Any epic road trips planned for 2020?

betoney

Planning to go from Victoria, BC (via Port Angeles) to eastern Montana (possibly into the Dakotas) and then up to southern Saskatchewan and then back to the coast.  Wife has family from Montana from a long time ago so may explore some of their stomping grounds around Butte and then take it from there.  Looking for scenic route suggestions in Idaho and Montana.  Wife rides a Triumph Bonneville and I am very road oriented with my GT so good asphalt a plus at this point.  

Edited by Burley
spelling mistakes -- keyboard(er) is faulty.

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, Burley said:

Planning to go from Victoria, BC (via Port Angeles) to eastern Montana (possibly into the Dakotas) and then up to southern Saskatchewan and then back to the coast.  Wife has family from Montana from a long time ago so may explore some of their stomping grounds around Butte and then take it from there.  Looking for scenic route suggestions in Idaho and Montana.  Wife rids a Triumph Bonneville and I am very road oriented with my GT so good asphalt a plus at this point.  

If you have never been to Idaho, Highway 12 over Lolo Pass is essential - Lewiston to Missoula.  Or if you are North of Spokane, - Sandpoint to Bonners Ferry to Kootenai Falls to Kalispell will bring you right outside Glacier National Park.

Heading South from Spokane, Highway 95 through Grangeville all the way to Boise is very scenic.  Out of Boise, Highway 21 through Lowman and Stanley is UNBELIEVABLE!

If you have the time while you are in Montana, Beartooth Pass is well worth the trip from Butte.  It is considered one of the top 10 rides in the country.  We rode Beartooth Pass and then Chief Joseph Highway into Cody, Wy for lunch and then continued across the Bighorn Mountains in the afternoon. - Epic is the only word to describe that route.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, Burley said:

Planning to go from Victoria, BC (via Port Angeles) to eastern Montana (possibly into the Dakotas) and then up to southern Saskatchewan and then back to the coast.  Wife has family from Montana from a long time ago so may explore some of their stomping grounds around Butte and then take it from there.  Looking for scenic route suggestions in Idaho and Montana.  Wife rids a Triumph Bonneville and I am very road oriented with my GT so good asphalt a plus at this point.  

And this route across Washington is amazing!  I would include the North Cascades Highway from Burlington to Omak as well, absolutely stunning !

thank you so much @betoney.  I've gone across to Idaho by car but I'll have to check the route I took.  The Montana stuff will all be new.   I was through Glacier Park when I was about 7 in a VW van  but i dont recall much!   I"ll plot these routes and may be back in touch closer to the time.  Thanks again.  

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/7/2020 at 6:32 PM, johnmark101 said:

No rides planned that I would call epic.  But I do plan at least two trips down to the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee.  Will also take in some roads in north Georgia.

This! I do this three times a year,usually.  I will never get tired of this area.

• Thumbsup 1

54 minutes ago, fjray said:

This! I do this three times a year,usually.  I will never get tired of this area.

When you make a trip, you should reach out. I actually moved to Knoxville and haven't found "the good stuff" yet. Probably because I haven't gone far enough east. I'd love for someone to show me around. 

'15 FJ09

1 hour ago, koth442 said:

When you make a trip, you should reach out. I actually moved to Knoxville and haven't found "the good stuff" yet. Probably because I haven't gone far enough east. I'd love for someone to show me around. 

You are not far from hundreds of miles of some of the very best mountain roads in the nation!!   The area where TN, NC and GA share borders has great riding in every direction.  

How long have you lived in Knoxville?? 

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 2/9/2020 at 12:43 PM, johnmark101 said:

You are not far from hundreds of miles of some of the very best mountain roads in the nation!!   The area where TN, NC and GA share borders has great riding in every direction.  

How long have you lived in Knoxville?? 

Since May 2019. I haven't explored very much.

'15 FJ09

3 hours ago, koth442 said:

Since May 2019. I haven't explored very much.

When you do you are in for a real treat.  I have been coming down there several times each year since 2004.  Never gets old.  

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

In late August/early September. Leave Tn and we meet a buddy in MI. Ride up to and across the UP then head west to Glacier NP, Lolo pass, craters of the moon, Tetons/Yellowstone/Beartooth, devils tower, needles highway, Rushmore, and finally the bad lands. Then we head back to sweet Tennessee. 
I can’t wait. 

• Like 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

In late August/early September. Leave Tn and we meet a buddy in MI. Ride up to and across the UP then head west to Glacier NP, Lolo pass, craters of the moon, Tetons/Yellowstone/Beartooth, devils tower, needles highway, Rushmore, and finally the bad lands. Then we head back to sweet Tennessee. 
I can’t wait. 

Good lord, that is definitely epic!  We rode Beartooth into Cody then continued through the Bighorn mountains a few years ago.  What a fantastic day of riding! 

While near the Tetons, if you plan on riding through Jackson, DO NOT try it during rush hour, the traffic is just stupid and a lot of commuters going home over Teton Pass into Idaho. 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, betoney said:

Good lord, that is definitely epic!  We rode Beartooth into Cody then continued through the Bighorn mountains a few years ago.  What a fantastic day of riding! 

While near the Tetons, if you plan on ridingHappy  through Jackson, DO NOT try it during rush hour, the traffic is just stupid and a lot of commuters going home over Teton Pass into Idaho. 

It’ll be around 6200 miles. I’ve been to Jackson. Only place I could afford to eat was Wendy’s. Also lost the entire sole of my boot there. It fell off at a red light. Rode back home to TN with it duct taped on. Good times. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Let’s go Brandon

I’m going to the Touratech west rally, probably be the only FJ-09/Tracer there. I’ll put some off-road tires and guards on it. There’s camping, vendors, seminars, and different levels of trail and street riding around the area in in the mountains. It is in Plain Washington 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, Willie17FJ-09 said:

I’m going to the Touratech west rally, probably be the only FJ-09/Tracer there. I’ll put some off-road tires and guards on it. There’s camping, vendors, seminars, and different levels of trail and street riding around the area in in the mountains. It is in Plain Washington 

Where will you be coming from for the rally?  There is a lot of good riding in that area, I'm not too familiar with the off-road riding available but if you need info on street riding in the area, let me know.

5 minutes ago, betoney said:

Where will you be coming from for the rally?  There is a lot of good riding in that area, I'm not too familiar with the off-road riding available but if you need info on street riding in the area, let me know.

I will be coming from the Snohomish, Wa area. I have not riden in this area. I’ll have to take it easy, especially in a group ride. I’ll be doing some light off-road. I have had it out on gravel/dirt  roads and it does great