Helmet Lock?

In with your manual and shock wrench was a short length of cable about 8" long. One end I have threaded through the d ring on my helmet and back through itself. The other end goes onto that metal hook under the passenger seat by the latch mechanism.

Don't use it anymore after hearing about all these animals using peoples helmets as a toilet. If I caught someone doing that... I don't know if I could restrain myself...

• Premium Member
I use the helmetlok 2 and lock it to my handlebars. It sits closed right over top of the gauge cluster. You would have to climb on the bike and stand on the pegs to piss on/in it.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Just a couple quick pictures of it.c44dea8e30bceefd837615134c2af05c.jpg77da97bb0f0a9d4248b12a1c3bcc49f9.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
These are nice because their long enough to lock a helmet and jacket. If you go to rally's or races and your far from where your bikes parked things will walk away if their not secured. Another thing I do is hang my helmet low on a passenger footpeg where its less likely to be seen by a crook in the first place. Also with a combination lock that's one less key to possibly loose.

http://www.aerostich.com/retractable-cable-lock.html
BLB

• Premium Member
One of my bikes is a 1976 XS650C Yamaha. It came with a helmet lock that worked with the seat release. Turn the key to the left, it opens the seat. turn the key to the right it opens the helmet latch. Simple design. WHy the heck did Yamaha not use this 40 plus year old system in their current models? Was this a accounting decision because they could save a buck? Our FJ09's have the side seat lock. It would seem like a no brainer to have the helmet lock there as in my XS650C. Frustrating....
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

In with your manual and shock wrench was a short length of cable about 8" long. One end I have threaded through the d ring on my helmet and back through itself. The other end goes onto that metal hook under the passenger seat by the latch mechanism.
I do this all the time too, and am surprised more people don't do this.  Is it not secure enough for your tastes?  

To me, locking the helmet prevents casual theft.  If someone really wants your helmet, they're going to take it.  Hell, just cut it off at the D-ring and all these expensive locks are rendered useless.  The helmet is useless too, but someone who's going to steal a helmet in the first place might not be a logical enough individual to put two and two together.

The cable could be manipulated off the hook if you knew what you were doing. Also many cycle shops have people coming in looking to replace the d ring strap not know it's not possible. The shops all know it's a stolen helmet. 
People using longer proper cable locks are most likely going through the chin bar. 
Finally like I said, I don't leave the helmet on the bike unless I can see it because I have heard too many people tell stories of disgusting people going to the bathroom in someone's helmet. So I just take it with me and deal with it. 

@pcwizz I can confirm the part numbers. All genuine Yamaha parts so it is literally OEM.

You will need:
4R8-21308-01
2SC-2115J-00
90149-06154

The helmet lock comes with its own set of keys, but it looks like you can remove the cylinder and re-key it, so I will get back to you on that. Also, the helmet definitely fits with side cases installed.

20170609_154509.jpg

20170609_154757.jpg

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Ordered. I saved a little money with slow shipping. Cables are good, but a hassle. I won't leave the helmet locked up on the bike when I go to work for a 24 hour shift, but this will be great for running a grocery errand or lunch with the bike parked in front of the store/restaurant.

Thanks! Good find.

After reading this thread I ordered this type.
https://northwestmotorcyclesdirect.com/Oxford-LidLock-Helmet-Lock?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc%20merchant&utm_campaign=Oxford%20LidLock%20Helmet%20Lock

I have a Schuberth C3 helmet which has a ratchet type strap and the T bar that came with the lock is too wide for the ratchet. I'll have to grind the edges to make it fit. The cable is plastic, so totally insecure. And, it came with no instructions at all on how to reset the code. I've figured it out now, but I'm not sure I would recommend the lock in general.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 1 year later...
The cable could be manipulated off the hook if you knew what you were doing. Also many cycle shops have people coming in looking to replace the d ring strap not know it's not possible. The shops all know it's a stolen helmet.  People using longer proper cable locks are most likely going through the chin bar. 
Finally like I said, I don't leave the helmet on the bike unless I can see it because I have heard too many people tell stories of disgusting people going to the bathroom in someone's helmet. So I just take it with me and deal with it. 
Everything @raggededge said plus if you if you have accessories on the helmet they can easily be stolen (bluetooth cradles, mounts, visors, etc). In rain it can also collect water.

I've got the Helmet Guardian which attaches inconspicuously underneath the license plate and has room to lock 2 helmets. 
http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/helmet-guardian-black

Won't stop someone from whizzing in your helmet but keeps your passenger from giving you dirty looks when they have to carry their lid while you walk around unfettered...
I've used these on all my bikes for many years. Really like them. Only problems I've had is that on one bike (forget which) one helmet would hang against a hot muffler - wouldn't be a problem on FJ-09 / Tracer. Also the helmets are hung upside down so if left out in a rainstorm will get pretty wet.