Riders over 6ft/190cm, what windscreen do you use?

Husqy

I bought my bike in Summer 2017 and the previous owner was gracious enough to include 3 windscreens with the bike... the OEM windscreen, the taller/wider Ermax windscreen and the Yamaha Touring Screen. We all know the OEM one is terrible, so I decided to chop it down a few inches and tint it a bit darker... this is the result (with hard cases and tail bag for touring).

I have 2 tall windscreens, so why the hell am I running that tiny windscreen for touring you ask? Well, both the Ermax and the Touring windscreen have unbearable buffeting and turbulence. The Ermax is the worst at about 90 km/hr but not any better at 110-120 (highway cruising). The Touring windscreen completely sucks after 110 km/hr. They both seem to throw all the turbulent air at my eyebrow.

Therefore, I'm reaching out to you tall guys in the community. What do you use? I think the answer here is 'suck it up, you're tall, no windscreen will help with touring' but I'm hoping someone can be my saving grace! I'd probably sell both windscreens and buy something that actually fits me considering they both sit on a shelf.

6’3” here. I use a VStream sport (shorter than stock) screen in the low position normally. It leaves my head in the wind, but at least in relatively smooth air. The down side is it when it rains, it directs rain right into my collar. So until the rainy season is over, I use a VStream sport touring (medium height, taller than stock) in the high position. A bit of buffeting, but no rain down my collar. Seat is in the low position always. 

I'm an odd ball...even tho I'm 6'1" I don't use a windscreen till it gets cold out i will pop the OEM one(even then it's only like maybe 2wks of riding till ice hits I'm using it)... Much smoother air flow and I like the feel the inputs of the winds force/direction to tell me speed or such... It's a naked(ish) bike compared to a full bubble touring machine, is what I tell myself...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Husqy said:

I think the answer here is '... no windscreen will help with touring'

That may be your answer, but not in the way you intended.  I'm a bit over 6'1" and ran my FJ without a screen at all for a couple of summers...  I found it amusing that Yamaha managed to engineer a standard screen that was noticeably worse than nothing at all.  :)

I come from a sportbike background, and don't mind the wind...  as long as it's clean and smooth.   The stock screen was ridiculously noisy, but I found that by standing up a few inches on the pegs, my helmet would end up in nice and quiet direct airflow.   This led me to just removing the stock screen entirely, and the ensuing revelation that a short screen was the way to go.  

So, I finally settled on a CalSci tinted shorty screen, and couldn't be happier.  It looks a bit like the custom one you've created, but is wider at the base to give a smoother airflow.  A couple of caveats:  I always ride with earplugs, so what I perceive as quiet may be different for you.  And yes, you definitely are more in the direct airflow, but on this bike it works much better for me.  

• Thumbsup 2

@texscottydyeah I think Im in the exact same boat as you... that's why I run my shorty for touring (and 99% of other situations). My previous bike was the naked SV650 so I'll take a lots of clean, laminar air even over a small bit of turbulent air.

I also ride with earplugs (surefire ep4s) but definitely found the buffeting actually pushed my head around, giving me a headache more than being just loud. 

Its too bad because the yamaha touring screen would be perfect if I was maybe and inch or two shorter. When I crouch down, you'd swear you were in a convertible... so nice and quiet!

• Thumbsup 1

I've only had my FJ for a bit over a week but the bike came with a Givi screen and I'm very happy with the wind protection around town and on the highway. Sometimes I rip down the highway at 80-85 and experience only minimal buffeting of the helmet. Screen is in the low position and can be raised another 1"+ which I'd guess would be even better. Btw, I'm 6'2".

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

6' 1" with a 2015 FJ I use an Ermax tall pretty happy with it.

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

For touring I (6'1") run a Parabellm tall (26") screen.  Love it.

No way I could do 8 hour days with no screen.

And it fits without any mods to stock hand guards.

cb

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, nhchris said:

For touring I (6'1") run a Parabellm tall (26") screen.  Love it.

No way I could do 8 hour days with no screen.

And it fits without any mods to stock hand guards.

cb

Interesting... might have to check this one out! Have you found buffeting to be an issue with smaller screens as well?

• Thumbsup 1

I came to the FJ from an ST 1300 and was used to a BIG screen that offered lots of protection. When I first rode the FJ at highway speeds (70 mph +) with the stock screen I was surprised how hard I had to hang on!  The wind blast was unacceptable for me.

I knew then I wanted a tall and protective screen to replace the stock fly screen .

The Parabellum was attractive cause no hand guard mods were required. Got 4k miles on it so far I'm a happy camper. Top of screen at eye level, air over top of my helmet, calm air at my chest.

Works for me!!

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

I agree with others here on the “shorter is better” mindset. But like suspension settings, it’s all subjective. Some like smooth clean air with a short screen while others don’t want to feel any air and use a barn door type screen. 

My brother has a Honda 919 naked with no screen at all and it is a joy to ride, even at 100 mph or 8-10 hours a day on a week-long road trip.  As long as I don’t have turbulence with my head bobbing all around in the wind I am good to go. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

A flat screen with a bit of distance between you and it, is asking for trouble. Air will flow over the top and suck down into the vacuum created by the screen. This then bounces off you upwards and causes turbulence. This happened on my Harley, a Goldwing and this bike.  As Texas has referenced , I have a cbr 600 sportsbike, with a low shield, and a scooter with no shield. Bliss in comparison, but more wind in the chest. That's your trade off. I use an Mra short, not perfect, but that damn roaring is reduced. The headlights also do a nice job of directing turbulent wind underneath my helmet.  

Maybe try this ?

IMG_4248.JPG

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Tripletrouble said:

A flat screen with a bit of distance between you and it, is asking for trouble. Air will flow over the top and suck down into the vacuum created by the screen. This then bounces off you upwards and causes turbulence. This happened on my Harley, a Goldwing and this bike.  As Texas has referenced , I have a cbr 600 sportsbike, with a low shield, and a scooter with no shield. Bliss in comparison, but more wind in the chest. That's your trade off. I use an Mra short, not perfect, but that damn roaring is reduced. The headlights also do a nice job of directing turbulent wind underneath my helmet.  

Maybe try this ?

IMG_4248.JPG

Close, just too many wheels ;)

• Supporting Member
On 4/9/2019 at 9:23 AM, Tripletrouble said:

IMG_4248.JPG

I would immediately put HUGE brakes on the front and see if I could get it to roll over forward like a giant bowling ball. 

Come to think of it, this attitude may be why I've been banned from the country club... 

• Haha 2