Gas gauge stuck on full

sdwillie

Hey guys. Today I left my house with a full tank and rode 100 miles and when I got to my stop I realized my gauge was still at full. Thought it was a little strange so on the way home i decided to get gas it took about 2 gallons. I then clocked another 70 miles and the gauge didn't move again. I wouldn't be so bothered but this just started since I removed the tank to sync the throttle bodies. Any ideas what it could be? Thx
2016 FJ09

• Supporting Member
That sounds perfectly normal in my experience. Mine reads full until it drops to half tank reading, usually around 100-115 miles, then it starts dropping quicker.
  • Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

105 or so, sometimes as much as 115 then a rapid decline. Just like an 80's Chevy Truck. Stays full to 3/4 for what seems like 1/2 a tank but it still says 3/4. From 3/4 on seems like you use an 1/8 of a tank just to pass a car or accelerate hard up to 70 or so. At 200 miles to 205 I put in 4.3 gallons. So now I try to fill up by 200 or so. Not gonna push it  235 at all.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

What is the behavior of the gage when you first turn on the key?  Do all segments sequentially illuminate?

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

What is the behavior of the gage when you first turn on the key?  Do all segments sequentially illuminate? 
cb
Yeah everything works fine. 
Did you drive the bike 130 miles or so on a full tank? and did it change for you? Mine changed at 113 miles this last time.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Yeah everything works fine. 
Did you drive the bike 130 miles or so on a full tank? and did it change for you? Mine changed at 113 miles this last time.
Nah I did about 100 miles then filled up again. Since others have said theirs doesn't really drop until after that I will check next time I can get out on a nice long ride.  
2016 FJ09

• 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Garybinnyc said:

Glad I’m not the only one, I have about 75 miles so far in my tank is still showing fall, thought it was an issue but sounds perfectly normal after reading through this thread.

Normal yes; logical no.   :) 

So there’s nothing wrong with your fuel gauge, other than Yamaha’s design.  

• Haha 2