Stock FJ 09 on Quarter Mile Drag Strip?

Hi all,

I guess the REAL question I was pondering was...   does the 110 mph limit imposed by the  FJ09 limiter keep the bike from attaining a faster quarter mile time?

I  assume an FJ is still accelerating when the limiter kicks in at 110 and thus could be quicker through the quarter if that was allowed to continue.

For example, I found this online 1/4 mile calculator and it indicates a 600 lb vehicle with 110 hp will turn the quarter in 10.1 at 133 mph.

Just idle Winter mental noodling while it's too cold to ride outside here in anti-Oz...

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

As shown in the two magazine tests I referenced, the speed limiter is reached in the quarter mile on the US spec bikes, likely lengthening the quarter mile times. Another factor likely increasing elapsed time is the significant tendency of the FJ to wheelie under hard acceleration, making full throttle runs. This triple engine is very potent for it’s size, and if the above factors were not in play, probably would allow the bike to approach a sub 11 second quarter.

it makes you wonder what the GT 900 would do, given it has the same engine, minimallly increased weight, a longer swingarm making it less wheelie prone, and is without the 112 mph speed limiter. I don’t recall any formal quarter mile tests on it having been done. 

Yes the FJ-09 could go quicker than the magazine's times even with a speed limit restrictor... the first 60' will make or break it...

A lot of times I suspect these 1/4mile times are made from 1/8th mile times... I don't recall the magazines showing the time slips- that would be more legitimate proof in my book...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

So the longer swingarm of the newer Tracer should be an advantage on the strip as it would launch better.  Do the new Tracers have the speed limiter here in the US?  

On the FJ-09 I would think no matter how you figure it that eventually you should hit the speed limiter and that should slow the bike and your ET down. Certainly a good rider and a good 60’ time would influence at what point you hit the limiter. 

• Supporting Member

Unless your 1/4 mile run is a one-time, just for fun type thing, anyone even remotely serious about taking their bike to the drag strip would have long since done numerous performance and aerodynamic modifications to their bike, including an ECU flash.

I haven't heard whether the Tracer/GT models have the speed limiter that our older FJ's had.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 minutes ago, betoney said:

Unless your 1/4 mile run is a one-time, just for fun type thing, anyone even remotely serious about taking their bike to the drag strip would have long since done numerous performance and aerodynamic modifications to their bike, including an ECU flash.

I haven't heard whether the Tracer/GT models have the speed limiter that our older FJ's had.

They don't.  At least the Canadian ones don't.  

Edit: I assume (but obviously can't know) this is why the Tracers have the longer swingarm and narrower bars than they used to - increased stability at speed - so the limiter isn't necessary.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, nhchris said:

FJ 09s with stock ECUs are limited in speed to 110 mph due to instability at high speeds caused by short wheel base and steep fork geometry.  This limitation can be eliminated by a reflash of the ECU.

@chesterburnet, where do you do your speed runs?  Rt 3 south toward the Cape?

The limited top speed was 115, not 110 as stated.  I know this to be true because I verified it first hand.  I had my ECU reflashed and the limiter was removed but the bike COULD become unstable at higher speeds therefore I rarely exceeded 100 on her.  Some days she would be fine other days not so much.  My theory was the Shad 36's I had on her were affected by the wind which would lead to the high speed wooble.  I now ride a Tracer 9 GT that is very stable at any speed.  I will say I found my FJ09 to be more fun.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member

I thought it was 114 and what is what I saw on my GPS before my flash but 115 is close enough for the girls we go out with!

I've read the T9 is overall better and more civilized but several testers have also said it's lost the bad boy edge that makes my 15 more fun.

I've got too much invested in it to get a T9 for the relatively marginal gain.

A nice S1000XR for a good price on the other hand...

19 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I thought it was 114 and what is what I saw on my GPS before my flash but 115 is close enough for the girls we go out with!

I've read the T9 is overall better and more civilized but several testers have also said it's lost the bad boy edge that makes my 15 more fun.

I've got too much invested in it to get a T9 for the relatively marginal gain.

Then you will have to change your screen name to “2, 3, and 4 cylinders”.

• Haha 2

On 3/25/2022 at 1:10 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I believe that someone I know here is selling his red 2020 .....not sure if you'd be willing to come this far...

Edited by Skidood

There was a fella on the Kawasaki ZX6R board a few years back that got his "stock" 2013 or 2014 ZX6R into the 9s with just careful setup.  He may have degreed the cams but no big mods and as I recall no add ons.  Just careful setup.  Thats a 129hp 425 pound bike that is not so wheelie prone but somewhat similar power and a bit less weight.  He was an experienced drag racer and was just fiddling with the ZX6R for grins.  At the time I had a 2014 ZX6R 636 ABS.  Of course the extra weight of the ABS kept me out of the 9s - I deny anything to do with my weight or skill 🙂 

• Haha 1