Hard start on hot days with bike in direct sun

It was fairly warm here today 32C (89F).  I went to start the bike after work and noticed it was hard to start.  I made sure the fuel pump primed, but it was still hard to start.  I've noticed this happens on hot days.  It may also be a factor that the bike was in direct sunlight.

Edited by TracerAU

Open the fuel tank lid and see if you hear a sound like pressure being released.  Then if it starts easy after that, the breather hose is likely kinked, pinched or blocked.

• Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Thanks to both of you for suggesting the fuel tank breather.  I think this may be the issue.   Today it was just as hot as yesterday.  But before I tried to start the bike, I did as johnmark101 suggested and opened the fuel cap to equalize pressure.  The bike started straight away.  I'll investigate the fuel tank breather hose.

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2019 at 2:48 AM, TracerAU said:

Thanks to both of you for suggesting the fuel tank breather.  I think this may be the issue.   Today it was just as hot as yesterday.  But before I tried to start the bike, I did as johnmark101 suggested and opened the fuel cap to equalize pressure.  The bike started straight away.  I'll investigate the fuel tank breather hose.

Not sure if you are still having this issue and if you have a charcoal canister on your bike but I am in california and had to delete the canister to get it to start when in direct sunlight. It was giving it a super rich condition and would take awhile to kick over. deleted it and it almost completely went away.

• Thumbsup 1

On 12/27/2019 at 5:26 PM, keithu said:

I think the charcoal cannister is only a California thing.

there are a lot of  "Things"  that are just "California Things"  and mostly, they 

S  U  C  K  .......

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, BugsInTeeth said:

there are a lot of  "Things"  that are just "California Things"  and mostly, they 

S  U  C  K  .......

Except the twisty roads, those don't suck... not even a little bit.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, angrygirafe said:

And lane splitting. Wow, I miss lane splitting 😰

Should be legal everywhere... like in Europe.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Yes, the charcoal can is a Cali only thing.

IME they cause problems for starting if they get saturated. This usually only happens after a tip over. If it's getting saturated when the bike is sitting in the sun I'd want to check the other vent (the one to ground) for blockage. That's the one that should piss in the hot sun :) 

Have deleted them on several bikes but only because of cosmetics or real estate. They've never impacted the running of any of my bikes other than after a tip over. 

On 12/28/2019 at 5:32 PM, BugsInTeeth said:

S  U  C  K  .......

Like all the traffic I just sat in... (in a rental cage, wife wouldn't go for a rental motorcycle)

'15 FJ09