2A for DC outlet?!?! What the heck! Please help.

Hi everyone, new on the forums here.  Just picked up a 2019 Tracer 900 GT.  I'll have to do an introduction thread soon, but in the meantime something in the manual caught my eye and wanted to run it past you all...

The DC outlet on the left side of the headlight...the manual says don't exceed  24W (2A).

Every time I find a decent charger for my phone and want to stay under the manuals limits, say a 18W charger, it's always over 2 Amps.

I don't want to be blowing fuses, so can you guys tell me what you have successfully plugged in for long distances without any issues?

I can't seem to fine any 2 Amp chargers worth buying.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Paul

• Premium Member

I run my Garmin gps. And occasionally charge my phone on it and have never blown a fuse even in the rain.  2015 FJ-09 29,000 miles.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

Thanks!  But that's what I'm saying...everything that says 18w or 24w also says they are over 2amps.

Still confused :(

The power is what you are interested in. Keep it under 24 Watts or you will blow the fuse.

Power = Volts X Amps. Your phone charger probably charges at 5 Volts. If so then it can supply up to 24/5 = 4.8 Amps from a 24 Watt source. The actual charging current is probably less because the efficiency of the charger will be less than 100%.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

3 minutes ago, estell said:

The power is what you are interested in. Keep it under 24 Watts or you will blow the fuse.

Power = Volts X Amps. Your phone charger probably charges at 5 Volts. If so then it can supply up to 24/5 = 4.8 Amps from a 24 Watt source. The actual charging current is probably less because the efficiency of the charger will be less than 100%.

Ahh, gotcha.  Thanks!

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, estell said:

Yes, on the front power leads behind the screen, I have the 12v socket connected as well as day time running lights and a hardwired GPS, running with no problems.  @pgeldz - DO NOT attempt to run a tire compressor or heated gear off that circuit.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Good thing I read this thread.

I bought a tire inflator/compressor that was highly rated on line and did not think of looking at the specs.  The owner's manual spec is below.  I almost used it on the last trip for a guy in the group who had low pressure in his back tire.  Is there any way to alter the outlet to use this compressor or I should I just keep it in the car?

1. For use with 12-volt DC power outlet rated 15 amps or higher. Do not use with older 8 amp cigarette lighter receptacles.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, joe72t said:

Is there any way to alter the outlet to use this compressor or I should I just keep it in the car?

1. For use with 12-volt DC power outlet rated 15 amps or higher. Do not use with older 8 amp cigarette lighter receptacles.

No, don't alter the outlet.  If you try to get 15 amps through an 8 amp circuit, you will blow a fuse.  If you want to run an air compressor, install a pigtail directly to the battery and run the compressor from there.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

I plan on getting a Powerlet or something similar to connect directly to the battery so that I can plug in a portable compressor.  In the meantime can a phone be safely charged on the outlet near the headlamp?

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
20 hours ago, joe72t said:

I bought a tire inflator/compressor that was highly rated on line and did not think of looking at the specs.  The owner's manual spec is below.  I almost used it on the last trip for a guy in the group who had low pressure in his back tire.  Is there any way to alter the outlet to use this compressor or I should I just keep it in the car?

Run it off of your batter tender plug most bike compressors come with an adapter for the plug. The tenders have a 7.5amp fuse and are hooked directly to the battery.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I just replaced the 2A fuse with a 10A fuse. The wiring gauge is sufficient for a much larger load than 24W/2A. I run a pair of 3000lm fog lights with the accessory circuit - they are 60W/5A.

Edited by thejrod

1 hour ago, thejrod said:

I just replaced the 2A fuse with a 10A fuse. The wiring gauge is sufficient for a much larger load than 24W/2A. I run a pair of 3000lm fog lights with the accessory circuit - they are 60W/5A.

I hope that works out for you, but I wouldn’t do it myself. I’m sure Yamaha have allowed a bit of leeway in choosing the fuse for that circuit, but I would be worried about the wires getting hot, especially where they are bundled with other wires in the loom.

• Thumbsup 3

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)