Actual vs. Indicated

whistler

• Supporting Member
MPH, that is.  

Was a little curious about the spread between the two, so I threw on my Zumo 550 and went for a long ride today.  Turns out, there was only a 1-2 mile spread between actual and indicated speed, at least according to my Zumo.  I was pleasantly surprised, only because I'm used to seeing as much as a 5-6 mph difference on my little V-Strom, depending on the roadway speeds at the time.  The GT's small deviation is the most consistent I've seen between all the bikes I've owned, even my old FJR.  The FJR was my first-ever Yamaha back in 2013, but I gotta say I really like this GT!  I think I could easily go whole-hog Yamaha...

And I CONSISTENTLY get that silly-ass grin on my face every time I crack the GT's throttle!  
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Premium Member
 My speedometer consistently reads 2 mph higher than my GPS.  At least it does when I'm looking.  ;-)

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member
I ride with a GPS as well and the bike usually always reads 1-2mph higher than the GPS. I'm not sure which one is actually correct, but we recently did a week-long 3,000 mile trip and when I got home the difference between my dash "Trip - 2" and the GPS trip total was a few hundred miles.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Like betoney, mine reads 1-2 mph fast, which is very good.  But the odometer reads high by a larger percentage, about 5%, so 200 miles on the GPS will show 210 miles on the odometer (trip meter).

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, stringman said:

mine is 7% faster  so a gps (garmin) 100mph is 107 on the tracer- Maybe its a euope thing?

Mine is like that too...about 7%....and I'm in North America.  2019 GT

27 minutes ago, Skidood said:

Mine is like that too...about 7%....and I'm in North America.  2019 GT

My UK  2019 GT also reads about 7-8% faster than GPS and my partners 2010 Fazer 8 is at least as bad and she insists on sticking to speed limits according to the bike even though she knows it's wrong 😟. I know it's a limit and not a target - and I'm reminded every time I say anything 😂

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Supporting Member

Mine was out quite a bit, too.  I was able to resolve by installing corrected ABS rings, but I don't think they're available any longer...at least, not from the source I got them (Vcyclenut).  Maybe contact them and see if they can still cook something up? - they wouldn't be difficult to manufacture.  They're identical front & rear, so if you've a template for one, you have it for both.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

My 2015 is also very close (within + 1 or 2 mph) but I don't know if it came that way, or if there was a correction done when the original owner had the ECU flashed. I've heard it both ways, so I dunno what the truth is here.

In any case, it's nice to have an accurate speedo, and I definitely have to remember it's a lot more accurate than my other bikes.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, knyte said:

Mine was out quite a bit, too.  I was able to resolve by installing corrected ABS rings, but I don't think they're available any longer...at least, not from the source I got them (Vcyclenut).  Maybe contact them and see if they can still cook something up? - they wouldn't be difficult to manufacture.  They're identical front & rear, so if you've a template for one, you have it for both.

I think they were made here in Aus by/from this seller.  I reckon if you contacted him they would/could make a set if needed.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Mine was out 'considerably' as well so, and because I already had the McCruise installed, I went with their Speedo error correction kit which, as it turned out, was a very simple addition to the existing hardware and with a software tweak/recalibration, viola - spot on!

EDIT - found the reference for anyone who may be interested.

• Thanks 1