Needing just a back tire

Are you sure they are worn out? My OEM dunlops lasted 13,400 miles at which time I replaced both. I could have easily gotten 15,000 out of them as they were not yet at the wear marks, but thought why use the last 10% of a tire. New PR4s over the winter when it was easier to do.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure they are worn out? My OEM dunlops lasted 13,400 miles at which time I replaced both. I could have easily gotten 15,000 out of them as they were not yet at the wear marks, but thought why use the last 10% of a tire. New PR4s over the winter when it was easier to do.
Tire life is heavily dependent on your riding habits, mostly how heavy your right wrist is, but also the weight you typically carry. I've seen tires last 10K plus miles for one rider and the same tire last only 3 K on an identical bike for a different rider.

Jeep:  I think you are the record holder for OEM tire wear.  Even at 13,400m.  That is miles, right? ;)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I got just under 15k miles outta my stock tires on my FZ-07 the D222...same tire/size on my FJ-09... they became to square for me in my normal lean angles, the rear end started getting sqiggly... I know some ppl can't stand a single noticeable flat surface and change out every oil change ?, some ppl prefer to buy used track tires... how come nobody really post pictures of the tire they replaced that was worn out?, I just noticed that outta curiosity...

Edit: i also had a brain fart...when i lived in Norcal the road surfaces was like a cheese grater x10 compared to the smooth texture Michigan roads... 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Wow, I can't believe getting that much out of the 222's. I went to The Dragon and was sitting right around 5k miles and completely wore the sides off the tire in a few days riding down there. It was completely bald on the sides.

Wow, I can't believe getting that much out of the 222's. I went to The Dragon and was sitting right around 5k miles and completely wore the sides off the tire in a few days riding down there. It was completely bald on the sides.
I'm always puzzled by riders that get high mileage from their tires on a performance bike. I can understand 15k out of the tires on a Harley or a gold wing, but an FJ? That's like getting 60k miles out of the tires on a Corvette. Why? 
 Isn't wearing out the tires the object? ;)  I suppose if I were only riding flat, straight roads I'd get a lot more miles, but in the land of the twisteez, 4-5k is absolute max.

Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
My original rear was gone at 3500 miles. So I put on a regular Roadsmart II and ran it until the front was toast (about 8k miles).
I am running the Metzeler Roadtec 01's and think they are awesome. Incredible performance in the rain, great grip in the dry.

There is a rebate program going on with Metzeler (not sure if it expired) - you get $40 off a set.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Supporting Member
I don't know how you guys are getting 13,000 miles out of a rear tire! I just replaced my PR4 at 6,300.
I think it is directly proportional with the guys averaging 55mpg...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Just got my new back tire (road smart3). Seemed good on the ride home. Rode a couple wheelies for fun? ,but I will put it through the test next week when I take my week long trip on it?

Don't forget to get your $20 rebate from Dunlop ;) (in case you forgot or were not aware) :D

I don't know how you guys are getting 13,000 miles out of a rear tire! I just replaced my PR4 at 6,300.
I don't think I ride hard, but I'm having to replace my PR4 at almost the exact same mileage.  I got about 4500 out of stock before it was shot (I think it may have actually gone flat but can't remember).  I was one of the 55mpg guys, but have since dropped to about 47.  Not sure what happened, maybe I need a new air filter and plug?  Maybe I just like twisting the throttle that much more.  The unfortunate part is I have a ton of tread on the edge of the tire but the middle is at the wear bars, guess i'm not doing enough twisties.  Still have the stock front on which is now needing replaced at 10.8k miles though.   
Can any of you comment on how the new Road Smart 3 is vs the PR4?  I really liked the wet performance of the PR4.  I'm not looking to go back to the 222 as it was sketchy wet for me.  

• Premium Member
I don't think I ride hard, but I'm having to replace my PR4 at almost the exact same mileage.  I got about 4500 out of stock before it was shot (I think it may have actually gone flat but can't remember).  I was one of the 55mpg guys, but have since dropped to about 47.  Not sure what happened, maybe I need a new air filter and plug?  Maybe I just like twisting the throttle that much more.  The unfortunate part is I have a ton of tread on the edge of the tire but the middle is at the wear bars, guess i'm not doing enough twisties.  Still have the stock front on which is now needing replaced at 10.8k miles though.   
Can any of you comment on how the new Road Smart 3 is vs the PR4?  I really liked the wet performance of the PR4.  I'm not looking to go back to the 222 as it was sketchy wet for me.  
I have the RS3's, but have no experience with the PR4's, nor do I ride in the rain. 

However, this article on Motorcycle.com states "... but the biggest player in this segment would be the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT, and that’s the tire Dunlop admits it had in its sights with the new Roadsmart III. (Michelin started it, says Dunlop, by picking on its Roadsmart II a couple years ago. And so it goes. This is a hotly contested battleground in the tire wars.)"

They are supposed to be designed to wear longer and hold their shape longer too, but only miles will tell.  $20 per tire Dunlop rebate if purchased by April 30 if you decide to go that way.

Archived