Fuel Gauge last 2 blue squares !!!

Gauge doesn't bother me, I know what it does, no problem.

I didn't fill up. gave a twenty and it wasn't full.😭 this has to stop!!!  I've never not got change from a twenty on a bike, even with the 7.7 gallon fill on my previous ST1300.

E0 is $5.15 a gallon. 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

I didn't fill up. gave a twenty and it wasn't full.😭 this has to stop!!!  I've never not got change from a twenty on a bike, even with the 7.7 gallon fill on my previous ST1300.

E0 is $5.15 a gallon. 

I feel your pain, I recently paid almost $25 for a fill-up on my VFR.  Our E10 Premium is about $5.50-$5.70, prices for E0 are a fair bit higher.

I'm going on a road trip next week to California (yes, on purpose) and gas is on average a dollar more per gallon, so I'm anticipating a fill-up to be close to $30 in some areas. 

Its going to be a $$painful$$ summer. 🤬

image.png.7e139ccf546a4f231e20f3e0fa1d68c5.png

• Sad 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Guys, we all know what’s going on in Ukraine and I’m sure we all condemn the invasion. Clearly, it’s pushing up fuel prices, e.g. UK E10 fuel is now around US$9.40 per gallon. Which to European eyes makes $6.50-$6.70 look like a bargain.  I, for one, am now looking at ways to economise to ensure I can continue to have two rides per week. Any suggestions?

57 minutes ago, Paddy01 said:

UK E10 fuel is now around US$9.40 per gallon. 

Imperial gallon?  Isn't your fuel sold by the litre?  How much per litre?

I fueled up this morning near my house at a Chevron.  Price=US$6.70 for premium.  That's the highest I've seen yet.  I recently traveled across Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas, where the same fuel sells for less than $4 per gallon.  Sometimes a little over $4.

Taxes, of course.  You'd think there'd be a lot more grumbling here in California about gas taxes, what with the state recently revealing a 90-something billion $ budget surplus.  But there doesn't seem to be that much grumbling.  In fact, none.  

I am one of the non-grumblers.  The high price of fuel doesn't really bother me.  I'm not rich.  I live on a small pension.  I value the gas highly.  I burn it zealously.  I enjoy burning it every day.  I really don't care what it costs.  If it goes to $20/gal I will eat less, but ride the same miles every day.  I will cut out of the rest of my budget what is necessary to keep riding this motorcycle.  

In any case, prices will come back down.  They always have, they always will.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

I am one of the non-grumblers.  The high price of fuel doesn't really bother me.  I'm not rich.  I live on a small pension.  I value the gas highly.  I burn it zealously.  I enjoy burning it every day.  I really don't care what it costs.

I agree, I don't HAVE to ride, I CHOOSE to ride and I'm riding to California on Friday for a 6- day road trip. 

Of course I wish California's prices weren't so high but riding in California is awesome and I'm fortunate enough to have my health and the means to take vacation days for road trips on occasion. 

• Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, Skidood said:

Imperial gallon?  Isn't your fuel sold by the litre?  How much per litre?

I did the conversion to make it more relatable to you guys across the pond. My observations show £1.69 - £1.74 per litre. Don’t get me started on Motorway (freeway/expressway) service station prices! Up to £1.95. They think they can charge what they like because they have a captive audience. 

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

I fueled up this morning near my house at a Chevron.  Price=US$6.70 for premium.  That's the highest I've seen yet.  I recently traveled across Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas, where the same fuel sells for less than $4 per gallon.  Sometimes a little over $4.

It's probably not selling for < $4/gal right now.  MS has some of the cheapest gas in the country and most no-name gas stations are at $4 for 87 octane with ethanol.  I pay between $4.80 and $5/gal for 93 octane.

BTW - the difference between $3/gal (which I haven't seen in years) and $6/gal for a 45 mpg motorcycle traveling 10,000 miles/year is < $700.  It's another consumable cost for a motorcycle not a make/break expense compared even to some other maintenance items.

• Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, betoney said:

I agree, I don't HAVE to ride, I CHOOSE to ride and I'm riding to California on Friday for a 6- day road trip. 

Of course I wish California's prices weren't so high but riding in California is awesome and I'm fortunate enough to have my health and the means to take vacation days for road trips on occasion. 

That's how I'd look at it also. Yes I will grumble but I would still go because the riding and scenery is good (from what I hear ... never rode there before).

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Anybody try running the CP3 on mid-grade?

Will the ECU compensate for that?

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

14 hours ago, Paddy01 said:

I did the conversion to make it more relatable to you guys across the pond. My observations show £1.69 - £1.74 per litre. Don’t get me started on Motorway (freeway/expressway) service station prices! Up to £1.95. They think they can charge what they like because they have a captive audience. 

I figured you did.  Canada switched to metric in 1975..  Much better system but the change caused an airliner crash afterwards due to a mixup in pounds vs. kilograms. when the plane was being refueled.  In pounds sterling, for your convenience, here its about £1.30

8 hours ago, nhchris said:

Don't do it, its a high compression engine and I am certain the engine does not have a knock/detonation sensor.   That would be the only way the ECU could respond and retard timing.   If you already have AT LEAST  half a tank of 91 then I'd say its OK to add some regular if needed just to get you home.

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/27/2019 at 9:01 AM, superfist said:

I've got a 2015 FJ-09 and  it drops to half at about 100 miles.  I generally figure about 20 miles per bar (4 bars) and that has worked for me.  Then when the bar is gone, and the dash starts flashing, there's about 20 miles left and I consider this the "Reserve" portion.

I got 22 miles out of it in the flashing empty section once and put 4.5 gallons in when I got to the station, so I must have been on absolute fumes.  I generally get approximately 200 miles per tank with an average of 44.4 mpg on the display, so it's pretty accurate for my riding habits while daily commuting.

EDit:  Noticed I wandered into the GT forum section from the homepage area.  I wonder if the fuel calculations on the GT version are different.  It would be interesting to see/compare the behavior from others.

This is my experience on my 2016 as well. Every tank starts out looking like it's going to go for a while because the meter doesn't move, then it drops rapidly after 100 miles.

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, nhchris said:

Yes, depending on what is available in whatever small town I am driving through, I have used regular, mid-grade and premium.  I primarily use premium but havent noticed any adverse effects when using lower octane fuel.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Yes I will grumble but I would still go because the riding and scenery is good (from what I hear ... never rode there before).

If you have never been, you definitely owe it to yourself to take a ride out West, all of the Pacific Coast states are spectacular and offer incredible diversity,- forests, deserts, ocean, canyons and mountains...  LOTS of twisty mountain roads.

• Thumbsup 1