Cornering clearance

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, coachluciano said:

Anyone have any actual lean angle data on this bike in a real legit corner?  I get that data off my Garmin along with G-Force and a crap load of other overlay data. 

I posted this a couple of years back...   I've seen numbers from the EatSleepRide app consistently in the 45 - 50 degree range.  That seems a bit optimistic, but may not be too far off.   Years of racing YSR50s on go-kart tracks has apparently carried over to my street riding, so I'm a 'momentum rider' with flowing lines and more mid-corner speed.  I don't hang off on the street (seems pointless to me), so my riding buddies have commented that I do tend to carry a lot of lean angle. 

-Scott

• Thumbsup 2

11 hours ago, bugie said:

Could be... Or that I actually lean the bike over in a corner

Screenshot_20190808-114712~2.png

nice picture btw.

if i run my tyres to the edges and something like the center-stand is scratching the ground, its a good sign that my suspension isn't up to the task of my riding style, maybe too much rider-sag, too soft damping or springs, IMHO

on your picture it looks to me like your front is collapsing to much and your are not looking like a lightweight jockey ;)

if you like to be offended by my direct language, so be it

This escalated quickly...

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

13 hours ago, Tracerracer said:

maybe your are to fat and or bad suspension settings -.-

52 minutes ago, Tracerracer said:

if you like to be offended by my direct language, so be it

I don't think he was offended, but he could have been and I would have taken his side.

From now on, please keep the "direct" language elsewhere. 

• Thumbsup 3

'15 FJ09

10 hours ago, koth442 said:

I don't think he was offended, but he could have been and I would have taken his side.

Thanks @koth442

@Tracerracer - Definitely wasn't offended, but wouldn't say i appreciated it either. Point of my reply was just to show the lean angle is definitely a factor too. You are right that I am not lightweight at 87kg but definitely not exactly jumbo jet size either. The problem of the centre stand is quite common and some people have either cut the rubber stopper on the centre stand support down, or, removed the centre stand completely. Thanks for the tip that you believe my front end may be collapsing and so need adjustment. This is something I will look into as i would be more than happy to gain extra clearance!

1 hour ago, bugie said:

@Tracerracer - Definitely wasn't offended, but wouldn't say i appreciated it either.

that what i have thought in the first place, because your are from europe like me and not north american, IMHO they are over sensitive in many ways and often forget not everyone has english as their mother language, english is my 3rd

Point of my reply was just to show the lean angle is definitely a factor too. You are right that I am not lightweight at 87kg but definitely not exactly jumbo jet size either. The problem of the centre stand is quite common and some people have either cut the rubber stopper on the centre stand support down, or, removed the centre stand completely. Thanks for the tip that you believe my front end may be collapsing and so need adjustment. This is something I will look into as i would be more than happy to gain extra clearance!

SEE MY REPLY BELOW, this quoting system and editor s*cks 

i have the same weight like you and think at faster pace riding the stock suspension is borderline with our weight, for normal riding its good enough. would like to know what part of corner the picture was done, mid-corner, corner-exit, corner-entry

Edited by Tracerracer
extremly stupid quoting

12 hours ago, koth442 said:

yeah i will do that in future and post somewhere else, have fun.

:head-shaking 

2 hours ago, Tracerracer said:

that what i have thought in the first place, because your are from europe like me and not north american, IMHO they are over sensitive in many ways and often forget not everyone has english as their mother language, english is my 3rd

As a sensitive north american fatty I'm going to have to seek out anti bullying help. Lol.

Over-coddling is thick here and seems to know no continental boundaries. The various ktm street bike forums showed me that. But at least it's not as uptight as fjrforum. Omg, they know drama. 

• Haha 4

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, chitown said:

But at least it's not as uptight as fjrforum. Omg, they know drama. 

You aren't kidding there, not the friendliest bunch (in my limited experience).  I joined their forum while researching a potential FJR purchase and was chastised for not doing my homework or already knowing the answer, seemed like a bunch of grumpy old geezers with elitist attitudes toward outsiders.  Not even remotely friendly toward a newcomer. (again, in my limited experience).

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

You aren't kidding there, not the friendliest bunch (in my limited experience).  I joined their forum while researching a potential FJR purchase and was chastised for not doing my homework or already knowing the answer, seemed like a bunch of grumpy old geezers with elitist attitudes toward outsiders.  Not even remotely friendly toward a newcomer. (again, in my limited experience).

This Forum is one of the better ones in my experience, with a free flow of advice, info, and guidance always available.  But it does lack a bit of lightness and humour at times, IMHO!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

On 8/8/2019 at 5:44 AM, norcal616 said:

There is enough clearance to run near the edge of tire ... That's past lvl 3 fun 🙃

IMG_20190806_182206852.jpg

Thinking about this: I would not recommend going out and hitting lean angles to go past lvl 3 fun just because it was shown on the forum... For me, I'm comfortable with the rear tire slipping/sliding, etc as others may not even like a "lively" rear tire behavior...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 3 weeks later...

of all the bikes i've ever owned, the FJ has the LEAST amount of ground clearance.  i feel like i start hitting hard parts at about 30 degrees of lean.  it's gotten better over time, as i've worn out most of my center stand. haha. 

• Haha 1