WARNING - fitting Givi crash bars TN2139

happyrider

Received Givi’s new TN2139 bars yesterday and they were just a little bit awkward to fit. 

Fitting the right bar - the bolt at the top front was 10mm too long, if I had forced it in it would have damaged the alloy engine block. Had to cut 10mm off bolt (have informed Givi). The rear top bolt needs an extra 3 washers to make bars align comfortably. Washers disappear into bar tubing so can’t be seen.

Fitting the left bar - the rear lower bolt which goes through the rear engine mount has to be withdrawn, it can be gently tapped out using a long cross head screwdriver. The engine did not move. I replaced the bolt the other way round with the nut on the left. This makes it very much easier to remove the crash bar in the future.

To me they look good, but more importantly they will give lots of protection should I ever have to lay the bike down.

• Thumbsup 2

Hi Piotrek,  yes I have informed Givi who are urgently looking into it. Being an engineer I decided to get on with it and fix the problem myself. It’s not a package fault but a design error as the drawings show an M19x80mm bolt, the thread depth will only take 70mm.

Bugie, ref your request for photos, I can post but the bars look exactly the same as on all the dealer photos.

Edited by happyrider

On 1/11/2019 at 12:27 PM, happyrider said:

Received Givi’s new TN2139 bars yesterday and they were just a little bit awkward to fit. 

Fitting the right bar - the bolt at the top front was 10mm too long, if I had forced it in it would have damaged the alloy engine block. Had to cut 10mm off bolt (have informed Givi). The rear top bolt needs an extra 3 washers to make bars align comfortably. Washers disappear into bar tubing so can’t be seen.

Fitting the left bar - the rear lower bolt which goes through the rear engine mount has to be withdrawn, it can be gently tapped out using a long cross head screwdriver. The engine did not move. I replaced the bolt the other way round with the nut on the left. This makes it very much easier to remove the crash bar in the future.

To me they look good, but more importantly they will give lots of protection should I ever have to lay the bike down.

Am I the only one who can’t see the original post ?? showing as white lettering on a  light background. 

Vic

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, vic said:

Am I the only one who can’t see the original post ?? showing as white lettering on a  light background. 

Vic

@vic - You must be using the light theme for the page.  You can switch at the bottom of the page, use the "theme" drop down.  I have to use the dark theme, the light is too hard on my eyes.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 1/11/2019 at 1:27 PM, happyrider said:

I received my tn2139 crashbars already 2 months ago and encountered thesame problem with the top front bolt on the right side. I added 10mm of washers that just fitted the mounting tube. Here are the pictures I send to the supplier but all they said was that the partnumber was correct for the GT. Like you stated, it's a design fault. Givi should take action.

At the first pic you can see the gap with the bolt completely turned in.

1.thumb.jpg.a4a8d7e8a3f6a0d97911c062b8aac4e3.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.49296369fe1386126d7db0945b8582d9.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.b9e3a49ebb9e5b6680ba203998df5195.jpg

4.jpg.e226b24a5188d6a3f0649ee8a7f772ee.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 5:27 AM, happyrider said:

did you change your text to white?  I just changed it back so people in the white theme can read it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Countersteer,  with help from a buddy we just put it on the centerstand and  put them on.  The instructions like you said are lacking.