike , and they are already close to being wore out. I called the local dealership for a new back tire and they said the d222 are not available. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good tire?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I currently have the Dunlop d222 on my fj and I may only have 2,300 miles on my bike , and they are already close to being wore out. I called the local dealership for a new back tire and they said the d222 are not available. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good tire?
The Dunlop Roadsmart 2 is the exact same tread pattern as the D222, but is a two compound tire, so you will get more miles out of it.  It will preform about the same in the twisties. 
You can get  more miles out of a Michelin PR-2, 3 or 4 which are all two compound tires.  The PR-4 will seam less responsive, but is a great tire once you get used to it and you will not be disappointed.

The Bridgestone Evo T-30 is also a very good tire.  More like the Dunlops than the Michelins.  Better for the twisties.

Those are the only tires I have run on my FJ-09.  I have PR-3s, PR-4s and T-30s on my shelf with 3-4K left on them because I have had to remove them for a 5K ride and just haven't worn them out yet.  All good tires.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I run the Michelin PR4 GT's on my FJR. I got 12,000 miles out of the rear and 14,000 miles out of the front. The GT version just means its a heavier carcass tire for larger, heavier bikes. For the FJ-09, I'd go with the regular PR4.

I've heard good things about the Pirelli's as well. 

I'm personally not a fan of the Bridgestones or Dunlops. They wear out way to fast for me and I don't find them to provide any better traction. In some cases I think its worse.

The Metzeler Roadtec 01 is a brand new tire, so not a lot experience with it yet from many people. I did like the Metzler's I put on my old cruiser though.

I recently put on a set of Pirelli Angel GTs and, man, are they ever a huge step up from the stock units. 
Highly recommended.
Same tyre for me. I really like them.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I swapped out the stock Dunlops for PR4's and I love them. I got 13,500 miles on them and they are still doing fine. I posted a picture of my rear tire and I still can't believe I have so much tread left. They handle great, especially in the rain. I'll never get another brand other than PR 4's.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

@fjmax you saw my ContiRoadAttack 2 Evos in person.. they performed well, but given the fact that they are slightly more narrow than the D222 (although still a 180 size tire) I don't know how they would perform with the stock front tire.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I did the Dunlap Roadsmart II and it was good but now have a set of the new Dunlap Roadsmart III. Supposed to be the bomb! ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Supporting Member
I recently put on a set of Pirelli Angel GTs and, man, are they ever a huge step up from the stock units. 
Highly recommended.
I have gone through several sets of Angel GT's, as stated above, they are a fantastic tire!  They will hold traction in a corner long after I have lost my nerve and backed off the throttle. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
BTW if you have 2300 miles and think you can just get a new rear... perhaps you should really look at your front to see how worn it is. I did the same thinking oh I can use two rear tires to one front. Then I evaluated it more closely. It was almost gone too! About the same miles as you have too.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
I'm about to replace my Dunlop roadsmart 2's with a set of roadsmart 3'. They're sitting in the basement waiting to go on. I got 13,000 miles out of the 2's and have been quite happy with them.

Let’s go Brandon

Archived