EBay - Rear Mudguard Hugger

After my recent tour of the UK I have personally experienced how completely ineffective the factory fitted rear hugger is. From the 2 week trip we had only 1 day of rain, but under that single day the back end of the bike was completely caked in cack. It seems to me that the factory hugger acts more like a giant plastic whisk spreading muck all over the swingarm and other parts of the rear of the bike.

Having done some research it looks to me like the two best aftermarket options are from R&G and Skidmarx. Both these alternatives offer better side coverage. I have enclosed two pictures below to illustrate; R&G on the left and Skidmarx on the right:

img2012_1.jpgyamaha-mt-09-all-models-2013-2016-rear-huggger-grp.jpg

It seems to me the Skidmarx provides the best protection. What I'm less keen on is the glossy finish on the Skidmarx hugger which doesn't really match the generally matte finish on my 2015 Tracer.  Price wise they both cost around £90 to £100. Skidmarx offer their hugger in carbon which might better match the Tracer but that costs £150.

Can any of you who have one of the above provide some feedback.

CS

Edited by captainscarlet

• 1 year later...

I'm re-opening this thread to provide some feedback on the Skidmarx hugger that I plumped for over the R&G on the basis that I thought it would provide better protection.  The hugger went on towards the end of summer 2019 and has mostly done dry miles.  It has been out in the wet a couple of times and did provide some improvement in protection.  The shock stayed pretty clean but the back of the bike still gets pretty messy.

Having recently fitted a new more heavy duty chain I have discovered a limitation with the Skidmarx hugger.  It is in two parts with the main hugger forming the mud and chain guard at the rear of the swingarm.  There is also a second piece which forms the front part of the chain guard.  The two parts are joined by a screw and nut that is visible in the picture in the post above.  Unfortunately the inside of this fitting is exactly in line with the chain run and my new wider chain catches on the fitting.

The shiny gloss finish has also troubled me somewhat since the hugger went on so I've now removed it and refitted the original chain guard and hugger.  I think the bike looks better for it....

So I'm now thinking the R&G will be the best option.  It simply bolts on in place of the original hugger and the original chain guard stays.

If anyone is interested in the Skidmarx hugger I'm happy to part with it, although I'm guessing postage from Sweden to just about anywhere else will make it an unattractive proposition.

CS

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, captainscarlet said:

Having recently fitted a new more heavy duty chain I have discovered a limitation with the Skidmarx hugger.

Curious about the chain, did you change chain and sprockets to 530?

Sorry to hear that the Skidmarx hugger didn't work for you, it sure looks like it would offer better protection.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

25 minutes ago, betoney said:

Curious about the chain, did you change chain and sprockets to 530?

Sorry to hear that the Skidmarx hugger didn't work for you, it sure looks like it would offer better protection.

No it's a 525 chain but the D.I.D ZVM-X chain I fitted is more substantial and wider than the original OEM D.I.D chain.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Installed my eBay hugger last night.  The brackets are indeed a bit fiddly but nothing too taxing.

It's that aerodynamic penetration that excites me.  Will be testing that out at lunch time...that's right:  a nooner aerodynamic penetration test (IT joke, aw gawd I kill me).

...too far ?

Edited by knyte
  • Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, knyte said:

It’'s that aerodynamic penetration that excites me.  Will be testing that out at lunch time...

Go get ‘ya some!   If you read backwards in this thread, you’ll find we found some amusement in this previously.  

I’ll be waiting for you SOC Self Attestation security report...  :) 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the NW and ride in the rain all the time. When I first got the bike I found the stock hugger to be almost useless, and mud and road crap was a constant issue.

I got the R&G hugger because it looked like the best length and fit available, and as you can see from this picture, it looks fine. It works very well, and keeps the bike relatively road splatter free.

It was a bit more expensive than some of the others, but It fit perfectly, and has been there for over 50K miles and still looks brand new. I am sure there may be others that do the job, but I feel I am getting my moneys worth.

IMG_0354.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, huck said:

I live in the NW and ride in the rain all the time. When I first got the bike I found the stock hugger to be almost useless, and mud and road crap was a constant issue.

I got the R&G hugger because it looked like the best length and fit available, and as you can see from this picture, it looks fine. It works very well, and keeps the bike relatively road splatter free.

It was a bit more expensive than some of the others, but It fit perfectly, and has been there for over 50K miles and still looks brand new. I am sure there may be others that do the job, but I feel I am getting my moneys worth.

IMG_0354.jpeg

Me too.

20200824_140101.jpg

Edited by fddriver2
got rid of a double picture

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, huck said:

fddriver2, which chain adjuster set are you using. They look very effective and perhaps easier and more accurate to use?

Oh, and cool that you have two identical bikes!🤪

They are Chinese knock off's of the LighTech chain adjusters that I got from @betoney and were massaged by @new1709rider for the cost of shipping. 

Thanks Again Guys!!!!! 😃

Here's the link to the LighTech's at Revzilla  

ligh_tech_chain_adjusters_yamaha_fz09_fj

LighTech anodized aluminum Chain Adjusters allow for uniform and...

For some reason @betoney didn't care for them. I like them, I think they're the "Bee's Knees".  Hopefully he sees this and can remember where he got them.

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, fddriver2 said:
For some reason @betoney didn't care for them. I like them, I think they're the "Bee's Knees". 

Hopefully he sees this and can remember where he got them.

They are in fact from Ebay, though I don't remember which vendor. 

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***