My Annual Winter Rant

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Why, oh why, do I have to be at work today?  

Riding weather doesn’t get any better than this...   Unless that's degrees Celsius, in which case you're likely already dead.  :)

51136A1B-ED03-4051-A8AF-F8352503C47C.thumb.jpeg.9ae6236cfe2f4656937bbebe1722cbf8.jpeg

@texscottyd & @keithu - I shouldn't be so cruel when work is the curse of the riding man but here's the current temperature in this part of the world....

Temperature.thumb.jpg.54deedf4ae98062b7582faf89c4c4b03.jpg

Having said that, while it's 30C,  the humidity for the past week or two has been up around 70-80% which doesn't make it particularly comfortable particularly when getting the ATGATT on before a ride - hence the airconditioned 24C preparation room 🙂

But you're right with your comment about if that temp was 65C...... so does that make us almost half dead at 30?!  Feels like it sometimes with that added humidity load!

• Thumbsup 2

Back in those bygone years....the 70's, there was a guy who rode everyday.  His ride was a BSA 441 Victor with a very cleated tire on the back so it was fun watching him on the icy streets using his feet for support.  Thump, thump, thump!

• Thumbsup 1

I enjoy snowmobiling as much as I do motorcycling.  We have about three feet of snow on the ground and snowmobiling has been awesome this. 

My only compliant is those in-between months when you can't ride either type of machine.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2070604&thum

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

I got a slight respite from winter this weekend. Got close to 50 yesterday and 51 today and of course I was out riding. Somehow I've managed to get almost 700 miles since the beginning of December. I did my first oil change today and adjusted the chain. It's always great getting the 1st oil change done because then the bike shifts good. Every bike I've owned started to get harder to shift before the 1st change.

We're almost through January and still a good 2 months from spring. Winter riding is ok but frankly I'm sick of freezing my ass off.

Keep those rants coming. Some of them are pretty entertaining.

Yep, I put a few miles on today here in NH. We had real gulley washer rains last night so roads were nice n clean today once things dried out.

I too adjusted my chain, waxed it up and headed for the hills. Did about 40 miles before losing my hands to the cold.  Bike thermometer got up to a balmy 51 at one point with engine running around 160 all the way.

Life (and Winter) is good!

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
On 1/19/2020 at 11:18 AM, banderso said:

Haha,

Currently 17 degrees, feels like 1...

Breezy....

I moved from North Georgia to Indiana that my spouse could be with the grandkids.....

Ugh......

See ya

bill

I live in northern IN and am looking at north Georgia of eastern TN/western NC.  Ride there at least three times per year and love it there.  Sorry about your luck.

• Premium Member
On 1/19/2020 at 7:59 PM, roadrash83 said:

Crap my bike looked like that last week before I washed it. The only thing it wasn't snow it was F#@*ing rock salt, 4 hours of my life I will never get back.

+1, did that after I last rode on Christmas day.  Took me at least that long plus going to fill up a gas can treated with the Techron stuff rather than Stabil Marine to top of all tanks.  Has sucked pretty much since then.  Doing some maintenance and a few mods this winter.  Really need to change the oil on my two 4-strokes.  Don't have a sled anymore since you have to trailer it anymore to decent trails.  Would ride when there's no ice if it weren't for the salt.

Can't wait for the IMS here in Chicago on the 7th to torture myself...

Don't want to drink alone.  Maybe now that pot is legal here...

PMS.jpg

Frozen MC Waiting 4 wife.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

6 hours ago, betoney said:

Love the photos... is the 2nd photo of @Wintersdark commuting to work? 😲

I've had that happen, actually.  It sucked, a lot more than you may think.  Interestingly it wasn't winter, and was a nice sunny day when I left.  Started raining really hard, then the temp dropped 12C in an hour and a half, turned to snow and started freezing the slush.  All the water kicked up off the road onto me and my bike would freeze pretty much instantly.  It was on my MT07, so no handgaurds or windshield.

By the time I got home, my gloves where so frozen I couldn't take my hands off the controls, and had no feeling anymore.  Soak+freeze is baaaad.  Front of my jacket was a frozen sheet of ice, no feeling below my knees and my boots+pants where frozen together.  

Won't do that again.  Man, the unbelievable pain as I started to warm up and got feeli g back in my hands and feet.  Jesus.

Nothing at all like riding in -30c.  Waaaaay worse.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, chesterburnet said:

Is it spring yet?

We're mid-chinook here, so it certainly feels like spring.  Nice warm 9C ride in to work today, didn't even need my winter gloves or thermal pant liner!  Was wonderful, got to push the GT up over 200 for the first time.

Side note: the Anlas winter tires feel great up to around 180, but at higher speeds start to feel.... Wiggly?  I guess it's just what happens when you've got big bitey tread going on.  I suppose that's reasonable though.

Still, nice to have a couple weeks of spring before it drops into -40 territory again in February.

I haven't ridden since the start of December when it was above 0C and the roads weren't wet or salty. I can take the cold, but I don't want the salt + wet on my bike, rusting it away! With that said, anything less than 7c means the tires are so cold you can't lean the bike over anyways, so where's the fun in that...

Its going to be below zero for at least another month (mid 20s, my free friends), so I just have to suck it up :(. Sometimes I feel better when I snowboard though!

• Premium Member

I disagree you can't lean at 7F (44.6F), drop the pressure and keep the brakes on which heats the wheel and the rubber as much as weaving does, and you can push it quite far albeit not like when it's warmer.

It's not just the corrosion but the time and effort to clean and treat after usually exceeds ride time.

And of course winter tires for traction at low temps.  I've no issues leaning until it's *well* below freezing.  

Even without winters, good rain tires (see: Michelin Road 5's, etc) are formulated for better cold traction.  Specifically for wet and cold, but they work great for around freezing temperatures.

Salt... Yeah, that's a thing.  It's harmless when cold and dry, but you for sure need to rinse it off when it warms up and gets wet.   Fortunately, Alberta is quite a bit drier than Ontario, so there's way less snow and wet to contend with.