Mods for tall people?

Hi. For tall people like me (6'2"), the bike is ok for the first hour of driving, yet after that time, you start to get tired... The sitting position from the wrist up, it's fine as I did got handle bars risers. I have a Sargent seat, in the upper position. Yet as my legs are long, I have them too bent, and with the foot pegs a bit behind, like the usual sports bike. I miss the ergonomics of the old tenere xt660z... Was a tall bike for tall people, very comfortable. Any one of you with the same situation, has any suggestion on a possible modification or accessory in the FJ-09 to have it a bit more comfortable?

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, alquimista said:

Hi. For tall people like me (6'2"), the bike is ok for the first hour of driving, yet after that time, you start to get tired... The sitting position from the wrist up, it's fine as I did got handle bars risers. I have a Sargent seat, in the upper position. Yet as my legs are long, I have them too bent, and with the foot pegs a bit behind, like the usual sports bike. I miss the ergonomics of the old tenere xt660z... Was a tall bike for tall people, very comfortable. Any one of you with the same situation, has any suggestion on a possible modification or accessory in the FJ-09 to have it a bit more comfortable?

Being able to move my legs was crucial for improved comfort.  This isn't my video, but I use the frame sliders in the same manner while on longer rides.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I usually try to avoid conflict on the Internet these days, but factually speaking there is barely any difference between the FJ-09 and XT660Z ergos. According to cycle-ergo.com, the only difference for someone of my height (6'3", 33" inseam) is the knee angle:

FJ-09: 82 degrees

XT-660Z: 90 degrees

Lean and hip angles are the same. So yes there is a *slightly* sharper knee bend but it's not exactly in the sport bike category. Even the FJR-1300 has a sportier riding position than the FJ.

Sorry. That out of the way... I think the easiest thing would be to have a seat custom made that raises you up a bit. Also consider better footpegs. They won't increase knee room but they will still improve support and comfort for bigger feet:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Footrest-FJR1300-FZ1000-Horizon/dp/B07D6JS8S7/ref=asc_df_B07D6JS8S7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343238583731&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6883480098202082375&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005290&hvtargid=pla-759880094357&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=71715066849&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343238583731&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6883480098202082375&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005290&hvtargid=pla-759880094357

It would probably be a bit of a waste with the aftermarket sargent seat you have but on my last bike when i went on longer tours I used an airhawk seat cushion. I found the extra few inches of leg room it provided useful on longer hauls, I didn't tend to use it on a day to day basis. (also doubled as an extra pillow for the camping tours)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 3:22 PM, HGP61 said:

It would probably be a bit of a waste with the aftermarket sargent seat you have but on my last bike when i went on longer tours I used an airhawk seat cushion. I found the extra few inches of leg room it provided useful on longer hauls, I didn't tend to use it on a day to day basis. (also doubled as an extra pillow for the camping tours)

I got the Airhawk seat cushion. Additional to reducing butt pain for a long trip, it gave me one or a  bit more of a centimeter higher on the sitting position... Was a good difference. Thank you, HGP61

Edited by alquimista

On 2/3/2020 at 1:03 PM, Buggy Nate said:

Buell footpegs used to be a good mod for the long legged people. They drop down around 10-15 mm which can make a difference.

Hi, any particular Buell model footpegs ? thanks.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sheepskin butt pad.  I've used one for years on different bikes.  I'm also tall, 6'4".  Some come with a valasic foam in it.  That's what you want.  Boosts you up an inch, which makes a big difference.  You can also move the pad around if you buy a large one.  
That way it puts pressure on different parts of you butt to give you a break.  I don't leave home without it.  

• Thumbsup 1

I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I have the sw-motech crash bars and they serve as perfect leg-resters on those highway trips. I also have cruise control through my ECU... using that in combination with a pillion bag means I can set the CC, put my legs up and actually lean back a bit onto my bag. Very comfy.

The one issue is I have not found a windshield that gives me clean air; it all ends in buffeting. I got fed up, made my own little fly shield and pretty much ride the bike naked. Its a bit tiring, but I came from a naked bike so I'm kind of used to it. I can do 2-3 hours on the bike pretty easily without needing to stop.

10 hours ago, Husqy said:

I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I have the sw-motech crash bars and they serve as perfect leg-resters on those highway trips. I also have cruise control through my ECU... using that in combination with a pillion bag means I can set the CC, put my legs up and actually lean back a bit onto my bag. Very comfy.

The one issue is I have not found a windshield that gives me clean air; it all ends in buffeting. I got fed up, made my own little fly shield and pretty much ride the bike naked. Its a bit tiring, but I came from a naked bike so I'm kind of used to it. I can do 2-3 hours on the bike pretty easily without needing to stop.

@Husqy - what shields have you tried? I'm 6'4 and on the verge of getting a barn door of some sort, but keep hearing people say they haven't found anything that helps.

Edited by Maverick302

5 minutes ago, Maverick302 said:

@Husqy - what shields have you tried? I'm 6'4 and on the verge of getting a barn door of some sort, but keep hearing people say they haven't found anything that helps.

@Maverick302 Some good reading in here (https://www.tracer900.net/topic/6975-screen-for-tall-rider/#comments) where I've posted before, but to answer your question,  I have the Yamaha Touring Screen (24"?) and the Ermax 20" screen... both are terrible for wind buffeting at highway speed.

Popular option is the Madstad 26" - https://madstad.com/products/yamaha-tracer-900-2019?variant=19992266670193

I did have someone mention to me that the Parabellum is the tallest/biggest you can find (http://parabellum.com/FJ-09-Replacement-Touring-Windshield-P124.aspx) also at 26", but I haven't gambled on it as I'm up in Canada. The only people I've chatted with personally who used the above 2 are all shorter than me, so it doesn't really help :P 

6 minutes ago, Husqy said:

@Maverick302 Some good reading in here (https://www.tracer900.net/topic/6975-screen-for-tall-rider/#comments) where I've posted before, but to answer your question,  I have the Yamaha Touring Screen (24"?) and the Ermax 20" screen... both are terrible for wind buffeting at highway speed.

Popular option is the Madstad 26" - https://madstad.com/products/yamaha-tracer-900-2019?variant=19992266670193

I did have someone mention to me that the Parabellum is the tallest/biggest you can find (http://parabellum.com/FJ-09-Replacement-Touring-Windshield-P124.aspx) also at 26", but I haven't gambled on it as I'm up in Canada. The only people I've chatted with personally who used the above 2 are all shorter than me, so it doesn't really help :P

Thanks. Madstad is at the top of my list.

• Thumbsup 1

I’m 6.1 and run the Parabellum 26.  it  Works great for me.

i have the Comfort Seat in the high position.

But if you’re 3 inches taller I don’t think the 26 would be big enough.  Rough air flows just over the top of my helmet.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

12 hours ago, nhchris said:

I’m 6.1 and run the Parabellum 26.  it  Works great for me.

i have the Comfort Seat in the high position.

But if you’re 3 inches taller I don’t think the 26 would be big enough.  Rough air flows just over the top of my helmet.

Thanks for checking in... and at least it confirms my suspicion :P

I'm starting to think there's no way I get clean air on this bike... Maybe I need to switch to a goldwing or something ;)