Needing just a back tire

• Premium Member
Every time a motorcycle tire company comes out with a new tire model they claim it will get better treadlife and all kinds of other good stuff. This has been going on for about 20 years that i can member so if it was true I figure I should be getting around 100,000 miles a set by now. :D
BLB

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Frankly I'm amazed I'm getting 13,500 plus out of my Michellin pilot road 4's. I'm in Florida, not many twisties, roads many smooth. I ride conservative. I've never gotten this kind of mileage before out of tires on any motorcycle in my forty plus years of riding. Very impressed...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I was all set to buy T30 Evos to replace my stock tires this year, but all of the sudden there two new competitors which both sound like better tires.

Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and Metzeler Roadtec 01.

Reviews on the Metzelers have been pretty glowing. MSRP is crazy, but actual market pricing is a lot more sane. Think I might give them a shot.

• Supporting Member
Reviews on the Metzelers have been pretty glowing. MSRP is crazy, but actual market pricing is a lot more sane. Think I might give them a shot.
Metzeler currently has a $40 Rebate on a set.  Offer ends 4/30/17 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
Never trust a skinny chef and never take tire advice from someone who gets 15000 miles from a rear tire. They have no idea how their tires can perform. Bentaero is right on the money. It's not a criticism, it's simply obvious that they don't test the performance envelope. You wouldn't ask Marc Marquez about how many miles he gets out of a rear would you? We should start a thread to see who gets the least mileage out of their tires. ?

• Supporting Member
I just put on a PR-4 on the back - runs great, little learning curve. Dual compound so it should last a tad more. got 6K out of the OEM rear.
Are you running that PR4 rear with the stock 222 front?   I've wondered how that combination would behave, since the profile of the Michelins seems very different from the OEM Dunlops.   I got 4,800 miles out of the 222s, and replaced both ends with the PR4s.   I really like the PR4s, but since I did the tires along with a shock and fork upgrades, it's hard to isolate the difference that just the tires alone would have made.    

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I will be installing the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 later this week. Junior learned something new on the weekend... touring kills tires good. Was tempted to replace the front as well, but seemed wasteful as it's still pretty good.
I'm on the last 1/3 of a tour now. I put on a new set of Roadsmart 3s just before I left and they're doing very well. About 5500 miles on them now with about 4K of them with the bike fully loaded plus a passenger, and driving in over 100 degrees numerous days and in the 90s almost all of the rest. Lots of secondary roads but still many highway miles. They're holding up quite well,and I'm sure I'll have some good mileage left on them when I get back to San Diego (in Nevada now). I usually get at minimum 1.5x mileage from the front tire. The tires feel like they have a bit more of a triangular profile than the Roadsmart 2s. They fall into corners very nicely and hold well. I'd buy them again. Good luck whatever you decide!

Roadsmart is a great tire and usually my go to. But Dunlop just came out with a GPR 300 which was dirt cheap. I figured I'd give it a whirl. So far so good. Only a few hundred miles in the twisties.

'15 FJ09

Roadsmart is a great tire and usually my go to. But Dunlop just came out with a GPR 300 which was dirt cheap. I figured I'd give it a whirl. So far so good. Only a few hundred miles in the twisties.
Wow... that is dirt cheap! Marketing blurb... "high-performance radial tire for small displacement sport bikes..." might mean short tire life. I guess you'll find out... let us know, 'cause the price is certainly right!
Definitely. I couldn't find out any information about the compound though. Like, does it have a hard center like the Q2 (and I think Q3 does) did? If so, it will almost certainly be just fine.

'15 FJ09

I m thinking that gpr300 tire was designed for R3s and KLM390s. Those fit the small displacement sport bike definition. FJ-09 does not.

I m thinking that gpr300 tire was designed for R3s and KLM390s. Those fit the small displacement sport bike definition. FJ-09 does not.
Specs for Dunlop Rear Sportmax GPR-300 180/55ZR-17 Tire - 300R-04Aspect Ratio 55
Diameter - Rim 17 in.
Load Rating 73(805 LBS)
Position - Tire Rear
Sidewall Blackwall
Speed Rating (W) 168+ MPH
Tire Classification Sport
Tire Construction Radial
Tire Size - Motorcycle 180/55-17
Type Tubeless
Units Each
Weight 14.20 lbs
Width - Tire - Motorcycle & Dirt Bike 180

Looks like they would work.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived