This is gonna sound CRAZY - but...

It seems I'm not the only one here who has dropped a nut, bolt, screw, washer, whatever, when working on the front of the bike (all bikes, although mine is GT) around the middle of the handlebar, triple clamp, and nearby areas, only to have it disappear from view as if into some galactic black hole.   I've done it far too often.   But now, my piece of resistance - I dropped spanner there and it clattered down immediately behind the mesh of the rhs front faux air-intake.   I could just see one end of it, and tried to retrieve it, but my clumsy fingers dislodged it totally, and it slipped further down and now is totally out of sight.   I don't believe it's any danger of popping back out and becoming a hazard as I ride, but I'm not willing to leave it there without further effort to remove it..

So - can anyone kindly advise how I can remove the external mesh in its frame to retrieve the spanner.   I'd be mighty grateful for any help!

P1050615.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I think there’s only 3 fasteners that hold the panel.  All are 4mm Allen, 1/4 turn dzeus style fasteners. 2 in front and 1 in the back I believe, silver in color. Remove all 3 and then pull gently to release a pin on the fairing that goes into a rubber grommet, disconnect the turn signal wire (gently lift a tab away from the connector which will allow you to separate the connector into male and female portions, it serves as a lock) and away you go. 

I think the panel moves downward after you release the pin/grommet, there’s a small plastic tab in the bottom of the fairing piece that secures the lower portion  

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

Thanks very much, skip, but I think I've not made it clear which panel the spanner is behind.   In my pic above it's hidden by the mesh-faced roughly triangular part, grey in colour that's inset into the tank (or so it appears), and is immediately above the side fairing.    As you suggest, that fairing panel comes off (and goes back on!) easily enough, but my spanner is elsewhere! 

Thank you anyway for your input - it's appreciated. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

19 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Thanks very much, skip, but I think I've not made it clear which panel the spanner is behind.   In my pic above it's hidden by the mesh-faced roughly triangular part, grey in colour that's inset into the tank (or so it appears), and is immediately above the side fairing.    As you suggest, that fairing panel comes off (and goes back on!) easily enough, but my spanner is elsewhere! 

Thank you anyway for your input - it's appreciated. 

Oh. Then it’s just one more panel, after you pull the central cover. The link above should help. 

To remove the central panel, i think it’s 6 (4?) 1/4 turn fasteners on the top of the cover and 2 4mm Allen’s bear the fuel filler. Then there are 2 more fasteners tucked down and slightly hidden just in front of the tank where it secures to the inner fairing. To remove, point the wheel straight ahead and pull the panel slightly up and toward the rear. After it’s released, I change grip and reach forward and flex each side part slighly so they don’t scrape the underside of the handlebars. You can tape them if you want. 

Next, you’ll see the hidden 4mm Allen screw you uncovered (near the filler cap) followed by 2 more on the side panel (longer) along with a 1/4 turn Phillips plastic fastener. Push the turn signal lead through the slot in the side panel. This panel must be gently lifted from the slot on top of the tank before removing, then it will fall into your hands as you pull it outward gently. Note the rubber grommet and tab on the tank, there’s a corresponding slot under the panel you just removed it fits back into. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skipperT said:

Oh. Then it’s just one more panel, after you pull the central cover. The link above should help. 

To remove the central panel, i think it’s 6 (4?) 1/4 turn fasteners on the top of the cover and 2 4mm Allen’s bear the fuel filler. Then there are 2 more fasteners tucked down and slightly hidden just in front of the tank where it secures to the inner fairing. To remove, point the wheel straight ahead and pull the panel slightly up and toward the rear. After it’s released, I change grip and reach forward and flex each side part slighly so they don’t scrape the underside of the handlebars. You can tape them if you want. 

Next, you’ll see the hidden 4mm Allen screw you uncovered (near the filler cap) followed by 2 more on the side panel (linger) along with a 1/4 turn Phillips plastic fastener. Push the turn signal lead through the slot in the side panel. This panel must be gently lifted from the slot on top of the tank before removing, then it will fall into your hands as you pull it outward gently. Note the rubber grommet and tab on the tank, there’s a corresponding slot under the panel you just removed it fits back into. 

-Skip

There has to be a solution short of setting the bike on fire and retrieving the spanner(?) from the ashes.

coop, stealth, others: thanks!   I'm going to leave well alone, not wanting or indeed needing to take the bike apart to retrieve the spanner!  This'll teach me to be more careful in future when working around that area.  I've already bought a replacement, probably better than the lost one: and being stainless steel the missing one wouldn't respond to a magnet even if I could infiltrate one down there, or even now see it, which looks impossible.

I was not the least concerned with the loss of the spanner itself, just the thought that it might want to escape and jam-up steering or whatever, but that seems highly improbable now.

I appreciate all comments and especially skipper's detailed notes on disassembly. 

Edited by wordsmith

I wouldn’t leave the spanner in there. It’s going to come loose at some point and if you’re riding at the time, could damage not only your bike but perhaps a following vehicle. If it was a small nut I would leave it, but not something that big.

The panels are really simple to remove; the descriptions sound long, but after the first time you do it you can have both sides off and  tank off completely within 20 minutes I reckon. You won’t even have to go that far as you’re only removing one side.

You’re so meticulous about things @wordsmith that leaving this seems out of character.

• Thumbsup 4

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

3 hours ago, BBB said:

You’re so meticulous about things @wordsmith that leaving this seems out of character.

Thank you, BBB.   I feel chastened, and will think on't.

• Haha 1

@wordsmithNot my business at all,man; nonetheless, as a fellow motorcyclist, I feel the need to offer an opinion based on my experience: take the little time required and get the spanner out of there.

I took off all that plastic body panel stuff to change my air filter and then again to Plasti-dip ( with an extra go because I forgot connector 🙄)

Then I took off those butt-ugly  hand guards post reassembly ( looks so much better IMO, and who needs 'em in 100+ weather,eh)

In the process, I dropped one of the hangars, couldn't see it anywhere;  wanted to ride; was tired of fuking around with plastic connectors. I decided it must have fallen on the floor and gone under some shelving or such😜

So off for a ride up in the twistys went I. It seemed like the bike was steering a bit off when I got up into the fun, but I had just gotten new tires( Conti Road Attack 3s, very much better than the stock Dunflops) and attributed the feeling too new rubber.

The next morning, I had another look for the hangar- lo and behold, there it was jammed up against the steering head in the top of the black hole- wasn't there the day before, must have been sitting out of sight and vibrated its way up against the steering head.... 

• Thumbsup 1

Just a minor digression, but whenever I see pix of the innards of a modern motorcycle I'm astounded at the complexity, and in awe and full of respect for those who design, manufacture, and assemble these machines!

25 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Just a minor digression, but whenever I see pix of the innards of a modern motorcycle I'm astounded at the complexity, and in awe and full of respect for those who design, manufacture, and assemble these machines!

Yup. And to think Yamaha can build one on the assembly line every 10-20 minutes!

A video I saw many years ago showed FJR’s being assembled, it was pretty neat. Of course all the sub-assemblies being united into the final bike is what makes this possible. 

Take your fairing panel off, wordsmith. Better yet pull them all off for something to do and stare at the beauty of the FJ’s nakedness!  

😉

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

17 hours ago, wordsmith said:

coop, stealth, others: thanks!   I'm going to leave well alone, not wanting or indeed needing to take the bike apart to retrieve the spanner!  This'll teach me to be more careful in future when working around that area.  I've already bought a replacement, probably better than the lost one: and being stainless steel the missing one wouldn't respond to a magnet even if I could infiltrate one down there, or even now see it, which looks impossible.

I was not the least concerned with the loss of the spanner itself, just the thought that it might want to escape and jam-up steering or whatever, but that seems highly improbable now.

I appreciate all comments and especially skipper's detailed notes on disassembly. 

My secret to finding stuff I've dropped.  My wife.  I can look for 15 minutes and she will walk up and ask if this was what I'm looking for.  My finding ability probably had something to do with my collection of rivets, screws, bolts and washers I had for my ST.  LOL!