EBay - Rear Mudguard Hugger

• Supporting Member

Has anyone installed one of these?  -  EBay - Rear Mudguard Hugger

From the photos, it appears to be maybe 3-4" longer than oem hugger,  I'm just curious about quality and any possible alignment issues.  For $42 it might be worth a gamble if it offers a little more splash protection for the shock.

Rear Hugger.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

FWIW.  I have the R&G hugger and think it helps.☺️ Though it costs a whole lot more. 😐

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

***UPDATE***

I ordered the one shown in the first post and just got it installed.  Oem hugger is 8", this one is 14", much more splash protection.

Make sure you can solve basic puzzles since this has no instructions, though after turning the brackets around a few times I figured it out.

Build quality, fit and finish is very nice, no complaints for $42.

Hugger 1.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Looks good. Please let us know how it works in rain.

I've looked at this one on eBay and wondered if the screening will  contain spray or just let it fly through.

cb

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, getpetey said:

Looks like it offers substantially more coverage, depending on the aerodynamic penetration of course...….

It does offer more protection, however if the roads are wet the splash still goes everywhere. 

This offers coverage to about the 12 o'clock position, to eliminate most of the splash, a rear hugger would need to curve around the tire to almost the 10 o'clock position.

Its an improvement but still not perfect.

• Thumbsup 1

Strikes me that the mesh side and top cut-outs are an unnecessary bit of flim-flam that would still allow a substantial amount of water through at any speed.   But a step in the right direction...

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Strikes me that the mesh side and top cut-outs are an unnecessary bit of flim-flam that would still allow a substantial amount of water through at any speed.   But a step in the right direction...

With the direction of wheel rotation, the mesh vents on the top dont let any water through, they are staggered in the wrong direction.  The water that flips up off the tire as it is rotating comes off the rear of the tire spraying forward.  As I said, the angle of the hugger would need to be at least the 10 o'clock position to keep things clean.

• Thumbsup 1

Even the best-designed huggers cannot keep the rear of any bike 100% clean.   It's unrealistic to expect otherwise, IMHO!

My BMW R1200 R after running through some extensive roadworks on Tasmanian roads...

P1010595.JPG

P1010596.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 4 months later...

this what I have on mine.seem to do the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-MT-09-Tracer-2013-2016-rear-hugger/323793320551?hash=item4b6395fa67:g:ZcsAAOSwJb9WrMwi&frcectupt=true

DSC04441.JPG

I had one power bronze on my 700 its useless shit every where those mesh inserts let a lot of the shit through.don't wast ya money on it.

Edited by johnakay

I want to deflect some of the junk just a bit more rearward. Was going to make my own extension to the factory unit but snagged one like the first post for about $30 delivered. Didn't expect much and was not disappointed :) The mesh pieces were kinda sorta hot-glued on and two fell off coming out of the packing. Not complaining. Will ride with it a bit to see what's what then may modify the openings with some abs welding, swap out the mesh to some finer stainless stuff I have laying around etc.  

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, johnakay said:

I’ve been looking at the hugger you linked to.  What’s the colour like compared to the rest of the bike?  It appears to be very glossy on the listing.

Also what is that bellypan you have?

CS