Riding with eyeglasses

• Premium Member

After many years of just wearing contacts I will start using glasses part time.  I’m looking for tips ‘n tricks, e.g. suggestions for frames, is it worth using an anti-fog product during cold weather, etc. 

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Faces and prescription spex all vary enormously.   The only 'tip' I'd pass on would be to ensure that the depth of the lens/ frame is not too great.   A spex wearer forever, I have found that on a newer prescription the bottom of the spex is in too-close contact with the interior padding of my helmet, and so the spex tend to be pushed upwards.

I'd very strongly suggest that when trying on the new spex/ frame you put your helmet on as well to ensure no interference between one and the other.   I have also found the drop-down internal sun-visor in my helmets to be a blessing.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, rustyshackles said:

After many years of just wearing contacts I will start using glasses part time.  I’m looking for tips ‘n tricks, e.g. suggestions for frames, is it worth using an anti-fog product during cold weather, etc. 

Had to go back to specs after 12 years of being spec-free thanks to Lasik surgery.  But, Lasik doesn't slow down aging...

When I finally had to go back to permanent specs, my only constraint was that traditional curved eyeglass temples produced pressure points behind my ears after only a short time.  So, I invested in frames with straight, flat temples (Oakley) for my single-vision glasses that I only wear when riding.  The flat temples make these glasses much easier to slip on or off after donning my modular helmet.  No hot spots or pressure points to deal with, either.

Fogging is not an issue for me in cool or cold weather.  I don't have a Pinlock anti-fog liner ,so I just crack my visor to the first notch if I start to fog up, as necessary.

Once I get to my destination, I switch back to my old-man progressive-lens glasses with the aforementioned curved temples.  It's a total drag, but it's about my only option now that I'm a full-time eyeglass wearer again.

Hope this info helps you out, Young Man.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

I only need glasses for distance and can't see my instrument panel through lens.  So, I have glasses that have short/narrow style lens.  This allows me to look straight through the lens for the distance and look underneath the lens to see my instrument panel.    

• Premium Member

Some helmets work better with eyeglass frames than others.  The Shoei Neotec is the best I've found.

Anti-fog is a good thing.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, duhg said:

Some helmets work better with eyeglass frames than others.  The Shoei Neotec is the best I've found.

Anti-fog is a good thing.

Good to know as I have a Neotec.  Planning to replace with Neotec II later this year.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Anti-fog would be good. I have pinlock, and the face shield never fogs but my glasses do. I've used Cat Crap on my glasses with limited success. If I leave the filmy mess on the lenses it helps a little bit, but not 100%. The glasses sales-lady said anti-fog coatings also require some kind of periodic application and don't work much better than Cat Crap.

I'd definitely be interested if people have other more successful experiences with anti-fog for glasses.

• Premium Member

Wearing prescription glasses for 15 years and riding many more years. Anti fog visors or pin locks are handy but they don’t prevent glasses to get fog. I use Walmart brand product to clean prescription glasses and it prevent fog developing or I would say delay a bit. During cold days ride I keep my visor crack open and it help.

Some folks use shaving cream, saliva. Those tricks are handy sometime. 

I ride with progressive glasses and find it nice to see well in the near and far. I highly recommend progressive lenses.

My new helmet has a drop-down sun visor that is REALLY nice and negates the need for Rx sunglasses.

I crack the face shield about 1/4 inch to stop fogging on damp and cold days. Works well.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

What @nhchris said. I also have a Nike sports beanie (thinnest nylon I could find) that I wear. It helps stabilize the glasses and holds my earbuds in.

1273203-001_F?template=v6PdpBg&$size=540
WWW.UNDERARMOUR.COM

Shop Under Armour for Men's UA CoolSwitch Skull Cap in our Men’s Headwear department. Free shipping is available in US.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

The hjc rpha 70 has a slight recess down the sides for glasses. Wouldn't it be nice for someone to see a gap in the market for this purpose ? Maybe there are and I just haven't seen them. They fog up, and in my case, looking at a sat nav I need glasses, riding and looking ahead at road I don't. I pretty much just rely on voice directions as by the time I've squinted at the screen, a few miles have passed. 

I would take my helmet to the store when trying on frames and see how well they fit with your lid on.  That's why I kept my older frames for the helmet because the new ones don't work very well.  Just a thought.

Wearing glasses was a reason I bought a Shoei modular helmet. Much easier to slip it on, don my glasses and then pull the chin bar down for riding.

Also nice to flip it up when fueling and snacking rather than taking it completely off.

cb.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, nhchris said:

Wearing glasses was a reason I bought a Shoei modular helmet. Much easier to slip it on, don my glasses and then pull the chin bar down for riding.

Also nice to flip it up when fueling and snacking rather than taking it completely off.

cb.

I've been wearing flip front (modular) helmets for maybe 15 years; i.e., the original HJC Symax, Nolan N90, G-Max 54S, and my favorite just over the N90, the Kabuto Ibuki (a fantastic piece of design which includes temple slots).  I wear progressive lens (eye glasses for 55 years) and for helmet use the smaller the better.  Only caviat is the shorter lenxs height makes each progressive "zone" smaller so precise head angle to sight target is more exacting.

I also have a pair of Oakleys with straight titanium temples and frame (super light). 

Oddly, I found the Shoei Neotec required me to remove my glasses, not sure about V2.

Fogtech is my favorite treatment 

There is a trick to it. Put helmet and glassses on with visor down, inside building before you leave, and don't lift visor up. Doesn't always work, but that's how some of the old racers did it. They also sealed visor down with tape, but helmets are a bit better now.  They'll have to make a pinlock for glasses ! 

Archived